Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

winter fuel allowance

winter fuel allowance

Old Jun 28th 2013, 7:31 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: winter fuel allowance

We seem to be addressing two different payments.
The winter fuel allowance which is £200 - £300 depending on age and is paid universally (perhaps not including Europe ) in November and the cold weather payments which are paid when the temperature stays below a certain level for a certain period.
Old Jul 1st 2013, 1:07 pm
Just Joined

Rayo is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been writing to MPs to get the payments stopped to those of us living in warmer climates. There are far more needy cases in the world. I pay my WFO to Wateraid.
UK MEPs are on www.writetothem.org.com
Old Jul 1st 2013, 3:28 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rayo
I have been writing to MPs to get the payments stopped to those of us living in warmer climates. There are far more needy cases in the world. I pay my WFO to Wateraid.
UK MEPs are on www.writetothem.org.com
PRESUMABLY YOU WILL BE WRITING TO EACH AND EVERY ONE TELLING THEM THEY DON'T DESERVE A £10,000 PAY RISE EITHER

Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Domino
PRESUMABLY YOU WILL BE WRITING TO EACH AND EVERY ONE TELLING THEM THEY DON'T DESERVE A £10,000 PAY RISE EITHER

Don't see the connection.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

The root of the problem was an increase in the Pension of £200 a year. It should have been part of the Pension inflationary increase. However it was called a vote catching Winter Fuel allowance which meant it was easy to claw back as a political statement.
It's not as if the £200 is a big deal, its just a gesture but it should ,as another poster mentioned, have been included in the Pension and liable to tax.
I left UK 4 weeks after my 60th birthday and when I queried why I never received the Allowance I was told the qualifying age is actually 60 plus another 6 months waiting period.
I am not sure I would have got it anyway as my 78 year old Mother lives with us and she gets it. I think it's a household payment rather than a per person allowance.

As a follow up to the previous post on MPs salaries it is scandalous that we expect our elected representative to work in such a high profile and difficult job for current salary levels. How an earth can we expect the best brains to work for comparative peanuts . Maybe this should be a different thread?
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 11:12 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wetwang
The root of the problem was an increase in the Pension of £200 a year. It should have been part of the Pension inflationary increase. However it was called a vote catching Winter Fuel allowance which meant it was easy to claw back as a political statement.
It's not as if the £200 is a big deal, its just a gesture but it should ,as another poster mentioned, have been included in the Pension and liable to tax.
I left UK 4 weeks after my 60th birthday and when I queried why I never received the Allowance I was told the qualifying age is actually 60 plus another 6 months waiting period.
I am not sure I would have got it anyway as my 78 year old Mother lives with us and she gets it. I think it's a household payment rather than a per person allowance.

As a follow up to the previous post on MPs salaries it is scandalous that we expect our elected representative to work in such a high profile and difficult job for current salary levels. How an earth can we expect the best brains to work for comparative peanuts . Maybe this should be a different thread?
Yes, it is a household payment, and usually if there are more than one qualifying person in the household, then they will get a proportion of the monaye, there are two of us pensioners here, and we get £100 each, before I qualified, my wife got the full £200, if there were 4 qualifiers, then they would each get £50.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

I have literally just had an email from my MP that from 2015 the Winter Fuel Allowance will be stopped for people living abroad.

Last edited by Rayo; Jul 3rd 2013 at 2:20 pm.
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

Some grey areas yet

http://connexionfrance.com/UK-Osborn...w-article.html
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 3:20 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wetwang
Imho It should be post code based it is really not hard to work out a post code average using http://www.wunderground.com
Old Jul 3rd 2013, 4:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

Right now, what I'd need is a summer fuel allowance.
Old Jul 4th 2013, 6:13 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Imho It should be post code based it is really not hard to work out a post code average using http://www.wunderground.com
I think I said before, the government will want to make a simple cut, so doubt it will not be post-coded, but country by country.
Old Jul 5th 2013, 6:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Right now, what I'd need is a summer fuel allowance.
same here
seems like yesterday we were freezing and soaked

in fact it was yesterday