Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

At your local cinema

At your local cinema

Old Jun 24th 2018, 6:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default At your local cinema

In the past I've mentioned several French films that imho warrant a particular mention.
Yesterday at our local we saw a particularly memorable film - which I believe is an Anglo/French production, thus meriting a comment here.
The French Title: Le Cercle Litteraire De Guernesey.
English Title (maybe worth forgetting): The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society.

The story revolves around a young writer who forms an unexpected bond with the residents of Guernsey in the aftermath of World War II, when she decides to write a book about their experiences during the war.

I generally dislike war films, and was somewhat surprised when Mme TP suggested there was a film she particular wanted to see, and thought I'd enjoy it too. That turned out to be an understatement. We went, and I thought it was brilliant!
It was in VO (English), and - as I'm wont to do - found myself crazily reading most of the French sub-titles, which incidently is a wonderful way of getting more familiar with the language for those still learning French.
To cut to the chase, it's a great film, a moving story with powerful characters, splendid scenery and a memorable sound track.
I haven't enjoyed a film as much since Au Revoir la Haut and L'ecole Buissonniere. And like the latter, Le Cercle Litteraire De Guernesey will probably be gone and forgotten about before many even hear about it. Which is a shame, and a loss to anyone who enjoys a film to uplift the spirit and from which one exits the cinema with a smile. Well worth a visit!
Old Jun 24th 2018, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: At your local cinema

What's a local cinema??
Old Jun 24th 2018, 4:22 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
What's a local cinema??
I'm reminded of Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey being informed that the new owner would look after business at the weekend.

"The weekend?" said the startled character, "what's a weekend?"

PS I agree with Tweedie about the film. It was very enjoyable indeed.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 5:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

What's a local cinema??
Close to chez nous: 5klm.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 6:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I'm reminded of Maggie Smith in Downton Abbey being informed that the new owner would look after business at the weekend.

"The weekend?" said the startled character, "what's a weekend?"

PS I agree with Tweedie about the film. It was very enjoyable indeed.
Novo,
I remember that scene well in Downton Abbey.
I once had the exact confused reaction from an American Pratt & Whitney guy who came to train with our team. I happened to mention that I was going on holiday for the weekend. After a blank looked he asked, "What's a weekend?
At least I didn't have to explain that holiday = vacation.
Old Jun 24th 2018, 11:18 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

What's a local cinema??
Here is our one - The Gecko

It shows all manner of international films.

Sounds like a gentle film Tweedpipe. It also sounds like just the sort of film our local cinema will show.

One of the offerings next weekend is "Caravaggio: The Soul and the Blood" . I might weather it but not sure it would be for himself really.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BEVS
Here is our one - The Gecko

It shows all manner of international films.

Sounds like a gentle film Tweedpipe. It also sounds like just the sort of film our local cinema will show.

One of the offerings next weekend is "Caravaggio: The Soul and the Blood" . I might weather it but not sure it would be for himself really.
Bevs, I like the look of your gecko, (geez, I've not said that to a lady often.....)
Caravaggio is a film I'd already noted to see when released here. However just reading the summary on IMDb it doesn't paint too pretty a picture (pun intented) and only gets an average rating. Nevertheless I'll probably go and see it.
HERE'S a link to our local cinema.
Everbody Knows is another we saw recently, and well worthy of a special mention. Good IMDb rating too.
Old Jun 25th 2018, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

I've pre-ordered the Guernsey film on DVD along with a small stack of others to watch in our local cinema. Our sitting room.
It won't be seen until after the footie, Wimbledon and Le Tour though!