Would your town/city suit us?

Wikiposts

Would your town/city suit us?

Old Aug 15th 2010, 6:00 am
Just Joined

RKCH is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would your town/city suit us?

Hi there,

We have considered moving to France many times over the years but work has taken us elsewhere. We lived for 15 years in Portugal, then Dubai and are now living in NZ. NZ is a great country but just too far away from friends and family. After a wonderful time back in Europe over the summer we have decided that at last it's time to make that move back.

We are a family of four. Our children are aged 10 and 11. As my husband will be working on a monthly rotational schedule outside of France we are not restricted as to where we live. So we have carte blanche so to speak as to where we decide to set down routes.

We initially were looking at Toulouse but are looking for imput on other towns/cities.

Here are some of the things that we would like to have:

Within a two hour drive of an airport (preferably 1 hour)
A good school for the kids (International or bi-lingual) Should offer a good level of education in a nurturing environment
The kids enjoy sport and music/dance so we would like there to be clubs either at school or in the area.
As a family we enjoy the outside. We enjoy cycling, tennis and enjoy the water, kayaking, swimming and sailing.

We are not really big city folk and would prefer to be either slightly rural or in a small town close to a bigger city. Somewhere with a nice community feel.

Any suggestions? Obviously not all that criteria is likely to be met, but if that sounds like your town I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Warmest regards,
Rachael
Old Aug 15th 2010, 7:49 am
Just Joined

dwrenched is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would your town/city suit us?

Rachael

Just on the question of an airport, you should be aware that flights by budget airlines can be withdrawn quite suddenly, so don't make yourself dependent on one small provincial airport. Having said that, Saumur, on the Loire, might fit your bill. It is close enough to Tours (though there may be a problem with flights from there), Poitiers, Nantes (just about) and Angers (no flights but rumoured to be one starting soon). In all other respects it is a lovely place, though I can't vouch personally for facilities for children.

Best of luck with your search

David
Old Aug 19th 2010, 6:24 am
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

I'm slightly curious as to why, of all the countries, you choose France. I presume that you must speak good French, and not just the shopping/restaurant phrases that you can 'get by' with on holiday? If not, then I would say that it is not the easiest country to live in. There is a lot of bureaucracy at every level - we were lucky because we moved there for OH's work, so they gave us lots of help and support. Holiday France (or any country for that matter) is not the same as everyday living France! Please do not be fooled into thinking that 'slower pace of life' does not equal 'laziness'!

Having said that, there are some beautiful parts, but for International schools, then realistically you are looking at being close to a city. Ditto for the airport, and beware, as dwrenched put it, for the cheap airlines changing their routes.

I have just left the Lyon area, where the climate is good, there is a good (and improving airport) and there are several international / bilingual schools. You can also get out to some pretty villages very quickly. Towards the East side, there is great access to ski resorts in winter and also the airport. If you want any more info, then pm me and I can suggest some options.

Bon chance!
Old Aug 27th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

For all the criteria you suggest, try the Nice-Antibes area.
Some very nice "arriere pays" small towns and villages but near sophistication
and France's second international airport, etc.
You have it all there - BUT there is a price to pay!
Properties and rent are not cheap.
I lived and worked there for 9 years.

Last edited by Roger O; Aug 27th 2010 at 11:45 pm.
Old Aug 28th 2010, 4:58 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RKCH
Hi there,

We have considered moving to France many times over the years but work has taken us elsewhere. We lived for 15 years in Portugal, then Dubai and are now living in NZ. NZ is a great country but just too far away from friends and family. After a wonderful time back in Europe over the summer we have decided that at last it's time to make that move back.

We are a family of four. Our children are aged 10 and 11. As my husband will be working on a monthly rotational schedule outside of France we are not restricted as to where we live. So we have carte blanche so to speak as to where we decide to set down routes.

We initially were looking at Toulouse but are looking for imput on other towns/cities.

Here are some of the things that we would like to have:

Within a two hour drive of an airport (preferably 1 hour)
A good school for the kids (International or bi-lingual) Should offer a good level of education in a nurturing environment
The kids enjoy sport and music/dance so we would like there to be clubs either at school or in the area.
As a family we enjoy the outside. We enjoy cycling, tennis and enjoy the water, kayaking, swimming and sailing.

We are not really big city folk and would prefer to be either slightly rural or in a small town close to a bigger city. Somewhere with a nice community feel.

Any suggestions? Obviously not all that criteria is likely to be met, but if that sounds like your town I would love to hear from you.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.
Warmest regards,
Rachael

Try our village ... Nans les Pins ... 1 h Marseille airport, 30 min Marseille, Cassis, Aix en Provence AND the coast.

Good luck