British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Wifi in France with no Phone line (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/wifi-france-no-phone-line-909358/)

pieman123 Feb 17th 2018 11:48 am

Wifi in France with no Phone line

Hi All, new on here so treat me with care LOL... Got a holiday home in the country in France, want to get wifi but I don't have a phone line and the nearest phone pole is about 500mtrs away across someone elses land, is there any packages out there that work on sat alight etc. ?

cyrian Feb 17th 2018 12:29 pm

Re: Wifi in France with no Phone line

Originally Posted by pieman123 (Post 12444209)
Hi All, new on here so treat me with care LOL... Got a holiday home in the country in France, want to get wifi but I don't have a phone line and the nearest phone pole is about 500mtrs away across someone elses land, is there any packages out there that work on sat alight etc. ?

Hi Welcome to the forum.
France can be difficult for good internet connection - very hit and miss.
How about 4G? Is there good mobile reception?
Suggest that you do a forum search "search this forum" using satellite as a keyword.
The search function is just above the "views" header top right on the main France page.

EuroTrash Feb 17th 2018 3:02 pm

As Cyrian says, look into mobile internet, 4G if you have it but if not it will still work.
Satellite is an option but I suspect you would find it a waste of money each month for a holiday home, unless you're there a lot..

pieman123 Feb 17th 2018 5:13 pm

Thanks for your reply's, We rent the property out in the summer, and more and more people are asking about wifi. Mobile reception is ok, so sounds like 4G maybe the way forward. Will do a satellite search too

TinaBee Feb 17th 2018 9:14 pm

You can use this website to see what internet services are available at your address. You may be able to get satellite or Wimax. Satellite internet can be tricky as there are often monthly limits - and it can be expensive.

pieman123 Feb 18th 2018 7:59 am

Hi TinaBee, yes I saw one 4G package with Bouygues 30 euros month for 800GB don't know anything about it really, but don't want to get into the third week and its run out. I know I only use 2GB month on my phone, but that's just on facebook lol, if I get a family there watching films on the internet, they might romp through it?

Chris'nJulie Feb 18th 2018 8:15 am

I've used wimax here for many years. Generally, it is reliable and quite fast. If you are within 20 Km of a transmitter, with line of sight, you should be OK. Numeo are one provider - you can get them to test the possibilties. Wimax has its hiccups, occasionally, so I also have a Nordnet satellite system as back-up. Combined, an expensive way of accessing the internet, but with no other means available, yet, better than nothing.

pieman123 Feb 18th 2018 11:36 am

Hi Chris 'N Julie, You haven't tried 4G then or heard anything about that ?

TinaBee Feb 18th 2018 11:59 am

This coverage map may help you find out whether 4G is available in your area. We don't have 4G where we are, (rural Normandy) but can sometimes get 3G.

Chris'nJulie Feb 18th 2018 12:29 pm

Where I live, there is no 4G signal, however if I go to local towns, there is - I can use it on my mobile phone. So for guaranteed internet connection at home, I rely on wimax or satellite.

graham.miln Feb 18th 2018 1:06 pm

If you do have 4G coverage, then consider using an inexpensive box like a TP-Link TL-MR3420, combined with a USB mobile stick, to provide WiFi and a few ethernet sockets.

Our part of France has 4G coverage and we used a mobile connection for Internet for a couple of months. We were with free.fr for the connection and they offer an unlimited package for 20 euros a month.

EuroTrash Feb 18th 2018 1:31 pm

I use a basic TP Link mifi gizmo in the motorhome, and at home as a backup. I rarely find 4G anywhere but it works a treat as long as there's a half decent signal. I think you can connect up to 5 devices to it.
I have also stayed in a holiday cottage where wifi was via a payg mifi, with the data topped up when we arrived and instructions on how to top up at our own expense if we'd used all the "included in the rent" data and wanted more, which suited us as all we used it for was tourist info and emails and there was plenty for that, it didn't run out.

pieman123 Feb 19th 2018 8:19 am

Hummm, lots of options then...