Reload this Page >

will we won't we buy in brittany

Wikiposts

will we won't we buy in brittany

Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:21 am
Just Joined

carol24 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: will we won't we buy in brittany

we are pretty much fearless when it comes to DIY, but we are getting older and wiser (that's debatable ) and my attitude is, if not now, when ? We are both from England originally and have to say that unlike Americans the English can be a be of a naysayer nation ... Here I have learned and had to to get on with it, My motto is ... where there's a will .. get out of MY way, its worked well for us so far ...I'm hoping with my Irish Anglo upbringing and my adopted American lifestyle will help me conquer most things ... here's hoping
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:27 am
Just Joined

As for the weather in Brittany I live on the east coast ... freezing /blizzards in the winter, hot humid summers ... and I grew up just outside Manchester rain rain ,more rain ,so come on throw it all at me after all I will be on holiday so who cares about the weather. SMILE
Old Mar 24th 2013, 2:29 am
Just Joined

anyone know about the mayenne area we are open to looking there too
as property seems to be a bit cheaper
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carol24
Hi wendybee
we are going to use the house as a holiday home. We don't have to make money on it (but it would be nice) we want to leave it to the kids when we pop our clogs. We do need a fixer upper, as we don't want to be in debt .... that wouldn't be much of a holiday for us if we had to be worried about paying for it. Our plan (hahaha) is to buy now and fix up over a few yrs ready for us to enjoy when we retire .We are both diyers to the enth degree
we have great enthusiasm and really not to much scares us in way of diy so wish us luck, we are coming to france soon to check out some places
This is pretty much what we have done. We bought five years ago (in Calvados) and have done most of the needed renos during the last several summers.

The "bones" of the house were good so nothing ridiculously difficult has been required. Unlike you we intend to retire in France rather than commute across the Atlantic (we live in Toronto). On the finance side, we simply arranged a line of credit secured against about 20-25% of the equity in our Canadian house and bought the place here outright. Perhaps this is something you could consider too?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 4:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
This is pretty much what we have done. We bought five years ago (in Calvados) and have done most of the needed renos during the last several summers.

The "bones" of the house were good so nothing ridiculously difficult has been required. Unlike you we intend to retire in France rather than commute across the Atlantic (we live in Toronto). On the finance side, we simply arranged a line of credit secured against about 20-25% of the equity in our Canadian house and bought the place here outright. Perhaps this is something you could consider too?
Hi Novocastrian
we did just that , line of credit plus small savings but we still want a BARGAIN ... who knows we may retire there its an open book at the moment ... and we still have to find a place and things look like they are coming down in price so fingers crossed
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:28 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Novocastrian
we did just that , line of credit plus small savings but we still want a BARGAIN ... who knows we may retire there its an open book at the moment ... and we still have to find a place and things look like they are coming down in price so fingers crossed
Happy house hunting! We are lucky enough to have family here and one of my wife's cousin noticed that the house we finally bought was on the market and sent us the details. When we came back to Calvados for our annual summer holidays in 2007 we sort of, err, fell in love with the place (even though it was a tip at the time). I've often said that she spends more time deciding on a pair of shoes than she did on this house. No regrets at all though.

I agree that prices are decreasing still around here at least. Go for it!

Last edited by Novocastrian; Mar 24th 2013 at 5:30 am.
Old Mar 27th 2013, 4:29 am
BE Enthusiast

victorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond reputevictorian67 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: will we won't we buy in brittany

I am French and I cannot encourage you strongly enough but to rent first and see if you feel that the place will be right for you as a place that you only visited while on Holiday can be so incredibly different when you live there

The French real estate market is very unstable for the moment with an increasing number of real estate agencies closing down and an expected 20 000 jobs lost this year in the sector

Banks are "walking on eggs" as us French say when it comes to granting even small loans and the sellers are holding on to their houses refusing to drop the prices in fear of unhappy tomorrows, so I would suggest you study very carefully the situation and not jump in as you may live to regret it.

After all, you deserve a happy move but a carefully prepared one
Old May 19th 2013, 3:38 am
loving life

abbytuttut will become famous soon enoughabbytuttut will become famous soon enough

As for the weather in Brittany I live on the east coast ... freezing /blizzards in the winter, hot humid summers ... and I grew up just outside Manchester rain rain ,more rain ,so come on throw it all at me after all I will be on holiday so who cares about the weather. SMILE

Hi Carol - from one manc to another - the weather and the landscape here (Huelgoat) is very similar to the peak district, just not as grey and although it rains a lot, the rain doesn't hang around for weeks on end its beautiful!!!
We live just outside Huelgoat, we bought our house 18 months ago and its coming along nicely, hard work, materials and the cost of a lot of items are more expensive but daily living is mostly on par with the uk now and I love it!!!
inbox me if you want any advice, dont worry I won't try to sell you anything lol
I've got nothing to sell!