Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Your expert help is needed!

Your expert help is needed!

Old Jul 21st 2011, 1:37 pm
Just Joined

Natalie_28 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello everyone,

I've just stumbled across this forum and, as I see it's full of people who are "in the know" I wish to call on your expert knowledge.

I've just been offered a two-year job in Paris and before I fully accept, I'm trying to find some information about the general cost of living and accomodation, to make sure I will be able to afford the move. I've done some searching on the internet but not to much success.

Can anybody tell me what the average rental cost per month would be of a small 1 bedroom appartment (and I mean small, the cheaper the better!). I don't need to be in the centre of Paris, somewhere in the south suburbs (Villejuif) would be perfect.

As an English national, how easy is it to rent accomodation in France? Is there lots of paperwork? What sort of documentation would I need?

I'm sure you must be inundated with such questions as mine all the time, but if anyone could find the time to reply I (and my nerves) would really appreciated.

Thank you all so much in advance!

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Jul 21st 2011 at 3:24 pm. Reason: Merged to remove Duplicate First Post
Old Jul 21st 2011, 2:44 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Your expert help is needed!

Originally Posted by Natalie_28
Hello everyone,

I've just stumbled across this forum and, as I see it's full of people who are "in the know" I wish to call on your expert knowledge.

I've just been offered a two-year job in Paris and before I fully accept, I'm trying to find some information about the general cost of living and accomodation, to make sure I will be able to afford the move. I've done some searching on the internet but not to much success.

Can anybody tell me what the average rental cost per month would be of a small 1 bedroom appartment (and I mean small, the cheaper the better!). I don't need to be in the centre of Paris, somewhere in the south suburbs (Villejuif) would be perfect.

As an English national, how easy is it to rent accomodation in France? Is there lots of paperwork? What sort of documentation would I need?

I'm sure you must be inundated with such questions as mine all the time, but if anyone could find the time to reply I (and my nerves) would really appreciated.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!
Can't help with rents in the south suburbs, but they are certainly cheaper than in central Paris. Is there a particular reason for mentioning Villejuif? It isn't a particularly "nice" place to live... Maybe your job is there? In which case I'd look for somewhere to live in Paris 13ème, near the Métro Line No. 7 or on a bus route that serves Villejuif.
As an English national, you'll have the same documentation to provide as a French national, i.e. a list as long as your arm! There was a similar thread posted recently by a student, and replies 2, 4 and 7 of a link which I posted, give a list of documents to provide and things to do
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=guarantor
As you'll be working, you won't need a Guarantor (unless your salary is less than 3-4 times the rent).
Hope this helps!

Last edited by dmu; Jul 21st 2011 at 2:46 pm.
Old Jul 21st 2011, 3:27 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Your expert help is needed!

Originally Posted by Natalie_28
Hello everyone,

Welcome to the Forum, We have a few Members that will be able to help with the in's and outs of Paris. Should you have any issues give Myself Mitzyboy or Sue a shout