Reload this Page >

Young family moving to Tours in Loire

Young family moving to Tours in Loire

Old Aug 21st 2009, 11:46 am
Just Joined

jocab is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Young family moving to Tours in Loire

Hi,

We have a 10month old daughter Marina and have fallen in love with Tours & the surrounding area.....Saumur, Azay le Rideau, Chinon, Loches etc!!! The only thing stopping us from making the final decision to move is being unable to find other expat families in late 20's-30's!!! We have found many in the next region down, however none in & around Tours which is our dream location. My main worry for this is our limited french at the moment & how easily we would initially integrate with other french/brittish families. I would love to hear from any other families who are moving or have made the move to this area......

Many Thanks

Joanne x
Old Aug 21st 2009, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Young family moving to Tours in Loire

Hi Joanne

We live fairly close to Tours, about 40 minutes away, close to Montrichard. Although we have young (ish) children, 6, 9, 10 and 12, we are old fogies, in our mid-forties I think Le Chant lives at Saumur?
We too love this area - good choice
We found local ex-pats generally made themselves known to us and they introduced us to other ex-pats etc. Lots of locals speak English anyway, so don't worry too much. Having young children will bring you into contact with other young families, ie, when the time comes, via school, which helps.
You'll probably be surprised just how many ex-pats there are tucked away....

Best of luck

Sue
Old Aug 26th 2009, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

My in laws live there (they are French). It is a beautiful place and the people are very nice. They seem to like to practice English so it is a good way to get to know people and integrate.
A more chilled way of life for sure. Good luck
Old Aug 27th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

dwrenched is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Parcay-les-Pins, about half an hour north of Saumur. There are lots of English families here and in Mouliherne, and Vernoil and Vernantes, and one or two English bars and shops. Most of us are older- we are in our 60s- but the locals are very friendly and generally, the younger they are, the more likely they are to speak English, and to want to speak English. There are plenty of doctors etc who speak English, so I wouldn't be deterred. It is better to try to learn French when you are here.

David

Apologies if half this message has been posted accidentally!
Old Aug 28th 2009, 3:08 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Just subscribing to this thread.

We are interested, nay bloody certain, about moving to this area and have just completed our first 2 week recce to find a place.

We came out, focussed on Tours, looked around Chateau Renault at first, but quickly moved to t'other side of town, around Fondettes, Luynes and Langais and also south to Ste Maure de Touraine (which we know from past).

We moved across further east towards Saumur and were totally smitten with Bourgueil (ok, ok so yes, the vapour from Chinon nuclear power station IS visible in the sky )

Looked around Fontevraud-L'Abbaye and down to Loudun.

But I have to say, Bourgueil still has it.

Totally lost count of the number of properties we looked at. It was an all day, every day job often till after 8pm, but came home with a couple of favourites to now do the serious head-scratching bit.

So, who knows, in time, we might be around there too.

Gerard
Old Aug 30th 2009, 8:14 am
Just Joined

dwrenched is an unknown quantity at this point

Worth looking at Giseaux; a few minutes' north of Bourgeuil. We nearly bought a house near there; for sale with PIF, and technically in Continvoir. Corleon is also worth a look, unless you are determined to find a town or village with tout commerce. Giseaux (which everyone seems to pronouce differently) has a bakery, charcoutery, doctor, pharmacie and post office.

David
Old Aug 30th 2009, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

A warning to anyone moving near Tours - look out for my French father-in-law. He's really not keen on the English "invasion" there. If you see a white haired/bearded man in his 50's glowering at you, you might have crossed his path.
Old Aug 30th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

L'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of lightL'Acajou is a glorious beacon of light

Ha Ha, G J B, we did encounter a chap fitting that description on one of our first trips into Tours - he muttered something about "the english" to my bewildered hubby as we were walking along the street - the only obviously hostile reaction in over 5 years here
Old Aug 30th 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by L'Acajou
Ha Ha, G J B, we did encounter a chap fitting that description on one of our first trips into Tours - he muttered something about "the english" to my bewildered hubby as we were walking along the street - the only obviously hostile reaction in over 5 years here
That would be him! He also has a wife who refers to us as the 'filthy English', but I see you've not had that pleasure yet.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 9:59 am
New ember - smoulderin'

analyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to allanalyst is a name known to all

Originally Posted by G-J-B
. . .That would be him! He also has a wife who refers to us as the 'filthy English'
Ah! Just as well je suis écossais, but right now living in Pays de Galles.
Does that get me off the hook?

BTW dwenched, we did look at Giseaux/Continvoir generally, and one house in detail but decided to give it a 'non'. But thanks for that anyway.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

You'll probably be alright being Scottish, Welsh or even a Scotsman/woman living in Wales! Most insults seem to be aimed at the English!

Hope you find what you're looking for. Some of the areas around Tours are very nice indeed. I'm going back there in less than a fortnight, but sadly for me it's a visit to the inlaws - oh joy of joys.
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 9:59 am
New ember - smoulderin'

FWIW, I've seen T-shirts being worn in France which read boldly across the front "Je ne suis pas Anglais, je suis Gallois" but I think that says more about the Welsh attitude to the English rather than the French one.

But, hey, if it works . . .
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 11:21 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

We have had a house in the region for 20 years, and there are masses of English families there. I am not sure what sort of property you are looking for, but we have a friend who has one to sell, about 50 mins. from Tours towards Saumur. It needs TOTAL renovation, tho it does have water, electrics, phone, good roof etc. and enjoys an idylic remote location, (tho 2 minutes from village) masses of land, and perfect for a young family. Let me know if it might be of interest to you. No agents fees!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 5:13 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

I am indeed close to Saumur. I was just outside of Bourgueil yesterday at Benais. Lovely spot!

I love it here. Tours is nice, but I much prefer Saumur. Smaller, friendlier and prettier (in my opinion, o' course.)

Bonne chance! La langue s'arrive bien apres t'as demenager d'angleterre!
Old Sep 2nd 2009, 6:17 pm
New ember - smoulderin'

Ah yes, Benais, we looked at a house there a couple of weeks ago - it was carp!
It had been 'on the market' for a year or two I think. And its my guess that it'll be on the market for a year or two more, unless someone comes to their senses.

Wasn't for us anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.