Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

working in UK but wanting to live in france

working in UK but wanting to live in france

Old May 22nd 2020, 2:41 pm
Just Joined

MrsKS is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up working in UK but wanting to live in france

Hello everyone, i hope you are all keeping safe and well. Having found this amazing forum i would be really grateful for some advice. I run my own business in the UK ( computer-based limited company ) and want to live permanently in France with my husband who is retired. I want to continue with the business , but need advice as to whether this is possible to do so . Would I still file my returns in the usual manner with HMRC , would I need to register for tax in France and would i be able to live in France with my husband on just a visa?

any help on this subject would be very welcome .
Old May 22nd 2020, 3:27 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Originally Posted by MrsKS
Hello everyone, i hope you are all keeping safe and well. Having found this amazing forum i would be really grateful for some advice. I run my own business in the UK ( computer-based limited company ) and want to live permanently in France with my husband who is retired. I want to continue with the business , but need advice as to whether this is possible to do so . Would I still file my returns in the usual manner with HMRC , would I need to register for tax in France and would i be able to live in France with my husband on just a visa?

any help on this subject would be very welcome .
Hi, and welcome to the forum!
A similar query was made quite recently, if you make a forum search.
Unless your UK company posts you to France (which is complicated, esp. on the healthcare insurance front), you'd have to set up a French business structure even if working from home.
Depending on your activity, the simplest would be a Micro-Entreprise but you wouldn't be able to bill just one client (your UK company). The French equivalent to a Limited Company is an SàRL which involves paying crippling social charges and all manner of taxes. (I speak from experience...)
You'd have to consult an Expert-Comptable or your regional CCI (Chamber of Commerce and Industry) who will advise on the most suitable business structure for your activity. and explain all the legal, social, administrative and fiscal rules and regulations.
Whatever your employment status, if you're working in France, you pay Income Tax in France.
Some one more in the know will come along to explain the nitty-gritty, but be aware that you can't live in France and work for a UK company as if there weren't any Border between the two countries (and who knows what Brexit will bring?).
HTH
P.S. I forgot to suggest reading #17 and #20 in the Read-Me: Moving to France FAQs above. Unfortunately the thread on Starting a Business is out of date...

Last edited by dmu; May 22nd 2020 at 3:37 pm.
Old May 22nd 2020, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your reply. Thats a huge shame. Could i buy a property and work from there on a part time basis? 6 months uk /6months France for example?
If that is not possible do you know if it would be possible to retire early and use rental income to be self sufficient etc?

thanks for your help.
Old May 22nd 2020, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: working in UK but wanting to live in france

Furthermore, would it change things if I was self-employed, and carried on what I was doing but deregister the UK limited company.

thanks
Old May 22nd 2020, 4:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
What you propose is not straight forward.
As said you would need a french business structure and you would need to consult an Expert-Comptable (Chartered Accountant) who is familiar with both tax regimes.
France is not a business friendly country.
In France, your tax is calculated per household and not per individual.
You would have to pay social charges (NIC) on all your income - savings income (currently around 0% ); investment income and dividend income.
Your income could be affected by currency fluctuations.
You will no longer be covered by the NHS.
Your business will allow you to join the French healthcare system.
You should strongly consider having a "mutuelle" top-up healthcare insurance to cover the 30% basic healthcare that the State doesn't cover as well as dental and optic cover.
Retired residents continue to pay social charges (NIC).
Possibly easier to create a French company while still using your trading name but all your accounting would be in France.
You would need to increase your pricing to achieve the same net profit.
Another option would be to have a second home in France and spend time there while keeping your main residence in the UK.
If you work in France without a business structure then you are considered to be working "on the black" and neighbours will denounce you for not paying the taxes and social charges that they have to pay.
If you have family then you need to consider inheritance tax and succession.
In France, when a parent dies it is the children who inherit the house and the bulk of the assets unless you make appropriate arrangements.
You cannot choose who gets what when you die.
This is especially complex for 'second' families with children from both partners.
Have a good read through this site: Notaires de France (English)
Hope that helps

Addition - There is no such thing as self employed as we know it in the UK. You need to be registered using the correct business structure before you start working.
The only reason for choosing a particular business model is because it is appropriate for your type of business and the taxation and social charges payable.

