British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   World Cup (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/world-cup-672183/)

cjm Jun 12th 2010 8:40 pm

World Cup

Okay, it's just finished for England's match V USA. My view, the USA harrassed us and worked their collective behinds off. Heskey great playmaker not a scorer. Our defending atroci:blink:ous, we let the Yanks control too much.
Okay, you views ...

dmu Jun 12th 2010 8:51 pm

Re: World Cup

Originally Posted by cjm (Post 8628883)
Okay, it's just finished for England's match V USA. My view, the USA harrassed us and worked their collective behinds off. Heskey great playmaker not a scorer. Our defending atroci:blink:ous, we let the Yanks control too much.
Okay, you views ...

Hi,
didn't watch it, but could say the same for France's match against Uruguay yesterday....:)

le plumber Jun 12th 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 8628907)
Hi,
didn't watch it, but could say the same for France's match against Uruguay yesterday....:)

I fell asleep in the armchair while watching the France - Uruguay match. I'm not a great fan of football, but do usually watch the world cup, however, that constant background noise of the horns gets on my pecs though and it's like being in a beehive.
As for England............what can I say? Apart from butterfingers the goalkeeper - I still can't he did that:blink:

cjm Jun 13th 2010 11:49 am

Yep, horns not growing on me, but there was a barmy army brass section at the game, which topped them at times.

Watched some of the French game and yes, like England, a lot of highly talented players, but it seemed to me the Argies had the extra dollop of passion, as it was with the USA team. Perhaps a nothing to lose, so let's go for it approach, though Argentina could hardly be seen as a lower division national team. Maradonna though had piled on the weight and his suit looked several sizes XL to accommodate his not tall, but ample frame.

And what then with the England rugby team being wallopped in Oz .... ?:eek:

Ka Ora! Jun 13th 2010 1:24 pm

Butter fingers........ Has got to be the words of the day.:lol:

Ka Ora! Jun 14th 2010 8:25 pm

Not the result Italy were looking for...

My money is kind of on the Germans ending up in the Final if their form remains like last night.

cjm Jun 14th 2010 8:49 pm

Was the rain a factor one wonders. Italy the holders, lots expected of them; I agree with KO, Germany look more than good. Clinical. Not checked results sheet but is their 4 goals the tops?

What will Friday bring for England? Have to also support France, but I can't ignore my roots ...

le plumber Jun 15th 2010 7:43 am

Originally Posted by cjm (Post 8632928)
Was the rain a factor one wonders. Italy the holders, lots expected of them; I agree with KO, Germany look more than good. Clinical. Not checked results sheet but is their 4 goals the tops?

What will Friday bring for England? Have to also support France, but I can't ignore my roots ...

You don't have to support France - I certainly don't.

urbanproject Jun 18th 2010 6:26 am

Originally Posted by le plumber (Post 8633839)
You don't have to support France - I certainly don't.

Neither do I, and I'm French :rofl:

I switched allegiance a few months ago after the "prostitute" debacle...they're really a shameful lot.

Just been granted New Zealand citizenship so I'm supporting the All Whites instead. Mind you, they won't go far but at least they're fighters :p Agreed with Ka Ora, I think the Germans will take it home.

Jen :thumbup:

le plumber Jun 18th 2010 6:54 am

Originally Posted by urbanproject (Post 8640355)
Neither do I, and I'm French :rofl:

I switched allegiance a few months ago after the "prostitute" debacle...they're really a shameful lot.

Just been granted New Zealand citizenship so I'm supporting the All Whites instead. Mind you, they won't go far but at least they're fighters :p Agreed with Ka Ora, I think the Germans will take it home.

