WIMAX

Old Feb 18th 2011, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all
Default WIMAX

I came accross this site;- www.numeo.fr , put in my department (19) and then my village and got a pdf ;- " (145) Wimax 2 Mega Max"

Does anyone have experience of this?
Old Feb 20th 2011, 7:54 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WIMAX

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac
I came accross this site;- www.numeo.fr , put in my department (19) and then my village and got a pdf ;- " (145) Wimax 2 Mega Max"

I looked, but my département has nothing, so I'm none the wiser!
Old Feb 20th 2011, 8:32 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Scots in Treignac

I have not used it, But they have spent an unreasonable amount of money on running high speed fibre through our department and putting in Wimax towers. If your choice is Dial Up or Wimax then go with the latter But if you already have Broadband it's probably not worth shifting. Check on http://www.ariase.com/ to see if there is another provider through the Wimax network as it is usually the Conseil General that pay for the networks to be installed and open them up to any of the providers but not Orange.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 3:18 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

I have had wimax for a couple of years, supplied by Idyle. Numeo don't have a good name in respect of customer service, so if there's an alternative, consider that.

My wimax delivers a fairly rock solid 2 Mbs down, and 512 Kbs up. there were problems with connectivity on and off in the early days - once there was no signal for a seven day stretch, but it's generally OK now, with only brief downtime occasionally.

Having been on dial up, then dial-up/satellite hybrid, this is a dream. Satellite is a pain, anyway, because of the "Fair Use Policy" which restricts your bandwidth, but wimax is unlimted, and cheaper.

Chris
Old Feb 21st 2011, 5:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Anyone faced with a choice between Wimax and Satellite should check that the Satellite service they are considering supports VoIP services such as Skype.

Without specific technology to compensate for it the up/down propagation delays will make VoIP unusable.
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:03 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

I can confirm that Skype works fine (including video) with wimax...

Chris
Old Feb 21st 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

As it should, my warning was about satellite services
Old Feb 21st 2011, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: North Kessock, Ross-shire Scotland and Treignac France
Scots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to allScots in Treignac is a name known to all

Can you give me an idea of costs ?
Old Feb 22nd 2011, 8:55 am
Correze, The Limousin

There's an initial set-up amount - I can't remember how much I paid - 150 Euros, perhaps? After that there's a bi-monthly payment of around 50 Euros (so it works around 25 Euros, or less, per month) for wimax.

Chris