Germany

Old Dec 16th 2007, 6:23 pm
logga8

logga8 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Germany

hi cartooncat i live near you just south of düsseldorf if you want plse get in touch as i live in a graveyard as well
Old Dec 21st 2007, 8:19 pm
logga8

Originally Posted by cartooncat
I've been living in Germany for fifteen years, though I'm new to this forum.

I'm in Meerbusch, just outside Düsseldorf. Is anyone here local to me?
hi i live not far from you down the a 59 at monheim am rhein get in touch if you want
Old Jan 3rd 2008, 7:39 pm
Just Joined

georgeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Tim,

There is a stack of info regarding receiving UK TV over at toytown/britboard. Basically if you have the standard german setup it you need to move the dish slightly to hit Astra2d satelite. Then I could retune my german sat reciever to recieve bbc1234 and ITV1234. Later I bought a Sky Box to get the rest. Down towards munich i needed an 80cm dish.

Maybe that helps.

Originally Posted by timmorris
Hi,

I'm new to this site, and new to Germany, so thought I'd post a quick reply to this thread.

I moved to the Stuttgart area beginning of September, but have just moved into my first flat. Now I'm trying to sort out some TV to watch! I lived in a hotel for 2 months and got used to German cable... but now I've only got satellite and most of it is either French or just downright atroscious!

Anyway, hope to get some good hints and tips from fellow expats on this site.

Tim.
Old Jan 5th 2008, 10:47 am
Daw
Just Joined

Daw is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by georgeb
Hi Tim,

There is a stack of info regarding receiving UK TV over at toytown/britboard. Basically if you have the standard german setup it you need to move the dish slightly to hit Astra2d satelite. Then I could retune my german sat reciever to recieve bbc1234 and ITV1234. Later I bought a Sky Box to get the rest. Down towards munich i needed an 80cm dish.

Maybe that helps.
Hi All

If you live on the coast, I'm near Emden in the Ost-Freisland, you can pick up Terrestrial if you've got a big enough aerial and a fair wind blowing in

Darren
Old Jan 8th 2008, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Guys..you are so lucky to live in Germany..I'm a German living in the UK and it is no fun...I really like the UK but I don't like were we live...we live in Pinner which is a London Borough and everything is soo expensive.
Hubby is British and works here for Nato..we are trying to buy a house since two years but it is just impossible...nothing really under 400k for a semi ..which is as you know 600.000 Euros..and you know what you can get in Germany for that...and renting..don't start me..its a nightmare to rent in the UK..we pay £1300 a month for an old crap house...and the streets are so dirty here.
Why do people don't look after their property? I will never understand. I also miss German restaurants were they sell nice proper cooked food.

So be glad to be were you are and enjoy.
Old Jan 8th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

pdohr is an unknown quantity at this point

@eurotramp
I can fully understand you. I´m dual citizen, UK/German (born in UK, educated in Germany). I lived in London for 6 years before moving to Brazil some 20 years ago.

During one of my visits to London (1991), I found the city to be very clean and pleasant, however, last year (2007) I went back for another visit. This time, it was very depressing. My impression is that the UK is slipping into Third World status pretty fast (I live in a 3rd world country, so I know what I´m talking about). Instead of spending a month as planned, I flew out the next day – what a relief!. For me, the UK will forever remain as a fond memory as it was in the past, not the hellhole it has become…

Before revisiting the UK, I had spent 2 months in Cologne, Germany, for the Soccer World Cup. It was just wonderful – no security issues, clean streets, nice people.

When walking around in London, I have this tense feeling of insecurity, just as I have in Rio. I felt a lot more relaxed while in Cologne.
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:47 pm
Just Joined

gisela will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by logga8
its the cost of living ,lack of work,low wages.plus ive worked for 5 german firms and it makes no difference how you work they still rip you off.
hi logga!
i am curious about your time in monheim am rhein, because i was born there and have been living abroad now for the longest time, including london for 15 years. i'd be very interested to hear what has become of this old village and what it was like for you to live there. episodes and anecdotes welcome.
mamone
Old Feb 4th 2008, 4:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by logga8
its the cost of living ,lack of work,low wages.plus ive worked for 5 german firms and it makes no difference how you work they still rip you off.
surly you must be joking..cost of living? When did you last lived in the UK
Old May 3rd 2008, 4:00 pm
logga8

Originally Posted by gisela
hi logga!
i am curious about your time in monheim am rhein, because i was born there and have been living abroad now for the longest time, including london for 15 years. i'd be very interested to hear what has become of this old village and what it was like for you to live there. episodes and anecdotes welcome.
mamone
hi gisela
its probably changed quite alot since you left,very quiet almost like an egyptian pyramid lol.send a reply and let me know what you remember and ill see if it matches up with what you say.ie pubs streets .town centre ,schools .if you make a return visit plse let me know as we might meet up for a meal, logga8
Old Oct 26th 2008, 11:43 am
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

I have lived in Bavaria since 1967, with a 5 year gap, when we lived in Holland. We love the Bavarians and find them very friendly. Dont mistake their bluntness as unfriendliness. If you want to become friends then it is essential to learn German. How many of you in the UK make friends with people you cant communicate with? Dont expect everyone to speak English abroad.
If anyone wants information about living in Bavaria, keep this thread alive. Or keep writing new ones and maybe there will be a German forum started.
A very happy Expat.