Jen :thumbup:

Not sure about the Germans, my bet would be on the Argies. I know one thing for sure though and that is that it ain't gong to be France:sneaky:

cjm Jun 18th 2010 7:13 am

After Mexico, it certainly won't be France. What a lacklustre performance. Argentina are growing in confidence and creativity and may go all the way, certainly Germany will go forward at least to the last 16. Tonight we shall see if England is likely to join them.
The option of supporting France has been taken away by their useless games; perhaps they are exhausted by their off-field activities!!!:o

le plumber Jun 18th 2010 7:23 am

Originally Posted by cjm (Post 8640420)
After Mexico, it certainly won't be France. What a lacklustre performance. Argentina are growing in confidence and creativity and may go all the way, certainly Germany will go forward at least to the last 16. Tonight we shall see if England is likely to join them.
The option of supporting France has been taken away by their useless games; perhaps they are exhausted by their off-field activities!!!:o

You've got to admit that these guys really are paid FAR too much for the performance they give. I haven't put on the radio yet, but I bet their ears are burning!!:eek:

Ka Ora! Jun 18th 2010 11:19 am

Originally Posted by le plumber (Post 8640442)
You've got to admit that these guys really are paid FAR too much for the performance they give. I haven't put on the radio yet, but I bet their ears are burning!!:eek:

When I went into my local at lunch time the conversation about the French team was not good. I like to see this World Cup shape up into a Underdogs competition.

cjm Jun 18th 2010 12:14 pm

It may happen with Germany down to 10 and a goal behind to Serbia.

Tweedpipe Jun 18th 2010 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by cjm (Post 8640843)
It may happen with Germany down to 10 and a goal behind to Serbia.

Final score: They LOST to Serbia 1:0 :eek:

Tweedpipe Jun 18th 2010 3:24 pm

Regarding the performance of France last night, well - todays French newspaper headlines say it all:- :thumbdown:

“Les Blues au fond du trou”

‘Les Bleus ont fait honte à leur maillot”

“Les joueurs francais se sont surestimés”

“Defait des bleus Il faut tous les virer!”

“Les Bleus battus par l’armée mexicaine.”

dmu Jun 20th 2010 7:33 am

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 8641198)
Regarding the performance of France last night, well - todays French newspaper headlines say it all:- :thumbdown:

“Les Blues au fond du trou”

‘Les Bleus ont fait honte à leur maillot”

“Les joueurs francais se sont surestimés”

“Defait des bleus Il faut tous les virer!”

“Les Bleus battus par l’armée mexicaine.”

Not to mention what the media and the French in general have to say about Anelka after his "alleged" insults....;)

Tweedpipe Jun 20th 2010 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 8644093)
Not to mention what the media and the French in general have to say about Anelka after his "alleged" insults....;)

And the teams refusal to train today in 'support' for Anelka :unsure::

Tweedpipe Jun 20th 2010 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 8645091)
And the teams refusal to train today in 'support' for Anelka :unsure::

What a fiasco!
After these recent events a "disgusted" Jean-Louis Valentin (FFF managing director) has appaently quit his post.
Politically things appear to have escalated too, with Nicolas Sarkozy having asked Roselyne Bachelot (the French Minister of Sports) to extend her stay in South Africa for meetings with French officials!

Now we know that there's yet another strike in France this coming Thurs, but will there be a 'blue' one next Tues afternoon with South Africa........??:unsure:

cjm Jun 21st 2010 8:50 am

One might argue the French are, at least, showing some b**ls off pitch, tho the show on pitch was as the French media so wonderfully put it 'lamentable'. Maybe with Terry's comments (and what a lot David James said with just a throwaway comment) the England team can carry their b**ls on to the pitch with them.
Now, what about those Brazilians, good or what ...

Tweedpipe Jun 22nd 2010 6:37 pm

I watched the match this afternoon, and frankly would have had more satisfaction if I'd have mowed the lawn. S.A did play well and made fools of the French as I think everyone was expecting.
As one French headline just said about their national team; 'Un Grand n’importe quoi'
They should now be made to walk/swim home.
One thing's for sure, we haven't heard the last about this fiasco.

dmu Jun 22nd 2010 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 8649513)
I watched the match this afternoon, and frankly would have had more satisfaction if I'd have mowed the lawn. S.A did play well and made fools of the French as I think everyone was expecting.
As one French headline just said about their national team; 'Un Grand n’importe quoi'
They should now be made to walk/swim home.
One thing's for sure, we haven't heard the last about this fiasco.

