British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Would you accept to be solely under the jurisdiction of the ECJ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/would-you-accept-solely-under-jurisdiction-ecj-903862/)

Charlee Sep 26th 2017 8:23 pm

Would you accept to be solely under the jurisdiction of the ECJ?

Would you accept this without any qualms or, if not and it was imposed anyway as a condition to live in the EU, what would you change in your life?

BritInParis Sep 26th 2017 9:32 pm

Re: Would you accept to be solely under the jurisdiction of the ECJ?

What do you mean by 'solely'? If you live in any EU country then you are under the jurisdiction of the ECJ.

Chatter Static Sep 27th 2017 5:47 am

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 12347399)
Would you accept this without any qualms or, if not and it was imposed anyway as a condition to live in the EU, what would you change in your life?

If you lived in Liverpool why would you be subject to Parliament rule without any qualms......?

Cad Sep 27th 2017 7:04 am

Which ever country you choose to live in you live by their rules and regulations not one's which you wish your native one had.

dmu Sep 27th 2017 7:26 am

Are you in the UK and are thinking of moving to France? If not, then a question in the general Europe section below would get more response.
As it is, we in France are governed by French and EU legislation, and I don't see where "qualms" come into it. You either take it or leave it....

Tweedpipe Sep 27th 2017 4:57 pm

Interesting related article HERE from which I learnt a little.

Charlee Sep 28th 2017 6:27 pm

Well, if you're still a british citizen then you are also under the jurisdiction of the UK government, hence the question.

Originally Posted by Chatter Static (Post 12347667)
If you lived in Liverpool why would you be subject to Parliament rule without any qualms......?

I haven't heard of anyone proposing any alternatives or even care. No similarity there.

BritInParis Sep 28th 2017 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by Charlee (Post 12349261)
Well, if you're still a british citizen then you are also under the jurisdiction of the UK government, hence the question.

I haven't heard of anyone proposing any alternatives or even care. No similarity there.

Unless you have diplomatic immunity then you are under the jurisdiction of the legal system of your country of residence. Your citizenship is irrelevant.

EuroTrash Sep 28th 2017 9:51 pm

I don't understand the question. Do you mean, abolish national legal systems? But how on earth do you think the ECJ could possibly deal with every court case in every EU state, if the whole of Europe was under their sole direct juridiction with no national legal systems in place to enforce the law in their own countries?

Chatter Static Sep 29th 2017 4:37 pm

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2017/...4434884645.jpg