Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Can I apply for a dual passport with my mum being german

Can I apply for a dual passport with my mum being german

Old Jul 9th 2016, 7:02 am
Forum Regular

seasideman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I apply for a dual passport with my mum being german

Hi. My mother is German, she came to the UK around 1960, and I was born in 1970. My father is English. I would like to know if I can apply for dual nationality and get a dual passport so I can stay in the EU. If so, how do I apply and what is the procedure.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 8:43 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I apply for a dual passport with my mum being german

Originally Posted by seasideman
Hi. My mother is German, she came to the UK around 1960, and I was born in 1970. My father is English. I would like to know if I can apply for dual nationality and get a dual passport so I can stay in the EU. If so, how do I apply and what is the procedure.
Seems like you may well be a German citizen already, have a read of this article.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/German_nationality_law
Old Jul 9th 2016, 8:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Seems like you may well be a German citizen already, have a read of this article.

Thank you for that. Just read it. My german is very basic on the verge to very bad. I was born in the UK. Do you know the route to apply to see if i do qualify or any other information
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:05 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for that. Just read it. My german is very basic on the verge to very bad. I was born in the UK. Do you know the route to apply to see if i do qualify or any other information
lots of info here, you should just need to get German passport.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...man%20passport
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:53 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

lots of info here, you should just need to get German passport.

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/i...man%20passport
If you read that Wikipedia article it actually states that only German fathers could pass on their citizenship automatically to children born before 1 January 1975.

The German Embassy in London has a good summary on its website.

If the OP was born in the UK in 1970 to a married British father and German mother then he wouldn't be entitled to German citizenship unless his mother registered him as a German citizen between 1975 and 31 December 1977.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 9:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BritInParis
If you read that Wikipedia article it actually states that only German fathers could pass on their citizenship automatically to children born before 1 January 1975.

If the OP was born in the UK in 1970 to a married British father and German mother then he wouldn't be entitled to German citizenship unless his mother registered him as a German citizen between 1975 and 31 December 1977.

well that causes me problems then. My dad was British and my mum was german. My dad did not want us to have dual nationalaity or to learn the language. I was hoping that now I would be able to get it, but it seems with what you have said that i wont.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:00 am
Concierge

Sorry, didn't read the whole article, just the first part that said 'German parent'
Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:26 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

well that causes me problems then. My dad was British and my mum was german. My dad did not want us to have dual nationalaity or to learn the language. I was hoping that now I would be able to get it, but it seems with what you have said that i wont.
I take it then your parents were married when you were born?
Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

I take it then your parents were married when you were born?
they were married before i was born yes.
Old Jul 9th 2016, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

My mum came to the UK as an exchange student and then met my dad. Then a few years later they got married
Old Jul 9th 2016, 11:34 pm

they were married before i was born yes.
My mum came to the UK as an exchange student and then met my dad. Then a few years later they got married
Then I'm afraid it appears you are out of luck. It's a pity your father didn't allow your mother to register you with the German authorities when she had the chance. It might be worth sending an email or calling the German Embassy, explain your situation and see if there's a registration process you can undergo in order to claim your German citizenship that wasn't mentioned on the website. Unlikely maybe but worth exhausting all possibilities before you give up.