Reload this Page >

Cost of living in Dusseldorf, Germany

Cost of living in Dusseldorf, Germany

Old Jun 27th 2005, 1:45 pm
North Carolina layabout

Bendex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living in Dusseldorf, Germany

Dear All,

I would really appreciate any information on cost of living in Dusseldorf, Germany.....and really any other info on what it is like there etc. We have never been, but my husband is interviewing with a company there and we would want as much information as possible before making any decisions.

We're both British, so visas not an issue.

Many thanks

Bendex
Old Jun 28th 2005, 7:45 am
North Carolina layabout

Bendex is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living in Dusseldorf, Germany

Originally Posted by Bendex
Dear All,

I would really appreciate any information on cost of living in Dusseldorf, Germany.....and really any other info on what it is like there etc. We have never been, but my husband is interviewing with a company there and we would want as much information as possible before making any decisions.

We're both British, so visas not an issue.

Many thanks

Bendex

Or just cost of living anywhere in Germany ??
Old Jun 29th 2005, 4:53 am
Forum Regular

Ikke will become famous soon enoughIkke will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Bendex
Or just cost of living anywhere in Germany ??
Hi Bendex

Can't help you with the cost of living in Germany (seems that nobody on here can).

Would suggest that you go to expatica.com which has forums for a number of european countries (Germany included)

Also use the net - for example to find place to rent/buy do a google search for immobilien dusselfdorf and you will get estate agents there and look through the listings - you don't need much German to be able to understand them.

For the cost of shopping search for supermarkets?

Other items may be harder to look for in that way but I am sure there will be people on Expatica who will help you.

Good luck with the move
Old Jul 1st 2005, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

cymbeline will become famous soon enough

Hi there,
I live right down on the southern border of Germany - so perhaps i can help on a few points. I think it's similar to the UK iin that it depends where you live re: cost of living. In the north - close to the dutch border with not much industry housing tends to be cheaper. Living costs in the main cities of course, will tend to be more expensive, but if you dont mind flat sharing for a while that would be a way to try things out and keep the costs down. I would say food shopping is similar to the UK only i find prices somewhat more competetive, as theres a price war going on between Aldi (better quality stuff than the UK) and lidl, which has a knock-on effect in other stores. In our area eating out is very reasonable and excellent quality, real value for money. Across the board i would say it is similar to the U.K, with some things slightly more reasonably priced.
I hope thats a help. I'd be glad to help if you have any more specific questions.
Cheers
Jan.