Reload this Page >

Where to watch french movies

Where to watch french movies

Old Apr 28th 2019, 1:20 pm
Forum Regular

Magukat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Where to watch french movies

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi, can't help on the 1) and 3) fronts, but I've got French Satellite TV ("Canal", ex TPS)..
Thank you. I'm a bit unclear how Canal/Canal VOD /Canal+ Cinema works.
I can go to https://www.mycanal.fr/cinema .
It's Canal VOD. Here I I can buy films (for 12.99)or rent (for 4.99) (For example: https://www.mycanal.fr/cinema/le-grand-bain-le-grand-bain/h/10445994_40099 )
This is perfect but a touch expensive.

So hoping that subscription can make it a bit cheaper I'm looking into that option. Webpage takes me to https://boutique.canal.fr/recevoir-canal/orange . So my provider is Orange I'm checking the same on my TV menu. Here under the "Les chaines Canal" I get .... various Canal+ only subscriptions(i.e not "Canal", but Canal+ )
Among these options the only relevant is Canal+Cinema, that you say is not really worth the money.

So I'm a bit wondering if possible for me to get just that "Cinema" option with Canal that you have or it's available via the satellite TV only
Old Apr 28th 2019, 1:27 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magukat
Thank you. Yes, my fav channel here too and France 3 has a lot of good documentaries
Unfortunately programms&movies there are catch-up on demand so if you don't watch if within a week or so you miss it.
(a bit like with BBC - the episodes of the documentaries are available for the limited time only)

It's an off-top , but maybe you know some subscription service that allows to access them any time later on ?

www.ocs.fr has a fair bit on it at 9.99 a month even Game of Thrones in VOST, first month is free at the mo all completely legal as it's part of Orange SA. Theoretically if you signed up tomorrow you could watch all of season 8 of Game of Thrones for free because they have the first two episodes on catch up third will be available tomorrow and then there are only 3 episodes left in season 8 other American stuff and plenty of French TV Films and Documentaries.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Both actually. Learning French (thus better if the film is in french + fr (or english) subtitles) whilst watching some entertaining movie with an interesting plot
Thanks
Watching programs or films in French is good for improving pronunciation but depending on your level of french you will tend to either follow the audio or read the subtitles.
The two are not usually in sync.
We have digital tv delivered by internet to our tv and we can select the audio of English language programs/films in either French or English audio. Similarly with subtitles.
Therefore you can watch English language films / series dubbed into French with French subtitles and sometimes with English.
Perhaps this would widen your available choice.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 2:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I'm a bit unclear how Canal/Canal VOD /Canal+ Cinema works.
I can go to https://www.mycanal.fr/cinema .
It's Canal VOD. Here I I can buy films (for 12.99)or rent (for 4.99) (For example: https://www.mycanal.fr/cinema/le-grand-bain-le-grand-bain/h/10445994_40099 )
This is perfect but a touch expensive.

So hoping that subscription can make it a bit cheaper I'm looking into that option. Webpage takes me to https://boutique.canal.fr/recevoir-canal/orange . So my provider is Orange I'm checking the same on my TV menu. Here under the "Les chaines Canal" I get .... various Canal+ only subscriptions(i.e not "Canal", but Canal+ )
Among these options the only relevant is Canal+Cinema, that you say is not really worth the money.

So I'm a bit wondering if possible for me to get just that "Cinema" option with Canal that you have or it's available via the satellite TV only
Well, if you're mainly interested in recent French films, it's not.
As for the rest, I'm a complete Dummy where these things are concerrned. We started with TPS (now CANAL) and had a dish set up on the roof and paid extra for the Cinema (and Music) options. Independently of that, we later changed our internet server, moving to Orange and deciding that it was too complicated to take out an internet/TV package since we already had so many channels to choose from. All this goes back a long way, and I'm of an age....
I imagine that the six "Ciné+" options are only available via satellite. A quick check shows that the most recent French films on those channels this coming week are dated 2017. As a matter of interest, CANAL also includes four OCS channels which I believe were added free of charge. This week only 3 French films are being shown at prime-time, the most recent being 1968 and even that one was filmed in English....
I'm not being much help, except to consult the TV magazine for recent French films, without much success!
Old Apr 30th 2019, 7:07 pm
Banned

Magmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Where to watch french movies

Magukat you are welcome. I dont know any subscription service. but there are many French films available free on Youtube . Or maybe try Dailymotion? it is a French free video tube site, Competitor to you tube.
Old May 23rd 2019, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Annetje
I don't know how youtube works, but they seem to have French films
Movies on YouTube are not exactly the cream of the crop in my experience, I'm sure there'll be apps allowing to see better movies even for free, there sure are in English. I will be looking myself when I have some time, it'll require some trial and error, some installing and uninstalling...
Shame that torrents are basically dead, I could download all sorts there.

