Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Bonn ist Nicht Weimar"

Bonn ist Nicht Weimar"

Old May 22nd 2019, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bonn ist Nicht Weimar"

I remember that slogan from the 1960s in political life in the Federal Republic. The point of course was that the Federal Republic had overcome the economic and political problems that plagued Germany in the 1920s.

Here Martin Kettle suggests that the Weimar Republic has come to life again in London.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...Ca3nYjceFz8tQ0
Old May 22nd 2019, 11:49 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonn ist Nicht Weimar"

Wäre es da
Nicht doch einfacher, die Regierung
Löste das Volk auf und
Wählte ein anderes?
Old May 22nd 2019, 2:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonn ist Nicht Weimar

Brecht was right in 1953 and he is right again !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Die_L%C3%B6sung

Of course his works are not taught in Late Capitalist Britain (Airstrip One) where the acquisition of Foreign languages and the study of Foreign Culture is regarded with great suspicion.

BritInParis is probably one of the last of his generation to benefit from some "Germanistik",

Last edited by scot47; May 22nd 2019 at 2:30 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 11:44 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure that’s entirely correct. At school we performed one of Brecht’s plays in Drama and I took French and German before going on to read Japanese at university. This was all within the last twenty years.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 9:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Not sure that’s entirely correct. At school we performed one of Brecht’s plays in Drama and I took French and German before going on to read Japanese at university. This was all within the last twenty years.
Well it's good to know that the French language must have helped your natural transformation into Alain Delon.
Frightening to think though that you could have ended up looking like Adolf or Admiral Yamamoto.....
Old Jun 20th 2019, 12:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Look at the figures for foreign language passes at school. Smaller and smaller every year.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 11:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeGordon Barlow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bonn ist Nicht Weimar

Originally Posted by scot47
Of course his works are not taught in Late Capitalist Britain (Airstrip One) where the acquisition of Foreign languages and the study of Foreign Culture is regarded with great suspicion.
Well done, for the "1984" reference! Always nice to see...
Old Aug 18th 2019, 6:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.apnews.com/11eb3d64db7c40a59eae30e955ae791a

I heard about this on The BBC World Service. I would like to go but I am unable to travel. What I see in English politics now looks to me like developments in The Weimar Republic as it went into a tailspin.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 11:49 am

https://www.apnews.com/11eb3d64db7c40a59eae30e955ae791a

I heard about this on The BBC World Service. I would like to go but I am unable to travel. What I see in English politics now looks to me like developments in The Weimar Republic as it went into a tailspin.
Until we have armed groups fighting in the street, hyperinflation and mass unemployment I think your comparison might be a little hyperbolic.

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 18th 2019 at 12:35 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 12:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We already have political figures attacked and murdered in broad daylight. Not sure about "mass employment" though !
Old Aug 18th 2019, 12:35 pm

We already have political figures attacked and murdered in broad daylight. Not sure about "mass employment" though !
Jo Cox’s murder was terrible but trying to compare it to the open warfare on the streets of major German cities and hundreds of political assassinations that occurred at the hands of the Freikorps and others in Weimar Germany is ludicrous.

Last edited by BritInParis; Aug 18th 2019 at 12:58 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 12:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

https://www.thenational.scot/news/17...3atDpudP8m0ev4

It is only just starting.
Old Aug 18th 2019, 1:01 pm

If you say so