Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Health insurance troubles!

Health insurance troubles!

Old Jan 22nd 2016, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Health insurance troubles!

I think a lot of it has to do with the old "Brit" mentality around health care and the NHS. It was a noble project of the Labour Party of the time but in reality unsustainable in its present form.

Be thankful you are in Germany. In my experience the healthcare system works there at least, and there is a decent system in place for the elderly should you no longer be independent.

As it is healthcare is in a poor state in many EU countries..and OK, you have to "pay" for it in a different way. I am in NL and here the annual costs are phenomenal before you have even been to a doctor. Even so I at least know the facilities are pretty good and efficient.

My own elderly parents are in UK and just getting appointments arranged within a reasonable timeframe is a nightmare, let alone any other incidents the may crop up.

The whole EHIC thing is fine but really only meant as a temporary measure if you are abroad..not if you are resident abroad. Its surprising how many try to get away with it long term.

I think you'll find it difficult to be in that status but also get UK to pay your medical cover or even more to get the German authorities to accept it.

If you are paying in Germany then you will be exempt paying in UK, that's how the rules are supposed to work both for medical and tax. (though you may have to pay a small supplement)

I don't know how it is regarding (income) tax on your UK pension, but I should imagine it's the same, and likewise any Forces pension. That's why the taxation agreements are there.

So for the time being you are safe (until the referendum)
Old Feb 24th 2016, 11:48 am
Just Joined

Kidja is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Health insurance troubles!

My husband and I are both retired now and both entitled to a UK State Pension. We currently live in Switzerland but are looking to move as the cost of living is very high here. I understand that we are entitled to complete and register Form S1 (Europe) or E121 for Switzerland in order to receive the same level of health care paid for by the government as would a citizen. This varies from one country to another. The UK authorities do not know what this would amount to in the case of Germany. For example in France the state pays 70% of the health costs and you need a supplementary insurance for the remaining 30%. In Ireland it is means tested and you get nothing unless you are on an extremely low income. I am trying to find out what the State would pay for in Germany. Does anyone know or can point me in the direction of a site or link that could provide me with this information? Many thanks for your help.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 1:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kidja
My husband and I are both retired now and both entitled to a UK State Pension. We currently live in Switzerland but are looking to move as the cost of living is very high here. I understand that we are entitled to complete and register Form S1 (Europe) or E121 for Switzerland in order to receive the same level of health care paid for by the government as would a citizen. This varies from one country to another. The UK authorities do not know what this would amount to in the case of Germany. For example in France the state pays 70% of the health costs and you need a supplementary insurance for the remaining 30%. In Ireland it is means tested and you get nothing unless you are on an extremely low income. I am trying to find out what the State would pay for in Germany. Does anyone know or can point me in the direction of a site or link that could provide me with this information? Many thanks for your help.
We had a similar argument in the Ireland forum, but if you are receiving a UK state pension you are entitled to free health care in any EU state, so it's not down to the country you are residing in to decide. If you ring the international pension centre they should be able to tell you what's covered.Main thing is that you ring the below number:

You will need to apply for an S1 form (certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre, which can be reached on +44 (0)191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant foreign authorities before you register with your local GP surgery. Once you have registered your S1 abroad, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access necessary state-funded medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries outside the country you are currently residing in, including when you return to the UK.

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 24th 2016 at 1:55 pm.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:14 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. I have been in touch with the International Pensions people by phone in Newcastle and the Form S1 only entitles you to the same level of state health cover that a citizen of that country would get which varies from one country to another. We are not entitled to an EHIC form as we do not live in the UK. How did you get on in Ireland as this was one of the places we considered but because State health support is means tested in Ireland and you need a very low income to qualify we would not get anything paid for by the UK as our income would be too high.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kidja
Thanks for the reply. I have been in touch with the International Pensions people by phone in Newcastle and the Form S1 only entitles you to the same level of state health cover that a citizen of that country would get which varies from one country to another. We are not entitled to an EHIC form as we do not live in the UK. How did you get on in Ireland as this was one of the places we considered but because State health support is means tested in Ireland and you need a very low income to qualify we would not get anything paid for by the UK as our income would be too high.
Ireland is a great country in my opinion (that's why I'm here:-), but unfortunately there is a lot of wrong information in the Ireland forum. I work myself and pay for private health care, which allows me to go to private clinics. The problem I see is that certain public hospitals have long waiting lists, however it's not that all have this problem and you can find the same in the UK/Germany etc. so it depends where you live or go to, but I will come back to that later.

There are two ways of accessing healthcare services in Ireland, either as a public or private patient.Every Irish citizen or person who is ordinarily resident in the country has access to public hospital services, whether you have health insurance, a medical card or nothing at all.However, the catch is that these services are not free and you may be subject to waiting times depending on your medical condition.This can often be the case for certain orthopaedic procedures such as if you require surgery for a dodgy knee or hip.

I think I broke my ankle so I am going to go to the A&E – what will be the damage? Unless you hold a medical card, you will be charged €100 for all treatment received in a public hospital accident and emergency room.If you have already consulted your GP and you have a referral letter, then this charge will not apply.