We watched it too and French OH wasn't unhappy to see les Bleus sent packing. Spoilt, arrogant brats:thumbdown:

Tweedpipe Jun 22nd 2010 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by dmu (Post 8649691)
We watched it too and French OH wasn't unhappy to see les Bleus sent packing. Spoilt, arrogant brats:thumbdown:

Interesting. My French OH had exactly the same sentiments.

le plumber Jun 22nd 2010 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe (Post 8649716)
Interesting. My French OH had exactly the same sentiments.

I heard on RTL that over 7 000 000 people in France had been questioned about the outcome of the match SA - France, and over two thirds of them didn't want too see "les bleus" win the match!! Blimey, and Rooney thought the English weren't loyal!!!:lol:

Andrea50 Jun 23rd 2010 10:23 pm

I'm still smarting about Caka being sent off - disgraceful - I found myself (rather scarily for a non-footie fan) up and shouting "he done nothin". Bearing in mind I'm hardly an expert and, up until 3 years ago, thought a Brasilian was what one got before an operation on the nether regions, it's going to be Germany, Holland, Brasil and Argentina up there fighting it out I reckon.

The debacle with the French team has certainly affected the locals here, even the bloke in the tabac was chuntering madly to the effect (I think) of bring back Zidane, although I seem to remember even he had a novel idea as to what a "header" involved .................

Tweedpipe Jun 29th 2010 5:17 pm

Talking about France and the world cup, have you heard the one about:-

(***I've provided appropriate translations at the end for those who may struggle).

1. Pendant le mondial, Raymond Domenech en a vraiment marre des mauvais résultats de l'équipe de France de football. Il décide d'appeler Aimé Jacquet, pour lui demander quelques conseils.
Raymond Domenech au téléphone :
- Allô, Aimé ? Ici c'est Raymond. Dis-moi, comment ferais-tu pour avoir une bonne equipe? Aimé Jacquet accepte de lui donner un petit coup de pouce :
- Écoute, c'est simple ! Tous les jours à l'entraînement, tu disposes onze mannequins en plastique sur le terrain, tu fais jouer les gars contre ces mannequins, et comme ils vont gagner à chaque fois au moins 80 à 0, ils vont avoir un moral d'acier !
Raymond Domenech, emballé :
- Ah d'accord ! Je vais essayer...!!
Deux jours plus tard, Domenech rappelle Aimé Jacquet :
- Dis donc Aimé, j'ai fait ce que tu m'as dit, mais que fais-tu quand les gars perdent 2-0 contre les mannequins pendant l'entrainement ?

2. C'est un supporter de l'équipe de France qui regarde un match de foot a la télé dans un bar.
Son chien est assis à ses côtés et regarde aussi le match quand, enfin, la France marque un but ! Le chien se met à japper et à courir dans tous les sens !
Le voisin demande au propriétaire du chien :
- Qu'est ce qui lui arrive à votre chien ?
- Il est supporter de l'équipe de France, il est content.
- Ben dites donc, juste pour un but ?! Et que fait-il quand la France gagne un match ?
- Ah ça, je sais pas ! Je ne l'ai que depuis 2 ans...

3. Pourquoi le sélectionneur de l'équipe de France de foot est-il surnommé le berger ?
Car il fait jouer onze chèvres sur un terrain de foot !

4. Quelle différence y a-t-il entre une prostituée et l'équipe de France de football ?
La prostituée est capable de faire trois passes d'affilée !

