Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Wives! Who'd have 'em!

Wives! Who'd have 'em!

Old Aug 9th 2019, 6:17 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wives! Who'd have 'em!

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
So, the purchase has now been made.
A few days ago, after spending about 2hrs on various bedding websites and other related FAQ sites, Mme suddenly announced she knew exactly what sort of mattress we needed - Latex, as it was 'natural' and apparently very durable. As she'd not even tried one, or any other type up until then, I stayed silent!

Then yesterday, after tarting herself up a bit, told me to hurry and get ready to go out for the Great Mattress Shopping Spree. To her surprise, I told her I wasn't going anywhere. I'd already tested many for their individual comfort in several stores and decided that I preferred one of the very latest hybrid multi-spring matresses. Adding that she was now on her own, and if she came back with one that I didn't like, "No big deal," I said, "I can always sleep in the guest bedroom!" And off she went in a huff.

Fast forward to the end of the afternoon. She arrived home exhausted from her shopping trip. I assumed it was from all that lying down on the job, and the frustration of discussing the most favourable, less painful positions etc with strangers........
I like to think that my words of wisdom and strategy paid off, as to my satisfaction she also had preferred a hybrid mattress, and had negotiated the price inclusive of delivery, which I had specifically repeated.
It arrives next week, and the guest bedroom should therefore remain unoccupied. Normalement........

Again, thanks for all your feedback & comments. If I'm in the guest bedroom next week, I'll blame you lot!

If it all goes south, which I sincerely hope will not be the case, you might need to introduce a topper mattress into the mix.

Wonderful things, I'm being serious for once.
Old Aug 9th 2019, 7:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

This has got to be one of the funniest threads I've ever read on BE
I probably only ever wandered into this forum once or twice before. And that was years ago.
So what lured me here now?
Well, I guess it was this thread's title - given a particular thread that's been obsessing me in the USA forum for the last 2 months. It deals with a horrific divorce situation.
I probably came here, seeking some light relief.
And boy, did I get it. In spades! - everything took on a double entendre...

Anyway...there's an old American saying. It goes:
"Sleep well
Sleep tight
Don't let
Bed bugs bite"

Dors bien.
May marital bliss prevail and thanks for the laugh
Old Aug 11th 2019, 10:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

MMcD
I appreciate your comments, the humour being especially aided by other contributors.
My attempts at humour however pale in comparison to some other posters, namely Stokkevn over on the Far East & Asia/Philippines forum.
Suggest you check it out. Link HERE.
Old Aug 16th 2019, 7:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I've got one of those French wives too; perhaps you've once experienced the absolute look of disgust and scolding one gets when one cuts the cheese the 'English' way?!
Thankfully my wife bought a really good quality mattress many years ago (before we met) and it's still going strong, but she does want yet another cat when we get back from our holidays (I'm allergic to them). We've already accumulated quite a few, plus an abandoned dog.

Good luck with your purchase!
Old Aug 20th 2019, 3:57 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by G-J-B
I've got one of those French wives too; perhaps you've once experienced the absolute look of disgust and scolding one gets when one cuts the cheese the 'English' way?!
Thankfully my wife bought a really good quality mattress many years ago (before we met) and it's still going strong, but she does want yet another cat when we get back from our holidays (I'm allergic to them). We've already accumulated quite a few, plus an abandoned dog.

Good luck with your purchase!
Just acquired a new set of kittens you can get matching pairs my oh is the allergic one.....

Old Aug 21st 2019, 1:30 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Just acquired a new set of kittens you can get matching pairs my oh is the allergic one.....

Very cute
Old Aug 21st 2019, 1:41 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

If only they remained as kittens! I don't dislike cats per se, I just don't love them.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 2:45 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Typical man.
Mine thinks I think he is always wrong.
In this he is right.

Old Aug 21st 2019, 2:53 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
@SofS and Vstix,

I've never tried it but I’ve heard that wardrobe diving’s a very dangerous sport.
Our old Hollycat used to do that to us. Wait until we were snoozles and then launch straight for the soft tissue . He also dealt with any Sunday lie-ins in the same way.
Clever cat was our Holl.

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I wonder what happens to the mattresses that people send back after the 90 days? Hopefully they're not put back into new stock
Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Not sure about the US but in Canada they must be destroyed.
I agree about not wanting someone's else's cruds on a 3 month tried and tested mattress but what a honking great throwaway waste all round.

Old Aug 21st 2019, 7:26 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Our old Hollycat used to do that to us. Wait until we were snoozles and then launch straight for the soft tissue . He also dealt with any Sunday lie-ins in the same way.
Clever cat was our Holl.

I agree about not wanting someone's else's cruds on a 3 month tried and tested mattress but what a honking great throwaway waste all round.

It's one of the big problems at the moment disposable world we live in. If they can afford to throw away mattresses after 3 months use I suspect in reality the consumer is getting ripped off lets be honest all these new memory foam mattresses are injection formed from mixed liquids.
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static

Mattress or no new mattress, perhaps they're just the answer for my puurfect night's sleep........
But one things for sure, wouldn't they make an idyllically comfortable topper mattress!
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:53 am
Forum Regular

dairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nicedairymaid is just really nice

Bought for my OH....still hasn´t worn it
Old Aug 21st 2019, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Just a quick update on our purchase.
The new mattress was delivered and installed by the very knowledgeable store owner, who explained that there was a summer and winter ’side’ and showed us how to identify the difference at the end of season.
I asked if any clients actually did request a change of a new mattress a short time after purchase, (ours having a 90 day return policy) and what happens to those rejected. Apparently it’s rare that people request a change, as he always insists that buyers spend time in-store to try as many different types as possible, and he explains the pros & any cons prior to making the purchase. This provides greater satisfaction to the buyer and alleviates the need for a return trip to collect and eventually dispose of the mattress. For those he collects for disposal (ours for example) and apparently any other new ones which don’t meet the needs of new buyers and obviously cannot be resold, he delivers them to a local charity organisation.
He also identified that our bed-frame wooden slats needed adjustment - which he performed in minutes. To my relief on the wooden slats there was no mention of excessive abuse or of any noticeable wardrobe-sport inflicted misuse. Although unknown to him, I’d taken particular care to tape the cat-of-nine-tails to the rear of the headboard well out of sight, and I don't think he noticed either my torn rubber leggings hanging on the end of the curtain-rail…….

Although leading up to purchase, the shopping experience was rather a pain in the butt - or rather back, bottom line is, we’re pleased with the end result.
I'm certain it won't be long before Mme TP finds something else to worry her pretty little head about. But in the meantime relative calm reigns chez nous, and that's fine with me!