Uh oh, they think it might be serious so they are keeping me overnight, how much is this going to cost? The bad news. You will have to pay €75 for each night in the public hospital. The good news is the amount is capped. You will only have to pay up to 10 nights in any 12 month period to the maximum of €750.

The thing is, that as a UK State pensioner you are entitled to free health care in Ireland like in any other EU state with your S1 form. Be it UK/ Ireland/Germany, every EU citizen has the option to use the cross border agreement, meaning that if you need a hip replacement and the local hospital has long waiting times, you can go to any other public hospital in Europe HSE.ie - Accessing Healthcare Abroad under CBD
Old Feb 24th 2016, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Another poster called not2old actually posted this in the Malta forum today, which might also be interesting for you:
Senior Care Blog and Information > The Essential Guide to Benefits and Entitlements for Older People in Ireland
Old Feb 24th 2016, 6:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

It is simply NOT TRUE that pensioners will get free health care in any EU State. You will get the same health care as a local receives. That is not the same. Moses posts constantly misleading information.
Old Feb 24th 2016, 7:56 pm
Forum Regular

hales is on a distinguished road

I live in Germany and pay towards my medical insurance. Maybe it is because I worked on the German economy after leaving the Forces.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 3:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
We had a similar argument in the Ireland forum, but if you are receiving a UK state pension you are entitled to free health care in any EU state, so it's not down to the country you are residing in to decide. If you ring the international pension centre they should be able to tell you what's covered.Main thing is that you ring the below number:

You will need to apply for an S1 form (certificate of entitlement) from the International Pension Centre, which can be reached on +44 (0)191 218 7777. Once issued, register the S1 form with the relevant foreign authorities before you register with your local GP surgery. Once you have registered your S1 abroad, you will be entitled to apply for and use a UK-issued EHIC to access necessary state-funded medical treatment when you visit other EEA countries outside the country you are currently residing in, including when you return to the UK.
Surely that says access necessary state-funded medical treatment which is NOT the same thing as free health care

Please make sure your nformation is accurate.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Surely that says access necessary state-funded medical treatment which is NOT the same thing as free health care Please make sure your nformation is accurate.
People who are exempt from the means test
  • Those with EU entitlement — see 'Further information' below
  • Children under 18 years of age who are diagnosed with cancer
  • People affected by the drug Thalidomide
  • Women who have had a symphysiotomy
Entitlement under EU RegulationsIf you are getting a social security pension from another EU/EEA country or Switzerland, or if you are working and paying social insurance in one of these countries, you may qualify for a medical card under EU rules if you are ordinarily resident in Ireland
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
It is simply NOT TRUE that pensioners will get free health care in any EU State. You will get the same health care as a local receives. That is not the same. Moses posts constantly misleading information.
I said with a UK State pension. If you've paid into the British tax system all your life, why shouldn't you be entitled to healthcare as a pensioner, especially if the UK has an agreement with these countries (see my last post).

Under EU Regulation people moving from one Member State to another Member State within the European Union “retain the rights and advantages acquired”through social insurance contribution made in their home country and this includes access to health services. EU pensioners resident in Ireland and who are in receipt of a qualifying pension as evidenced by form E121 are entitled to a Medical Card provided they are not subject toIrish social security legislation (see footnote, under 5.1).Pensioners from the UK must provide proof that they are in receipt of a UK social security pension. (The UK social security pension is the only qualifying UK pension for entitlement under EU legislation).

What health services are normally covered?If you have a medical card, you are entitled to:

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 25th 2016 at 7:22 am.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:22 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

That must be old information as the E121 was done away with a few years ago, it's now the S1.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by mikelincs
That must be old information as the E121 was done away with a few years ago, it's now the S1.
Yes E121 is basically now S1, but this was taken from the HSE website.I'm not a pensioner, but I try to explain what people are entitled to and if the Great Britain is so Great:-), it's only fair that Pensioners have entitlements in Ireland if there's an agreement.

Here it is again under 3. To Qualify for a Medical Card by Automatic Entitlement

HSE.ie - Can I apply for a Medical Card?

Last edited by Moses2013; Feb 25th 2016 at 7:29 am.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Under EU Legislation if you receive a State Pension from one country and you go to live in another EU country, with Form S1 you are entitled to free State Health care as provided to nationals of that country living in that country, if any. In Ireland you MAY be entitled to a medical card but that is means tested as it is for Irish nationals living in Ireland and if your income is above the threshold you will not get one. In Switzerland there is no State health care therefore even with Form S1 you have to pay for everything. In France the States pays 70% of the health care costs and this is what the UK government would pay for a British national living in France. What I would like to know is what, if anything, does the German government pay for in terms of health care for their nationals living in Germany as this is what we would be entitled to if we moved to Germany. The International Pensions Office in Newcastle could not tell me this.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by scot47
And scot47. Just to make it clear, you have access to all services a local has, but it doesn't mean you have to pay because Albert E has to pay. To make it more German, my parents have actually worked in Germany and paid for their Krankenversicherung , but will retire here in Ireland. They will also have to fill out the S1 form with the Krankenkasse in Germany and then it will be transferred to Ireland. Any costs that come up here in Ireland are covered through their German Krankenversicherung.

In any case, you should speak to your health provider in the country you are coming from, to make sure what's covered for you in another EU State.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.