Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Goldsmith Jobs in Germany + general expat info?

Goldsmith Jobs in Germany + general expat info?

Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:03 am
Forum Regular

alliekat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Goldsmith Jobs in Germany + general expat info?

Hello! My husband and I are considering a move to Germany. He's a UK citizen and I'm American.

He's been a goldsmith for over 20 years, and has owned his own business all the time.

He'd like to try to work for someone else for a change.

I teach ESL.

Does anyone know how to find goldsmith jobs in Germany? I've been searching for hours and can't find a thing! ESL jobs I would assume are a bit easier to find?

Also, any input on residency, insurance, apartment rentals and general info is welcome!!

Thanks!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Goldsmith Jobs in Germany + general expat info?

ESL is not as easy as you might think in Germany. There ARE jobs. Easier if you have EU citizenship, but do not expect to get much of an income. For more see Daves ESLcafe.

I have NO IDEA about Goldsmith's jobs.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 12:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by scot47
ESL is not as easy as you might think in Germany. There ARE jobs. Easier if you have EU citizenship, but do not expect to get much of an income. For more see Daves ESLcafe.

I have NO IDEA about Goldsmith's jobs.
I'm already working for a German company teaching online, so I suppose I can just continue to do that. =)

Thanks for responding!
Old Dec 16th 2012, 7:15 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

hi, this is one of the results of a Google search under "Goldschmied Jobs in Deutschland"
http://www.jobanova.de/jobs/Goldschm...n/Deutschland/
and shows that there are opportunities for goldsmiths in Germany - industrial, creative or in retail. But your OH would probably have to be able to speak German in order to get a job.
As to rentals, my two Anglo-French daughters live in Germany and we are the Guarantors for their flatshare as their incomes aren't high enough, i.e. the same type of rental regulations exist there as in France. Check that aspect if you haven't got a sufficient steady income.
Check whether your OH's UK NI contributions would cover your healthcare coverage at the beginning if you haven't got jobs to go to.
Others will come along with info for Germany, but have you considered the Netherlands or a EU Scandinavian country where English is more widely spoken?
P.S. Have just noticed your thread in the Netherlands forum!

Last edited by dmu; Dec 16th 2012 at 7:19 am.
Old Dec 16th 2012, 8:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

NI Contributions have no bearing on Health Care. You need an EHIC. Check on one of the NHS sites where you can apply for an EHIC FREE.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...-the-ehic.aspx

You get it FREE there. Watch out for other, pirate sites that charge you !

Last edited by scot47; Dec 16th 2012 at 8:29 pm.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
NI Contributions have no bearing on Health Care. You need an EHIC. Check on one of the NHS sites where you can apply for an EHIC FREE.

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthc...-the-ehic.aspx

You get it FREE there. Watch out for other, pirate sites that charge you !
Hi, my daughter's French EHIC card expired because she hadn't contributed enough to the French Social Security before she went to Germany. They are also free in France.
I advised the OP to check on her OH's status, just to be sure. As an American, she won't be aware of the system in Europe....
In fact, whichever EU country they go to, the OH would have to get the Card....

Last edited by dmu; Dec 17th 2012 at 7:39 am.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 11:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
http://www.jobanova.de/jobs/Goldschm...n/Deutschland/
and shows that there are opportunities for goldsmiths in Germany - industrial, creative or in retail. But your OH would probably have to be able to speak German in order to get a job.
As to rentals, my two Anglo-French daughters live in Germany and we are the Guarantors for their flatshare as their incomes aren't high enough, i.e. the same type of rental regulations exist there as in France. Check that aspect if you haven't got a sufficient steady income.
Check whether your OH's UK NI contributions would cover your healthcare coverage at the beginning if you haven't got jobs to go to.
Others will come along with info for Germany, but have you considered the Netherlands or a EU Scandinavian country where English is more widely spoken?
P.S. Have just noticed your thread in the Netherlands forum!
Thanks so much for all the advice! Google translate is brilliant for translating the jobs! It's looking like Germany is the only country with an economy that merits a job hunt in.

We have definitely considered The Netherlands, and it's our first choice, but can't find any leads on jobs for him there. There's still time, however!

Thanks again for your input!
Old Dec 17th 2012, 9:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

UK media is full of the stories about the imminebt death of the Euro and the Eurozone, but what they don't tell you is that the German economy is BOOMING.