HTH

Last edited by cyrian; May 22nd 2020 at 4:07 pm.
Old May 22nd 2020, 4:12 pm
Just Joined

Yes that helps, thank you very much. Would that be along the lines of micro-entrepreneur? is that your suggestion?

Old May 22nd 2020, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point

MrsKS - I've just sent you a PM..
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mrs KS

You are asking some vast questions.
Regarding your right to live in France, you need to start by understanding freedom of movement, how it works and what the conditions are for different statuses- retired, inactif, economically active etc. This website may help https://www.remaininfrance.fr/
Regarding the business, micro entrepreneur is the simplest but it's not suitable for all kinds of business.
You need to look at the options and decide what best suits your business model. It is important to choose the right business structure to start off with.
The best place to get advice is your local Chambre de Commerce, when you're in France and everything is opened up again.

Why the PM, MCN? I thought the point of a forum was to discuss things and share knowledge, advice and suggestions out in the open for everyone's benefit. One new poster taking another new poster outside and giving them one on one advice isn't really in the forum spirit,..
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:34 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply. Sorry if you think my questions are vast, I am just trying to weigh up options. I am a consultant and my position of work only applies to businesses operating in the UK. The company has been running for over 20 years and I want to carry on working for a little longer not give it up just yet, but if retiring to France early without continuing with the business is the way forward then I will consider doing that, if its permitted with the French Gov. Thank you for the link i will look into it, hopefully, it will help with my own personal situation.
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:56 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsKS
Furthermore, would it change things if I was self-employed, and carried on what I was doing but deregister the UK limited company.

thanks
This is the simplest solution, and if you register as a Micro-Entrepreneur in France, you would bill all your various UK clients (in euros!).
If you are renting, you would have to get your landlord's written permission to work from home and also use their address as your place of business.
If you keep on your UK company and buy property in France but only work there part-time, the question of your Tax-Residency would be raised, not to mention the healthcare insurance charges to be paid by your company, already mentioned.
Your retired husband might also encounter issues concerning his own Residency status, as your spouse...
Many aspects to research!
HTH
Old May 22nd 2020, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the bitesize guides, this one is probably most relevant to your situation right now https://www.remaininfrance.fr/copy-o...e-template-3-1

I think your first big decision needs to be, whether it's worth moving to France before Brexit if ideally you would leave it a year or two. To decide that you need to clarify in your head what the differences are between moving as an EU citizen and moving as a third party national, and decide whether there is any real advantage to you in moving now as opposed to later, when you're ready to stop work.
Old May 22nd 2020, 6:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Re wheher micro entrepreneur is a good solution, it's impossible to say without knowing a little about your business model. How high are your overheads? Do you employ staff? Do you subcontract? If you have high overheads and / or you subcontract or employ another person, micro entrepreneur would be a disaster.
Old May 22nd 2020, 6:10 pm
Just Joined

I don't have high overheads at all. i do not employ anyone now, I don't sub contact its just myself as a Director now. does that make a big difference?

Last edited by MrsKS; May 22nd 2020 at 6:13 pm.
Old May 22nd 2020, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

its all a bit of a minefield, but i respect the French Law and rules are rules. thank you for your input.
Old May 22nd 2020, 6:31 pm
Forum Regular

May contain nuts is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Why the PM, MCN? I thought the point of a forum was to discuss things and share knowledge, advice and suggestions out in the open for everyone's benefit. One new poster taking another new poster outside and giving them one on one advice isn't really in the forum spirit,..
Yes, I appreciate that but I was sharing some personal information with the OP.
Mcn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.