Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

English Attitudes to Germany

English Attitudes to Germany

Old Jan 29th 2019, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default English Attitudes to Germany

I worry that this man's views are held by many others. Germans have learned from our past. Many Anglos have not

https://www.dw.com/en/pro-brexit-mp-...ief/a-47243622
Old Jan 30th 2019, 9:43 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: English Attitudes to Germany

Originally Posted by scot47
Many Anglos have not
Too true!
Old Jan 31st 2019, 6:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
I worry that this man's views are held by many others. Germans have learned from our past. Many Anglos have not

https://www.dw.com/en/pro-brexit-mp-...ief/a-47243622

It just goes to show how feeble-brained and especially short-sighted many of these pro-Brexit MP's are. Ender's comment has nothing to do with "Teutonic arrogance", it's simply good business common-sense.
Again 'common-sense', that essential ingredient so frequently absent today with politicians and many others.
Old Jan 31st 2019, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Whether it is good business sense or not, it sounds like a threat to me to try to influence our exit from the EU. I would suggest that Brits north of the border (not just Anglos who scot47 always appears to dislike), are also wary of the threats made from Europe over the past couple of years. A number of EU politicians have said they want to punish us, but is this solely the result of Brexit, or are they using it as an excuse for something else?

I like Germany and I have friends there, but with German politicians not wishing to cover the EU contributions it will lose when we leave, they will recruit anyone who can pressure us with threats of losing contracts.

Old Feb 1st 2019, 7:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries
Whether it is good business sense or not, it sounds like a threat to me to try to influence our exit from the EU. I would suggest that Brits north of the border (not just Anglos who scot47 always appears to dislike), are also wary of the threats made from Europe over the past couple of years. A number of EU politicians have said they want to punish us, but is this solely the result of Brexit, or are they using it as an excuse for something else?

I like Germany and I have friends there, but with German politicians not wishing to cover the EU contributions it will lose when we leave, they will recruit anyone who can pressure us with threats of losing contracts.

The threat is Brexit not the EU. You are leaving, nobody, really NOBODY is stopping you. The UK is the one who consantly comes crawling back to the EU demanding that the EU submit to the UK's desires which the EU won't do and has the right not to do. So if there is no area of agreement the UK will crash out of the EU and will suffer the consequences as will the EU. It won't get better outside the EU btw. Neither the US nor China nor India will cater to the UK needs. They will **** you over. That's standard business in the world of international poltics - the stronger one will win. That's one of the reasons why many countries are happy to be in the EU. That is one of the reasons why Turkey wants to be under the EU's umbrella with regards to international trade.
Old Feb 4th 2019, 11:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Aries "threats from Europe" What on earth are you talking about ?
Old Feb 5th 2019, 6:02 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Must be a daily express reader.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 7:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Well of course, as we speak the Luftwaffe is revving up the enhines for another aerial attack on pluckly old Britain. We can take it ! The sad thing is that so many actually believe this jingoistic drivel. Dangerous !
Old Feb 5th 2019, 9:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aries

With the chaos and incertitude surrounding Brexit, several major groups like Jaguar, Land Rover, and Sony have all warned of "very painful decisions" in case of Brexit without agreement. I suppose these are also threats from Germany/Europe too........
And if that wasn't bad enough, I see that Nissan have just given up plans to produce it's X-Trail crossover plant in Sunderland. It will now be produced in Japan, that decision of course was taken due to the persistant uncertainty over Brexit. Those Brexiters still believing in Father Christmas and the Sugar Plum Fairy, will say it was a decision linked solely to the arrest of Carlos Ghosn, but those of us with a fully functional brain know otherwise.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

Jake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond reputeJake.White has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
With the chaos and incertitude surrounding Brexit, several major groups like Jaguar, Land Rover, and Sony have all warned of "very painful decisions" in case of Brexit without agreement. I suppose these are also threats from Germany/Europe too........
And if that wasn't bad enough, I see that Nissan have just given up plans to produce it's X-Trail crossover plant in Sunderland. It will now be produced in Japan, that decision of course was taken due to the persistant uncertainty over Brexit. Those Brexiters still believing in Father Christmas and the Sugar Plum Fairy, will say it was a decision linked solely to the arrest of Carlos Ghosn, but those of us with a fully functional brain know otherwise.

The decision not to produce the X-Trail in Sunderland was made due to the increasing regulatory restrictions on diesel engines and subsequent reduction in demand.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...trail-decision

Jaguar Landrover moved production of it's discovery range from England to a new plant in Slovakia - infer what you will about the reasoning behind that - but I don't believe the decision had anything at all to do with Brexit and very likely had a lot to do with the £129m donation received from the Slovakian government and the willingness of Eastern European workers to accept lower wages.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...overy-15334918

Last edited by Jake.White; Feb 5th 2019 at 9:38 am.
Old Feb 5th 2019, 1:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jake.White

Jaguar Landrover moved production of it's discovery range from England to a new plant in Slovakia - infer what you will about the reasoning behind that - but I don't believe the decision had anything at all to do with Brexit and very likely had a lot to do with the £129m donation received from the Slovakian government and the willingness of Eastern European workers to accept lower wages.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...overy-15334918
I agree that Brexit is surely not the one single reason for such a move. But people in Montenegro or Marocco would work for even less money then the Slovakians. Despite this Jaguar has chosen to produce in an EU member state. Also, German car makers all have big plants in the US despite the higher wages there. Maybe being safely located within a big and rich market (no customs, no red tape, no loss of time because of border checks, closeness to customers etc). is indeed really important. I don't understand why it should come as such a surprise that companies want to have safe and secure access to the EU market and that the UK as a non-member is therefore less attractive. Slovakia has well educated people and has many capable and reliable supply companies that Jaguar needs. The country is not a dump but a country that is a competitor to the UK and which has won the latest fight.
Old Feb 10th 2019, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Aries, like som many of his countryman suffers from the illusion that England=Britain. He is also as are many others unaware of the fact tht we in Scotland voted to stay in the EU and are being dragged out by a xenophobic jingositic Tory cabal of Old Etonians. Alba go brath 1