Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Wish to move to France (south france)

Wish to move to France (south france)

Old Aug 10th 2008, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

nakbeb is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Wish to move to France (south france)

Hello,

I am new to this website... registered because found it very useful and was wondering if someone would be able to help me.

I am a little confused because I am British married to a non-EU citizen (Mauritian) and we have 4 kids - (2 daughters (British) and 2 step sons (Mauritian)) and we would like to move to either France or Australia (preferable France and we all speak French).

The only big problem that I am having is that my two step sons are over 18 and still depend on me and I do not know if they would be eligible to a long stay visa.
I have tried to look on the French embassy's website but cannot see anything.

Maybe one of you have had a similar problem and would be able to advise????

The other worry that I have would be the concerning employment... Is it rather easy or hard to find a job in the south of France???

Thank you in advice for you help...
Old Aug 10th 2008, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wish to move to France (south france)

Originally Posted by nakbeb
Hello,

I am new to this website... registered because found it very useful and was wondering if someone would be able to help me.

I am a little confused because I am British married to a non-EU citizen (Mauritian) and we have 4 kids - (2 daughters (British) and 2 step sons (Mauritian)) and we would like to move to either France or Australia (preferable France and we all speak French).

The only big problem that I am having is that my two step sons are over 18 and still depend on me and I do not know if they would be eligible to a long stay visa.
I have tried to look on the French embassy's website but cannot see anything.

Maybe one of you have had a similar problem and would be able to advise????

The other worry that I have would be the concerning employment... Is it rather easy or hard to find a job in the south of France???

Thank you in advice for you help...
Hi there and welcome to the forum
It will all depend on what sort of jobs you are looking for, but obviously being able to speak french will be a big advantage. Perhaps if you could let us know what sort of jobs you are looking for, then we could be of more help?
As for the boys, usually when they reach 18 they are classed as adults and would have to make an application to move to France in their own right. What status do they have for living in UK though? Do they have British passports or are they on visitors permits? Again, that will make a difference. The best people to ask are going to be the French Embassy in London.
According to their website, visas for people from Mauritius are issued the day they are applied for. They also have a phone no. at the embassy you can call, which might help.
http://www.consulfrance-londres.org/spip.php?article322
Old Aug 11th 2008, 1:33 am
Just Joined

hajamie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by val50
It will all depend on what sort of jobs you are looking for, but obviously being able to speak french will be a big advantage. Perhaps if you could let us know what sort of jobs you are looking for, then we could be of more help?
As for the boys, usually when they reach 18 they are classed as adults and would have to make an application to move to France in their own right. What status do they have for living in UK though? Do they have British passports or are they on visitors permits? Again, that will make a difference. The best people to ask are going to be the French Embassy in London.
According to their website, visas for people from Mauritius are issued the day they are applied for. They also have a phone no. at the embassy you can call, which might help.
Is it not all based on a points system?
J.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 12:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hajamie
Is it not all based on a points system?
J.
It depends where you are coming from and your circumstances
Old Aug 13th 2008, 5:13 pm
Just Joined

nakbeb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by val50
Thank you for the link..

Coming back to your questions I am working in HR as a Recruitment Advisor but I was also interested to go into teaching do not know if it is worth it !!!

For the boys they do not have a British Passport they are in the UK on a Training and work experience work permit until 2010. They still depend on me as I provide them with accommodation as they are still studying and their salaries are not high enough to pay for accommodation.