Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Whipping cream?

Whipping cream?

Old Aug 31st 2012, 11:45 pm
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whipping cream?

Originally Posted by kazzo
Just had a great evening with our french friends and neighbours - whipped cream all round!! Well on top of lovely fresh raspberry trifle.
Thanks for all the advice - it does take a long time to whip though!!
Good to hear it kazzo.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 5:56 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Just had a great evening with our french friends and neighbours - whipped cream all round!! Well on top of lovely fresh raspberry trifle.
Thanks for all the advice - it does take a long time to whip though!!
Hi, as a matter of interest, did you use jelly for the trifle? All the French people I've tried it on (mainly in-laws) asked what was in it and then asked for tiny portions, no second helpings thank you... French OH warned me not to make English trifle to French people again!
Old Sep 1st 2012, 7:48 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

cjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond reputecjm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, as a matter of interest, did you use jelly for the trifle? All the French people I've tried it on (mainly in-laws) asked what was in it and then asked for tiny portions, no second helpings thank you... French OH warned me not to make English trifle to French people again!
Slightly off topic dmu, but we gave a Christmas lunch for about a dozen French neighbours a year or so back and they had a real problem getting their heads round cranberry with the chicken (we couldn't find a turkey). General reaction was why would you eat confiture with poulet? But, it was a great time nevertheless.
Old Sep 1st 2012, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
OH makes trifle for french guests and seems to go down well.
She gets jelly from Monoprix.
It must be the sherry
Old Sep 1st 2012, 9:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
It must be the sherry
Or lack of it!
Old Sep 2nd 2012, 12:23 pm
Spouse of Resident Alien

White-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud ofWhite-ishRose has much to be proud of

Can anyone tell me if there is a cream available in France that can be whipped for piping, filling cream mille feuilles and for making things like pavlovas and trifles... If so what sort/make is it, please?

Thanks!
it doesn't exist, however, if you look at the fat content matiere grasse on the label of creme fluide, the higher the percentage the more likely it is to whip. It doesn't whip to a firm cream, but may stay whipped long enough to cover things with - I wouldn't recommend trying to fill anything weight-bearing, though!

I bought a cream maker (1950s bakelite from Ebay) and made cream that stayed whipped. It's hard work, but at least you get the right result. You can of course, if you need lots, buy a separator and run whole milk though it to give you whatever percentage of fat in the milk you desire. Otherwise it is adding powder to make the nasty sweet chantilly...
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 6:56 am
Just Joined

ddarlow is an unknown quantity at this point

I had believed that creme entiere was whipping creme and creme professionelle was the equivalent of double cream. However, yesterday I whipped creme entiere and half of it went like cottage cheese, whilst the other half remained liquid. Have I got it the wrong way round?
Old Sep 3rd 2012, 4:16 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ddarlow
I had believed that creme entiere was whipping creme and creme professionelle was the equivalent of double cream. However, yesterday I whipped creme entiere and half of it went like cottage cheese, whilst the other half remained liquid. Have I got it the wrong way round?
You made butter, Overwhipped.

I found this online dont know where to buy it off the shelf.

http://www.cuisineaddict.com/achat-a...35-uht-618.htm

But would prefer a fresh as in non UHT version..
Old Sep 6th 2012, 12:20 am
cjm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ddarlow
Cottage cheese on top and liquid at the bottom or liquid on top and cottage cheese at the bottom?
Old Sep 6th 2012, 1:11 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cjm
Cottage cheese on top and liquid at the bottom or liquid on top and cottage cheese at the bottom?
In my very limited experience the cottage cheese is associated with the bottom.
Old Sep 6th 2012, 3:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

My first post.

Glad it worked out - quite amazing how well trifle goes down with French neighbours, isn't it? Sans jelly of course

The nearest to Brit double I find is the thicker creme fraiche d'Isigny which is 40% matiere grasse (sorry for lack of accents , my computer is playing up)
When you start to whisk it it goes quite liquid but thickens again quite quickly and pipes well.

Last edited by grannybunz; Sep 6th 2012 at 3:34 pm. Reason: Hands quicker than brain!
Old Sep 6th 2012, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

kazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nice

I made trifle without jelly - soaked the raspberries in Framboise and then poured over boudoir biscuits/sponges. Whisked up the custard so it was really light as well. The cream could have been thicker but it was OK and held soft peaks long enough to look good. Had my French neighbour who produces professional kitchen equipment and has small cookery school asking all about it, so it must have been OK!

(Sorry about the delay in responding. After said night with neighbours I had to pack up and return to UK to go back to work after the summer leaving husband and dog in France... not all that happy about it...)
Old Sep 14th 2012, 10:51 am
Just Joined

Elly123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Re: Whipping cream?

Hi Kazzo, l might make your day with this so are you ready...... l have looked and tried out various creams to find whipping cream, well hear it is : bought from SuperU in a bottle called Créme Fraiche Fluide and it has to have Fabrique En Bretagne at the bottom of the picture with a church on it. At the very bottom it says Idéale pour La Cuisine, la pàtisserie et la chantilly It took me 8 years to find it. Hope you find it, Elly123
Old Sep 16th 2012, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

kazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nicekazzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Elly123
Hi Kazzo, l might make your day with this so are you ready...... l have looked and tried out various creams to find whipping cream, well hear it is : bought from SuperU in a bottle called Créme Fraiche Fluide and it has to have Fabrique En Bretagne at the bottom of the picture with a church on it. At the very bottom it says Idéale pour La Cuisine, la pàtisserie et la chantilly It took me 8 years to find it. Hope you find it, Elly123
That is brilliant, thank you!! Got a Super U about 6km from us. Will be off to try and find some with Fabrique En Bretagne on it next time I need it! (Well, will probably make an excuse to need some soon, but sadly now in the Uk for another 4 weeks!)