Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

BREXIT and reimbursement of Einburgerung fees.

BREXIT and reimbursement of Einburgerung fees.

Old Aug 20th 2018, 5:48 pm
Just Joined

Moooooin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default BREXIT and reimbursement of Einburgerung fees.

Dear fellow British ex-pats et al,
My name's Gary and have resided in Germany for the last 31 years (8 of those being stationed in Paderborn). Given the... oh-so stimulating frills and frolics of the BREXIT issue (!), I've had no other choice but to go through the process of becoming a dual-national (like many others given the statistics). I've been informed that the whole process will cost me about €400, which my wallet ain't too pleased about. So given our vote wasn't wanted at the referendum back in June '16, what's stopping us from sending the €400 bill to Auntie Theresa so she can reimburse us? Comments are most welcome.

Fare Thee Well, Gary
Old Aug 20th 2018, 6:43 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BREXIT and reimbursement of Einburgerung fees.

So having spent over twenty years in Germany of your volition, you've only bothered to become a citizen now? I can't say I have a lot of sympathy for you I'm afraid. €400 seems like a bit of bargain.
Old Aug 20th 2018, 7:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Why didn't you wait until next year?..you could have saved €400 beer money!!
Old Aug 20th 2018, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Well, I see the 20+ years as proof that one has the freedom to choose what side one bats for Mr. BritinParis. I didn't ask for anyone's lack of sympathy either. What a nice welcome given it's my first post. Naja!
Old Aug 21st 2018, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moooooin
Well, I see the 20+ years as proof that one has the freedom to choose what side one bats for Mr. BritinParis. I didn't ask for anyone's lack of sympathy either. What a nice welcome given it's my first post. Naja!
I would respect your decision if you would give up Brit. citizenship. But you want the best of both worlds.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 9:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Shanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond reputeShanorme has a reputation beyond repute

Why shouldn't he want the best of both worlds after all, that's exactly what Brexit is taking away from him. Brexit: giving away everything we had to gain something we never lost.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 10:51 am
Just Joined

@ Thairetired 2016 - hello. Fair comment. But one, which I don't wish to honour in the slightest given ties to the country I was born in and everything that goes with it. Furthermore and one, which is worthwhile noting is the fact that many, many young British servicemen (and women no doubt) embarked to the British Army Of (the) Rhine (BAOR) in decades past. As per the process, which I can fully relate to is the fact young guys will go down town, meet a local girl, fall in love, marry, kids and so on and so forth. The spouse works locally and the (my 4) kids are on the German net in terms of health, education, friends and the like. So upon a soldier deciding to hang up his uniform as I did back in '95, the transition to a life in Germany (given the fact I was already well and truly integrated) was a damn sight easier when compared to having to uproot an entire family and move to Blighty in unfamiliar surroundings. It's also worth noting that a soldier could spend his entire military career in one regiment in one barracks (39 Heavy Regiment, RA being stationed in Dempsey Barracks, Schloss Neuhaus for a total of 38 years without moving is one good example). The 'system' here has allowed me to reside here for the last 23 years without any issues. My kids are settled, are German/British and speak English as if it's their mother-tongue. One with her own kids, 2 studying at university and the youngest in her final apprenticeship year. So it's only recently that the local authorities have contacted me given the situation in Blighty (although that wasn't mentioned in their communications... but more than obviously). With the aforementioned in mind, I see absolutely no reason to give up my British citizenship - period!

Last edited by Moooooin; Aug 21st 2018 at 10:57 am. Reason: Additional information.
Old Aug 21st 2018, 11:37 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I would respect your decision if you would give up Brit. citizenship. But you want the best of both worlds.
A expensive and pointless process.
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

Many European countries and authorities are pre-empting the outcome of the Brexit transition and issuing poor or incorrect advice. I am in Netherlands and have also been fed all kinds of nonsense from various directions... The facts won't be known until Brexit is a reality..and one day that British Passport might just save your skin..you never know..
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 11:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Thairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond reputeThairetired2016 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A expensive and pointless process.
Originally Posted by calman014
Many European countries and authorities are pre-empting the outcome of the Brexit transition and issuing poor or incorrect advice. I am in Netherlands and have also been fed all kinds of nonsense from various directions... The facts won't be known until Brexit is a reality..and one day that British Passport might just save your skin..you never know..
I remember pre-EU days when Germans were not allowed dual nationality. Once GB gets their "independence" back, Germany may revert the right to dual citizenship. Then which side will you be on?
"British p.passport may save you skin"? - Why even consider getting another one?
Old Aug 22nd 2018, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Thairetired2016
I remember pre-EU days when Germans were not allowed dual nationality. Once GB gets their "independence" back, Germany may revert the right to dual citizenship. Then which side will you be on?
"British p.passport may save you skin"? - Why even consider getting another one?
German nationality law has nothing to do with the EU. In 2007 the law changed to permit anyone with EU/EEA/Swiss citizenship to acquire German citizenship without having to renounce their original citizenship.

If you are smart you’ll take advantage of this now and acquire German citizenship whilst you still have an automatic right to retain your British citizenship. Post-Brexit the situation will not necessarily be so clear cut.
Old Aug 23rd 2018, 12:45 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

So given our vote wasn't wanted at the referendum back in June '16, what's stopping us from sending the €400 bill to Auntie Theresa so she can reimburse us? Comments are most welcome.
There's nothing at all stopping you. Entirely pointless of course. We all make choices in life, in your case to live in a foreign country for decades without becoming a citizen of that country.

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Aug 23rd 2018 at 12:47 am.
Old Dec 9th 2018, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Dear fellow British ex-pats et al,
My name's Gary and have resided in Germany for the last 31 years (8 of those being stationed in Paderborn). Given the... oh-so stimulating frills and frolics of the BREXIT issue (!), I've had no other choice but to go through the process of becoming a dual-national (like many others given the statistics). I've been informed that the whole process will cost me about €400, which my wallet ain't too pleased about. So given our vote wasn't wanted at the referendum back in June '16, what's stopping us from sending the €400 bill to Auntie Theresa so she can reimburse us? Comments are most welcome.

Fare Thee Well, Gary
400 Euros for becoming a German citizen is actually rather cheap. If the situation was reversed, yourself a German citizen having resided in the UK for the past 31 years, the price tag would be 1300 pounds for a British adult naturalization application.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 6:22 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

There are millions of people in unpleasant places who would gladly give a body part for German citizenship, so yes, 400 euros does seem trivial.
Old Dec 10th 2018, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tooboocoo
There are millions of people in unpleasant places who would gladly give a body part for German citizenship, so yes, 400 euros does seem trivial.
I find 400 euros ridiculously cheap, I must say. I would expect Germany to be more expensive for the naturalization. I doubt that German bureaucracy is more effective.....