***i) During the world cup, Raymond Domenech is at his wits end due to the dismal results of the French football team. He decides to call Aimé Jacquet, to ask him for some advice.
Domenech dials up on his mobile telephone.
“Hello, Aimé? This is Raymond. Tell me, what would you do have a world class football team and ensure results?”
Aimé Jacquet replies, “Listen, it’s simple! Every day just prior to training, you plant eleven dummies in the ground, and then you make the lads play around them. And as they are going to win every time at least 80 - 0, they are going to be in high spirits!”
Raymond Domenech replied, “Ah great idea, I’ll give that a try!”
Some time later, Domenech calls back Aimé Jacquet.
“Hi Aimé, I tried what you said, but tell me, what do I do now? We’ve started the training as suggested, and the lads are loosing 3-0 at half time!!”

ii) A French football supporter is watching TV in a bar.
His dog is by his side and is also watching the match when, finally, France score a goal! The dog starts yapping and running madly around the room!
The barman says to the dog owner, “What’s wrong with your dog?”
The owner replied, “He loves the French team, he’s happy!”
“What, just for one goal! And what does he do when France wins a match?
“Ah, I’ve got no idea”, said the supporter, “I’ve only had him for 2 years”........

iii) Why do they call Raymond Domenech ‘Le Berger’
Because he plays with 11 goats on a football pitch!
:thumbsup:

dmu Jun 29th 2010 8:03 pm

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Tweedpipe Jun 29th 2010 8:54 pm

For any French who may be reading, this should prove that we can take just as well as we give:-

Fabio Capello was wheeling his shopping trolley across the supermarket car park when he noticed a little old lady struggling with her bags of shopping. He stopped and asked, “ Can you manage my dear?”
To which the old lady replied, “No way! You got yourself into this mess, now don’t ask me to sort it out......”

And I’ve just heard reported from a reliable source that just before leaving South Africa, the England team went to visit an orphanage. “It’s so good to put a smile on the faces of people with no hope, constantly struggling, and facing the impossible” said Jamal Omboto, aged 6.
:thumbsup:

conorpat69 Jun 30th 2010 1:22 pm

and I'll just add, if I may...

Osama bin Laden has just released a new video message to prove he is still
alive. He said that the England Team performance on Sunday was completely
s**t. British intelligence have dismissed the claim, stating that the
message could have been recorded anytime in the last 44 years. :rofl:

cjm Jun 30th 2010 3:20 pm

:blink:Can't do this one in French Tweedpipe but it comes from a French 'professor'.

First day of term. Teacher has his new class and starts with Francois.
'What does your father do'?
'He's a pompier', replies the lad.
'Bertran, what does you father do'?
'He's an avocat and works for the government'.
'Hassan, what does your father do'?
'He is an electrician and works for a local company'.
'Patrice, what does your father do'?
'He dances naked in a gay night club'!
'Pardon, you did say he danced naked in a night club'?
'Yes'.
'Okay', said the teacher, 'the bell has gone, I'll see you after the break. Patrice would you wait a moment please'.
After the pupils leave the classroom the teacher asks Paatrice 'Did you really mean your father dances naked in a gay night club?'
'No, of course not', replies Patrice, 'but I could hardly say he is a footballer and plays for France.' :zzz:

Andrea50 Jul 1st 2010 9:18 am

Sacre yellow, what a hoot it's turning out to be. However, for a non-footie fan but someone who used to play for Appleton Ladies a long time ago, I have two comments:

1. Even with Big Lil (15 stone at 15 years old) and a girl with one leg on the wing, we could still have got further than England did.

2. More scarily still, it wasn't on yesterday - and I actually MISSED SEEING IT!!

I mised the interview on telly the other night with Dago Maradonna but I'm still rooting for Argentina or Brazil anyway.

Andrea50 Jul 1st 2010 9:21 am

Oh bloody hell, just re-read THAT post too and it aint my day - the spelling of Monsewer Maradonna's name was absolutely a tying error - this wretched keyboard! (just before the Concierge with his Big Guns and any administrators think I was being racist and kick me into touch more effectively than Frank Lampost could do, I obsolutely wasnt).