Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Germany
Reload this Page >

Moving to Germany with a dog

Moving to Germany with a dog

Old Jul 19th 2017, 10:44 am
Just Joined

boni stone is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Germany with a dog

We are a retired couple hoping to relocate from the South West of England to somewhere in Hessen next year and take our Jack Russell dog with us. Does anyone have experience or ideas about this? You can reply in English or German, thanks to all.
Old Jul 27th 2017, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Macca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond reputeMacca67 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Germany with a dog

Originally Posted by boni stone
We are a retired couple hoping to relocate from the South West of England to somewhere in Hessen next year and take our Jack Russell dog with us. Does anyone have experience or ideas about this? You can reply in English or German, thanks to all.
Coming from England, it's fairly straightforward.....at the moment. If not already done, get the dog microchipped. It will then need a rabies vaccination (get this done after the m/c is put in) and Vet's health certificate. All of this can be recorded on a Pet Passport which you can present when you leave the UK and use to access Germany.
Old Jul 29th 2017, 5:20 pm
Just Joined

boni stone is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Macca67
Coming from England, it's fairly straightforward.....at the moment. If not already done, get the dog microchipped. It will then need a rabies vaccination (get this done after the m/c is put in) and Vet's health certificate. All of this can be recorded on a Pet Passport which you can present when you leave the UK and use to access Germany.
Many thanks for your info. I'm wondering about the best way to transport the dog either flying or driving. In 2012 I moved my parrot and my cat by plane from Spain to the UK and it was a nightmare. The only way from Spain was with a special Pet Service through Gatwick (a 4 hour drive from my home in Somerset to collect them after they landed and cleared customs at 1:00 am). It cost me over 700 GBP for the flight charges plus a mountain of paperwork, special flight cases which I had to buy and vet fees. Never again...

I think my best way would be to drive over with my dog but I wonder what paperwork I'd need to cross any borders en route.
Old Jul 31st 2017, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

rammy100 is an unknown quantity at this point

To add to Boni Stone's reply......We regularly travelled from the UK to Hungary with our dog in the car. I don't recall needing much paperwork on the way out although you will need a pet passport. We were never asked for any documentation travelling through different countries en-route.

Returning to the UK is a little more problematic but follow DEFRA advice and you will be fine. It just means a trip to the vets within a certain time-frame - I can't recall the details now.

If you live in Germany you will need a dog license. I was once stopped in the park by tax inspectors who were checking licenses.
Old Aug 6th 2017, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

calman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond reputecalman014 has a reputation beyond repute

No paperwork required except for a valid Pet passport. "Hundesteuer" won't be applicable until you are actually registered/resident with your local council.
Old Aug 8th 2017, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

notathome is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, for your dogs safety, get him/her vacinated against rabies. If the dog isnt already microchipped then get the chip done before the vacination. You will then get a passport for pets. As long as you keep the vacinations up to date you will have no problem travelling within Europe. We found the easiest way to bring the dog back and forth from the UK was by using the channel tunnel. 35 minutes and you stay in the car with your dog. Returning to the UK is a bit more formal, in Calaise, at the train terminal, one has to first enter the passport for pets office and have the dogs paper-work and micro-chip read. The last time we went to the UK with our dog, we had to have the dog treated against a special worm and tick. However, regulations change so check with DEFRA before returning to the UK.
Old Sep 13th 2017, 4:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by boni stone
Only to add if the right vaccines and a passport you should have no problem as once there the Germans generally love dogs. We lived in Baden Wurtenburg and took our cocker spaniel. Generally well-accepted in most gasthaus, restaurants, bars and so on. Always a welcome bowl of water when we stopped for a morning coffee.
Old Oct 26th 2017, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Loafing Along
Only to add if the right vaccines and a passport you should have no problem as once there the Germans generally love dogs. We lived in Baden Wurtenburg and took our cocker spaniel. Generally well-accepted in most gasthaus, restaurants, bars and so on. Always a welcome bowl of water when we stopped for a morning coffee.
Germans seem to love dogs, and dogs are mostly accepted anywhere. Renting might be a different story, however I think German landlords are in general more accepting of dogs than in other countries.
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

dzabski is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, the following company offers man and van to Germany and back to the UK. The accept pets too! www . removals-germany . com , Good luck!
Old Nov 3rd 2017, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

dzabski is an unknown quantity at this point

This moving company accepts dogs in the van - Removals to Germany from UK Boxes Furniture House Moving companies - good luck!