British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/)
-   -   Car Insurance In Germany (https://britishexpats.com/forum/germany-134/car-insurance-germany-269866/)

Wyndham Dec 2nd 2004 3:50 pm

Car Insurance In Germany

hi there,

Can someone advise me? I have my car currently in Germany and have been driving here for a couple of months on a Green Card provided by Egg Insurance. My insurance comes to an end in mid December. My car tax just came to an end and I planned to renew it when I got to London for Xmas (as I have up to four week's grace, I believe, and have no MOT - I have stayed here longer than expected.

Egg have now told me that they cannot issue more than a total of 3 months of Green Card per year. DVLA have told me that I can legally drive my car in Europe for a year without registering it here.

Can someone suggest what the best way to sort out driving legally, taxed and insured is? Do UK companies provide annual European wide insurance? Is it possible to insure my car with a German company without having to register it in Germany? Would it be better to sell the car in England and buy a German car? I am planning to stay here a while, certainly another 4 -6 months (though I have not as yet done my Anmeldung, but plan to).

I cannot get any sense out of the various institutions I have spoken to as yet, but know I am not the first person to bring their car here under these circumstances! I know I can probably get away with having the car here unregistered for a while, but the lack of insurance concerns me...

Thanks,
Wyndham

Munchies Mar 6th 2005 5:21 pm

Re: Car Insurance In Germany

Originally Posted by Wyndham
hi there,

Can someone advise me? I have my car currently in Germany and have been driving here for a couple of months on a Green Card provided by Egg Insurance. My insurance comes to an end in mid December. My car tax just came to an end and I planned to renew it when I got to London for Xmas (as I have up to four week's grace, I believe, and have no MOT - I have stayed here longer than expected.

Egg have now told me that they cannot issue more than a total of 3 months of Green Card per year. DVLA have told me that I can legally drive my car in Europe for a year without registering it here.

Can someone suggest what the best way to sort out driving legally, taxed and insured is? Do UK companies provide annual European wide insurance? Is it possible to insure my car with a German company without having to register it in Germany? Would it be better to sell the car in England and buy a German car? I am planning to stay here a while, certainly another 4 -6 months (though I have not as yet done my Anmeldung, but plan to).

I cannot get any sense out of the various institutions I have spoken to as yet, but know I am not the first person to bring their car here under these circumstances! I know I can probably get away with having the car here unregistered for a while, but the lack of insurance concerns me...

Thanks,
Wyndham

Ok...lots of questions.... don't worry I 've been there and done it all.....
I'll start at the beginning....
'DVLA have told me that I can legally drive my car in Europe for a year without registering it here.' - Yes this is true, when we first moved to Germany we brought our car over and insured it through the AA they do a special european insurance but they can only insure you for a limited time. I would also tell them that you travel regularly between the england and germany.

'Can someone suggest what the best way to sort out driving legally, taxed and insured is? 'Yes, don't worry about Road tax yet, just get insured by a UK company(see above)

'Do UK companies provide annual European wide insurance?' Yes the AA but only for a limited time.

'Is it possible to insure my car with a German company without having to register it in Germany?' No, this is impossible you have to have a German number plate which you only get by registering your car here. This is an almighty pain in the backside and if I'd have known what a headache it was going to be I would never have done it in the first place, if you can't speak German forget it. My experience entailed 3 days at the Zulassungstelle and if one kind man hadn't taken pity on me I'd still be there now!!

'Would it be better to sell the car in England and buy a German car?' - Depends on how long your going to stay for 4/6 months its not worth it, take advantage of the DVLA's advice, your fine for a year. Sit back and enjoy the lack of parking tickets and speeding fines........they never bother tracking them to the UK, too much hassle.

'I am planning to stay here a while, certainly another 4 -6 months (though I have not as yet done my Anmeldung, but plan to)'. - It is vital that you register as soon as possible, this can also be a pain depending on which city you live in...the longer you leave it, the more unhelpful they'll be. This only registers you as a person they do not ask about your car.

If you need any more help let me know...... enjoy the joys of German beer :beer:

Dutch Paul Mar 6th 2005 8:15 pm

Re: Car Insurance In Germany

Regarding letting UK road tax lapse.

Watch out when you get back to the UK - the DVLA will sting you with a fine.