Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Anyone flown back to UK recently?

Anyone flown back to UK recently?

Old May 5th 2021, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

ropbert is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone flown back to UK recently?

Hi, I’m a Scot living in Germany and I’m wanting to visit my family back in Scotland soon. I’ve been reading the restrictions on the gov websites but I almost feel like they are making it intentionally confusing to dissuade travelers... either that or my reading comprehension just isn’t up to scratch!

Anyway, it looks like flying directly to Scotland isn’t an option due to not having an “essential reason”, but I think I could fly to England? So from what I understand I have two options:
1) fly to England and self-isolate there for 10 days, then travel onwards to Scotland
2) (not certain about this) fly to Scotland and list a place in Scotland where I would self isolate on my passenger locator form, then travel immediately there and isolate for 10 days.

Can anyone here confirm if I am reading this correctly? Have any of you recently travelled back the the UK for any reason? What questions/forms etc. did you encounter upon arriving? Obviously I would take any and all tests which are required.

any advice or info, no matter how anecdotal, would be appreciated!
Old May 6th 2021, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone flown back to UK recently?

I would suggest for you to wait for mid May for your travels, if the wait is possible. It's only around 2 weeks away anyway. It is largely expected that travel and entry requirements to the UK will change and be relaxed in mid May, It is also expected that the tests before departure will most likely still remain, however the 10 day home isolation might be scrapped if arrival is from certain green listed countries.

Real anecdotal evidence is hard, as rules and regulations seem to change frequently. The only thing I've heard, is that the 10 day home isolation is rarely enforced. At least friends have reported on this.

I've also heard about endless queues at immigration / passport controls at Heathrow airport, sometimes up to 6 hours, and that even at times when passenger traffic is very low. Whether that's down to longer inspections or simply lack of personnel and cost saving, I don't know....

Last edited by OrangeMango; May 6th 2021 at 9:38 pm.