Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

working in UK but wanting to live in france

working in UK but wanting to live in france

Old May 23rd 2020, 12:38 pm
  #31  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,214
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by EuroTrash View Post
I like wine.
BUT, this is cider country. Cider, pommeau (the apple aperif) and calvados (the apple spirit).
I'm unfortunately not there right now, for complicated reasons, but I imagine it is very pretty with all the apple blossom in the orchards.
There is at least one other regular forum contributor who is an honorary Norman. Are you out there, Novo?
I never stray far ET.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 12:43 pm
  #32  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,214
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

MrsKS, is it Normandy/Calvados that interests you. Is that where your husband resides?

(I haven't been following this thread so far).

OK, so it's on an agent's recommendation? I concur that it's a beautiful area. Our French home is about 25 km west of Bayeux, near the border with Manche, 10km from Carentan,equidistant between the major cities of Cherbourg and Caen and only 5km from the cosst.
It's lovely there.

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 23rd 2020 at 12:50 pm.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 1:24 pm
  #33  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: May 2020
Posts: 15
MrsKS is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
MrsKS, is it Normandy/Calvados that interests you. Is that where your husband resides?

(I haven't been following this thread so far).

OK, so it's on an agent's recommendation? I concur that it's a beautiful area. Our French home is about 25 km west of Bayeux, near the border with Manche, 10km from Carentan,equidistant between the major cities of Cherbourg and Caen and only 5km from the cosst.
It's lovely there.

no no we are both in Oxfordshire ATM . Your area also sounds perfect so I’m going to have a look there on google when the borders are lifted with the quarantine restrictions we can then plan a route of these recommended areas . Thank you for adding your comments 👍

Last edited by Rosemary; May 23rd 2020 at 1:34 pm. Reason: corrected quote
MrsKS is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:04 pm
  #34  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,214
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by MrsKS View Post
no no we are both in Oxfordshire ATM . Your area also sounds perfect so I’m going to have a look there on google when the borders are lifted with the quarantine restrictions we can then plan a route of these recommended areas . Thank you for adding your comments 👍
I should add that the small town (pop ±3000) is very quiet out of season, but, being very handy for the D-day beaches and having a giant camping (Le Fanal) just out of town, it's bustling in the May-September months.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 2:31 pm
  #35  
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Hérault (34)
Posts: 7,705
dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by MrsKS View Post
I want to leave the property to my children so i would not to override anything. I've been advised, If you are resident in France, in the absence of a Will or other inheritance planning measures being taken, the rules of an intestate inheritance apply.

These grant automatic rights of inheritance to a surviving married spouse and children, or to other relatives in the absence of a surviving spouse or children.

Nevertheless, a French Will (or Will made in any other country over assets based in France) cannot override French inheritance laws, which grants entrenched rights of inheritance to your children,

However, since 2015 it is possible under European law to adopt the inheritance laws of your home country.

In the presence of a Will, and without use of the European law on successions, only your children retain their entrenched rights of inheritance (you could actually disenfranchise your spouse, if you so wished, provided you had children!)
Nevertheless, French Succession Laws would govern the fiscal side. French property is subject to Taxes de Succession whoever inherits. Direct heirs (spouse and children) usually have nothing to pay, unless the property (including assets) has a very high value (sorry, I can't remember the figure, but it's high...), but siblings, cousins, etc... would have to pay a relatively high percentage of the value of their inheritance, and nominated heirs who are unrelated to the deceased would have to pay 60%....(this is not a typing error)
You mention "my" children. If this implies that your husband isn't their father, you should consult the Notaire handling your property purchase, since, unless they've been adopted by your husband, they aren't related to him and would be considered unrelated for his own Succession if he mentions them in a Will. The Notaire would find the best solution in everyone's best interests.... No problem, of course, if your husband is your children's father - I'm simply splitting hairs due to the mention of "my"....
I would be wary of counting on local expats to help you out with the language - would you want strangers to know all about your personal finances, health, etc... when they accompany you to the Bank, Administrations, etc.....? And could you be sure that they've interpreted everything correctly? I'd want to get to know them and become trusted friends first, but all Administrations/Utilities/Bank, etc.... must be dealt with quickly.... Maybe you should both take time as from now to brush up your French?
There are so many French quirks, but fore-warned is fore-armed!

Last edited by dmu; May 23rd 2020 at 2:33 pm.
dmu is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 3:34 pm
  #36  
BE Forum Addict
 
cyrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Scotland & Touraine [37]
Posts: 2,536
cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by MrsKS View Post
I want to leave the property to my children so i would not to override anything. I've been advised, If you are resident in France, in the absence of a Will or other inheritance planning measures being taken, the rules of an intestate inheritance apply.

These grant automatic rights of inheritance to a surviving married spouse and children, or to other relatives in the absence of a surviving spouse or children.

Nevertheless, a French Will (or Will made in any other country over assets based in France) cannot override French inheritance laws, which grants entrenched rights of inheritance to your children,

However, since 2015 it is possible under European law to adopt the inheritance laws of your home country.

In the presence of a Will, and without use of the European law on successions, only your children retain their entrenched rights of inheritance (you could actually disenfranchise your spouse, if you so wished, provided you had children!)
You are correct - It has changed since I set ours up
cyrian is offline  
Old May 23rd 2020, 4:03 pm
  #37  
Born again atheist
 
Novocastrian's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Europe (to be specified).
Posts: 30,214
Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by cyrian View Post
You are correct - It has changed since I set ours up
We had our Wills in Canada but after my retirement in 2015, we moved back to the UK and soon drew up UK Wills a few months after the EU regulation enabling UK law to apply to property elsewhere in the EU. The Solicitors wouldn't touch that with barge-pole at the time. Perhaps they would now. Perhaps not.
Novocastrian is offline  
Old May 24th 2020, 12:28 pm
  #38  
Quien no sabe
 
Chatter Static's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 3,802
Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by Novocastrian View Post
We had our Wills in Canada but after my retirement in 2015, we moved back to the UK and soon drew up UK Wills a few months after the EU regulation enabling UK law to apply to property elsewhere in the EU. The Solicitors wouldn't touch that with barge-pole at the time. Perhaps they would now. Perhaps not.
It's better to have wills in each country which don't clash with each other most solicitors would have to contract out the overseas part because dual trained lawyers would cost two arms and a leg.

​​​
For skipping the kids initially upon one parents death the first one obviously a change of marital status is needed to "régime de communauté universelle" you need to use a notaire to do this and in our case it had to be certified by the family court. Then the kids get it all on the remaining parents death, but it gives you the option to sell up if on your Todd and want to go somewhere else If you have kids from previous marriages it will complicate things no end.

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 24th 2020 at 12:34 pm.
Chatter Static is offline  
Old May 24th 2020, 12:40 pm
  #39  
Just Joined
 
May contain nuts's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2020
Location: Pyrénées-Atlantiques (64100)
Posts: 24
May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by Chatter Static View Post
For skipping the kids initially upon one parents death the first one obviously a change of marital status is needed to "régime de communauté universelle" you need to use a notaire to do this and in our case it had to be certified by the family court. Then the kids get it all on the remaining parents death, but it gives you the option to sell up if on your Todd and want to go somewhere else If you have kids from previous marriages it will complicate things no end.
That's good advice..
We set that up a few years ago. From memory it cost about 500€ - but it's worth doing.
May contain nuts is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.