Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Will the Maire of the village help me?

Wikiposts

Will the Maire of the village help me?

Old Aug 19th 2015, 12:57 am
Just Joined

LadyinDistress is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Will the Maire of the village help me?

I was resident in a Languedoc village for 8 years. I'm 66. Earlier this year my covertly abusive partner abandoned me and left me isolated with no transport, no telephone, no internet access ( he took the neufbox) and no money as he had emptied our joint account. He returned daily to harass and threaten me. I was afraid. When he made a financial offer to buy out my share of the property I agreed. My son came to help and paid for a hire van to remove some of my belongings. I have been in the UK without a home of my own since April. My ex moved straight back into the house we jointly own and a few weeks later the other woman moved in as well. He has withdrawn the financial offer he made to me and says he is ready to go to court over payment of my share. I appointed a legal advisor who tells me this could take at least two years. In the meantime, I'm moving from place to place, staying with family and friends. I cannot claim UK housing benefits as I'm a property owner, although I can no longer live there.
Could I return to the village and ask the mayor for assistance? It's awkward as the other woman is on his team.
I'm driving myself crazy trying to think of a solution here. Has anybody any suggestions, other than murder?
Old Aug 19th 2015, 1:25 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Will the Maire of the village help me?

Oh dear. It seems to a little late in the day to be asking for advice. Moving out of the property was probably the worst thing you could have done. I'm not sure where you can go from here other than to see a very good divorce avocat. Unpalatable as it may be, moving back in is probably your best bet, do it when the house is empty, change the locks, have your food delivered and never leave.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:20 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyinDistress
I was resident in a Languedoc village for 8 years. I'm 66. Earlier this year my covertly abusive partner abandoned me and left me isolated with no transport, no telephone, no internet access ( he took the neufbox) and no money as he had emptied our joint account. He returned daily to harass and threaten me. I was afraid. When he made a financial offer to buy out my share of the property I agreed. My son came to help and paid for a hire van to remove some of my belongings. I have been in the UK without a home of my own since April. My ex moved straight back into the house we jointly own and a few weeks later the other woman moved in as well. He has withdrawn the financial offer he made to me and says he is ready to go to court over payment of my share. I appointed a legal advisor who tells me this could take at least two years. In the meantime, I'm moving from place to place, staying with family and friends. I cannot claim UK housing benefits as I'm a property owner, although I can no longer live there.
Could I return to the village and ask the mayor for assistance? It's awkward as the other woman is on his team.
I'm driving myself crazy trying to think of a solution here. Has anybody any suggestions, other than murder?
Sorry to hear this.
What IVV says is true. If you want your share of the value of the property, you would do best to return here and consult an Avocat (not necessarily a divorce lawyer if you werent married) and even the Notaire who dealt with the purchase. If you weren't legally bound, there must be some legalese in the Deed concerning unrelated joint-owners. Legally your share of the joint property is still in your name, so be sure to take your copy of the Acte de Propriété with you. Your son, as your heir, would also be a wronged party and could support you. But be prepared for a long Court procedure if a nudge from the Avocat doesn't persuade your ex to act honestly.
Unfortunately Mayors aren't competent (in the legal sense) to assist you and in this case you should avoid him. You need an Avocat.
Good luck!
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:32 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

What is unclear is: do you want to move back to this house and kick him out? Or just your money and live in the UK? Or remain in France whatever happens?

The mayor won't be able to help you but I think you should contact an Assistante sociale or a Conciliateur de justice. I could be wrong but they are both free, so you can always contact them and see what they say.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 2:40 am
Just Joined

LadyinDistress is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for your responses. It wasn't safe for me to stay there alone. I don't think you quite understand what I was dealing with. New locks on the door wouldn't have stopped him.
I'm meeting with an avocat when the courts reopen after the end of summer. I'll just have to wait and see what they suggest.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I have no idea if they were any good, but I believe there was a group or organisation of "women alone in france"
All I can find is an old blog now, but there may be some links you can pick up on there.
https://waifs2010.wordpress.com/2010...is-waifs-2010/
Very sorry for you

All best wishes
Old Aug 19th 2015, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Really sorry to hear of your predicament.

Check out some of the tel. numbers from these links. ASAP!!
Conséquences | Elle's Imagine'nt

Conséquences | Elle's Imagine'nt

SOS Femmes Accueil - Contacts - N� t�l�phones nationaux
Old Aug 19th 2015, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LadyinDistress
I am too very sorry to hear of your situation. People like your abusive ex-partner need some muscle to stand up to them. This will be frowned upon by some I’m sure but is there someone ‘heavy’ that could accompany to your house that won’t stand any nonsense, this is normally the only law these people understand. Alternatively, it may be difficult to arrange but perhaps a gendarme could accompany to your house to gain access but do take a friend with you that can stay a few days. Also take a mobile phone to call for help if needed.
I sincerely wish you well.
Old Aug 19th 2015, 11:12 am
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

Very sorry for you. This may help:

Ordonnance de protection du juge - Procédure

You need to see an assistante sociale ASAP. Just ask your council they will give you the right number.

Take care.
Old Aug 20th 2015, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

Are you on Facebook?@ If so search for 'LIFT - Ladies In France Together' where you might find some practical advice since there's hundreds of women there who may have experience, or know of what to do. I doubt the mayor can help but it sounds like you need a good lawyer and, since you remain part-owner of the house and with a legal right to live there, perhaps some advice from the gendarmerie if you do return to the house ... what to do in the case of emergency, how quick they will respond to a woman threatened by an abusive partner, etc. Good luck.
Old Aug 21st 2015, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

snoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant futuresnoopycat has a brilliant future

Feel so sorry for you.

Facebook also has a 'Ladies in Languedoc' group, maybe worth a look.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Forget the Maire.

Were you & your ex-partner married? Civil Union? Conjoints de fait? That's important & has a bearing on how to approach recovering your share of the property/possible support payments.

Do you have a copy of your property deeds? Are you named as 50 (or whatever)% owner?

I cannot claim UK housing benefits as I'm a property owner, although I can no longer live there.
This may not necessarily be true. And there may be other benefits you might be entitled to. Look here:
Benefits and entitlements| Age UK
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:34 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
Were you & your ex-partner married? Civil Union? Conjoints de fait? That's important & has a bearing on how to approach recovering your share of the property/possible support payments.

Do you have a copy of your property deeds? Are you named as 50 (or whatever)% owner?
I brought this up in #3, but the OP didn't reply.
She should consult an Avocat ASAP, why wait until the Courts reopen? He/she would have more time to prepare her dossier....
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

audio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond reputeaudio has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
I brought this up in #3, but the OP didn't reply.
She should consult an Avocat ASAP, why wait until the Courts reopen? He/she would have more time to prepare her dossier....
From her post's,I think the OP is still in the UK and to afford an avocat maybe beyond her means.
Old Aug 23rd 2015, 11:17 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by audio
From her post's,I think the OP is still in the UK and to afford an avocat maybe beyond her means.
The Assistante Sociale of her former Mairie or a nearby one if the Commune is too small to employ one, can point her in the direction of a pro bono Avocat if funds are low.
But she must return to France to deal with the problem if she hasn't already done so.
There are unanswered questions and she hasn't posted recently....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.