Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

"Work for free" day

"Work for free" day

Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default "Work for free" day

I'd forgotten today is the day people work for free. Formerly a bank holiday, but after the deaths from the summer heat several years back, I'm told people work for free today and their earnings go to charity... What gets me though is that the public servants don't work today; seems like a double standard - surely the state would be ensuring they were the ones setting an example? It also means the transport situation is bad, and so those who can't get to work to do a non-paid day's graft have an unpaid day's holiday taken from them... Maybe I've got some of the details wrong, but if not, could you see this working in the UK?!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Work for free" day

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I'd forgotten today is the day people work for free. Formerly a bank holiday, but after the deaths from the summer heat several years back, I'm told people work for free today and their earnings go to charity... What gets me though is that the public servants don't work today; seems like a double standard - surely the state would be ensuring they were the ones setting an example? It also means the transport situation is bad, and so those who can't get to work to do a non-paid day's graft have an unpaid day's holiday taken from them... Maybe I've got some of the details wrong, but if not, could you see this working in the UK?!
Hi, you must have missed the thread "Them Old People" in le Rendezvous a few days ago!
Whit Monday has been reinstated as an official Bank Holiday and companies can choose which day the employees will work for free. Employees can even have the 7 hours spread over a longer period.
Must admit it's very confusing...
Old Jun 1st 2009, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, you must have missed the thread "Them Old People" in le Rendezvous a few days ago!
Whit Monday has been reinstated as an official Bank Holiday and companies can choose which day the employees will work for free. Employees can even have the 7 hours spread over a longer period.
Must admit it's very confusing...
I did miss that one... Most people I know are working today, so I guess a lot of company's opt for employees to work on the former bank holiday. Didn't know they were flexible on the dates though. Fortunately it doesn't affect me, but I was quite surprised by the concept.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 10:25 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Fortunately it doesn't affect me.
Bank holidays didn't exist for me either when I was working for myself. Weekends neither if I had urgent deadlines.
"Freelance" isn't the right word, you're slave to your clients, or you lose them But at least you're your own boss!
Old Jun 1st 2009, 11:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dmu
Bank holidays didn't exist for me either when I was working for myself. Weekends neither if I had urgent deadlines.
"Freelance" isn't the right word, you're slave to your clients, or you lose them But at least you're your own boss!
Yep, bit of a double edged sword really. Anyway, I shan't complain, I've just been eating mozzarella cheese with tomatoes and a drop of wine - I believe I've figured out why the French make such a fuss out of food. Can also listen to whatever music I like.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

As an employee, I find it rather unfair that we are the only ones who have to contribute to this thing. I don't see anyone forcing money out of the self-employed, the pensioners, the 'inactifs' and so on. In principle I don't have a problem with the basic idea, but why burden just the working population, especially those of us who receive only the minimum wage?
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by cupoftea
As an employee, I find it rather unfair that we are the only ones who have to contribute to this thing. I don't see anyone forcing money out of the self-employed, the pensioners, the 'inactifs' and so on. In principle I don't have a problem with the basic idea, but why burden just the working population, especially those of us who receive only the minimum wage?
Though it doesn't affect me, this is still my gripe. In general the French aren't known for their generous charitable contributions, but even so, such things should be done by a person's own discretion and not forced upon them by the state. There also seems to be a double standard by giving public servants the day off, but I guess if they didn't they'd bring in the unions and just have the day off in strike anyway! h
Old Jun 1st 2009, 2:47 pm
Forum Regular

cupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud ofcupoftea has much to be proud of

As it happens, I do have the day off today, which I am enjoying very much as I usually work 6 days a week, with only Sundays off - so this is a rare (and much appreciated!) two day break.

On the other hand, my 'free' hours are going to be taken from me somewhere else, and to be honest, the information about it is so complicated, that it will be hard to know what on earth has happened to my pay.

Such is life I guess when one is at the bottom of the pile! Interesting for me as I had always held relatively senior positions in the UK. However, on the positive side, I really enjoy not having so much responsibility and being able to just go to work and do my job with no worries.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

As it happens, I do have the day off today, which I am enjoying very much as I usually work 6 days a week, with only Sundays off - so this is a rare (and much appreciated!) two day break.

On the other hand, my 'free' hours are going to be taken from me somewhere else, and to be honest, the information about it is so complicated, that it will be hard to know what on earth has happened to my pay.

Such is life I guess when one is at the bottom of the pile! Interesting for me as I had always held relatively senior positions in the UK. However, on the positive side, I really enjoy not having so much responsibility and being able to just go to work and do my job with no worries.
I've found you sometimes just have to take the knocks and accept this is the way things are done here. Ultimately it's about lifestyle choice, and as long as you have enough to just tick over, then you might as well enjoy it. Doesn't mean we can't have the occasional whinge.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

I've found you sometimes just have to take the knocks and accept this is the way things are done here. Ultimately it's about lifestyle choice, and as long as you have enough to just tick over, then you might as well enjoy it. Doesn't mean we can't have the occasional whinge.
Definitely agree with you on this, and I know exactly which lifestyle I prefer! Everyday is like a holiday here as I live in such a beautiful place, high up in the mountains. I have never been so happy in my life. Minor work issues barely feature in my thoughts.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Definitely agree with you on this, and I know exactly which lifestyle I prefer! Everyday is like a holiday here as I live in such a beautiful place, high up in the mountains. I have never been so happy in my life. Minor work issues barely feature in my thoughts.
Glad to hear you got out of the rat race... I think it takes a while to adjust to a different pace of life, but you soon realise you can't go back to it... Unfortunately I'm in Paris, so I see stressed and impatient people daily, but I'm pretty laid back and know I won't stay here indefinitely.
Old Jun 1st 2009, 7:27 pm
Forum Regular

Nibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud ofNibbler has much to be proud of

Just finished my day of no pay.....i feel up lifted and happy that "them old people" that i saw today are grateful for my money........not!!!!!!!.....i hope you all get something lodged under your dentures.....
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

Grand Fromage is on a distinguished road

Well there you go, I didn't even know the holiday had been reinstated. I went out for some denture fixative only to find the shops shut
Now I have got something stuck under my bottom plate
Old Jun 2nd 2009, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Grand Fromage
Well there you go, I didn't even know the holiday had been reinstated. I went out for some denture fixative only to find the shops shut
Now I have got something stuck under my bottom plate
Look what you've done Nibbler!