Last edited by ameliapond; May 23rd 2019 at 9:15 am.
Old May 23rd 2019, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Movies on YouTube are not exactly the cream of the crop in my experience, I'm sure there'll be apps allowing to see better movies even for free, there sure are in English. I will be looking myself when I have some time, it'll require some trial and error, some installing and uninstalling...
Shame that torrents are basically dead, I could download all sorts there.
Au contraire. I must disagree here. Some of the best French movies and especially telefilms (which I often prefer) I've found on YTube, sometimes by chance or often having seen it on tv first and wishing to watch a second time later on.
i) For starters try: Desire Landru. Search YTube for 'Landru'. The 2005 TF1 version, not the earlier Chabrol version.
Landru was one of the earliest known French serial killers. Brilliant performance by Patrick Timsit. Not to be missed!

ii) Rouge Sang (2014) A little slow at first but good scenario. Most enjoyable.
iii) La main a Couper (1974) Michel Serrault superb as always.
And there are many more.
We've never used a torrent and don't have satelite tv. Have no need to as there's more than enough on the free French channels and YTube/DailyMotion - plus plenty remaining on a HD recorded from those video sharing websites to keep us fully engaged vision-wise. ClipGrab works a treat on those and similar sites.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; May 23rd 2019 at 6:49 pm.
Old May 23rd 2019, 9:07 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Au contraire. I must disagree here. Some of the best French movies and especially telefilms (which I often prefer) I've found on YTube, sometimes by chance or often having seen it on tv first and wishing to watch a second time later on.
i) For starters try: Desire Landru. Search YTube for 'Landru'. The 2005 TF1 version, not the earlier Chabrol version.
Landru was one of the earliest known French serial killers. Brilliant performance by Patrick Timsit. Not to be missed!

And there are many more.
We've never used a torrent and don't have satelite tv. Have no need to as there's more than enough on the free French channels and YTube/DailyMotion - plus plenty remaining on a HD recorded from those video sharing websites to keep us fully engaged vision-wise. ClipGrab works a treat on those and similar sites.
+1

Would also add that - according to my cats - torrents are still very much alive...
Old May 27th 2019, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

ameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to allameliapond is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe

And there are many more.

Ok, I see your point, I'm not saying all YouTube movies are lame, you can certainly find gems in there, what I meant is that the choice is quite limited, for instance I love some particular actors like Auteuil Cassel Lhermitte Cluzet Clavier.. and the list goes on, I won't be able to find all films these actors played in on YouTube, and rightly so.
On demand telly has forcefully prevented users access to these movies "freely", for instance up until a few years ago I could've downloaded "qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au bon dieu" or a TV series like "engrenages" with no effort whatsoever thanks to torrents or similar programs (I know that wasn't necessarily the right course of action from an ethical point of view but that's another matter), now that is a bit more complicated.
Old May 27th 2019, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ameliapond
Ok, I see your point, I'm not saying all YouTube movies are lame, you can certainly find gems in there, what I meant is that the choice is quite limited, for instance I love some particular actors like Auteuil Cassel Lhermitte Cluzet Clavier.. and the list goes on, I won't be able to find all films these actors played in on YouTube, and rightly so.
On demand telly has forcefully prevented users access to these movies "freely", for instance up until a few years ago I could've downloaded "qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au bon dieu" or a TV series like "engrenages" with no effort whatsoever thanks to torrents or similar programs (I know that wasn't necessarily the right course of action from an ethical point of view but that's another matter), now that is a bit more complicated.
I agree with you.
Incidently the 2019 film you mention 'Qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au bon dieu' - as I'm sure you know - was the follow-up to the even more brilliant, 'Qu'est-ce qu'on a fait au bon dieu', released in 2014. We went to see both at the local cinema on release.
I advise anyone who wishes to see one of the best ever French comedies, to watch either.
Fwiw I started to watch 'Bienvenue chez les Ch'tis' last night on TF1. Switched over after 10mins as I thought it was a load of rubbish, although the French rate it as one of the best of their comedy films ever. Instead I watched the European Elections debate here. Reflecting on my choice of preferred watching last night, some might suggest I get measured for a straight-jacket. And they may be right too!
Old May 30th 2019, 3:05 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

here's a list of relatively recent films available on netflix
https://frenchflicks.com/read-49/ite...S2AfSV7BYZHPeo
Old May 31st 2019, 2:24 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
here's a list of relatively recent films available on netflix
https://frenchflicks.com/read-49/ite...S2AfSV7BYZHPeo
That list won't be the same in France, Netflix is regional and the French region version is pretty appalling

The first five on the list are not available in France on Netflix

only a hand full of them are available

Last edited by Chatter Static; May 31st 2019 at 2:37 pm.
Old May 31st 2019, 9:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
That list won't be the same in France, Netflix is regional and the French region version is pretty appalling

The first five on the list are not available in France on Netflix

only a hand full of them are available
From the apparent list of French films available, I note that La Mante is listed. Watched it on French tv here. Brilliant imho. Carol Bouquet is cold and fearsome in the role. Check out the trailer on YTube.

Old Jun 17th 2019, 6:57 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
If you haven't watched it then I highly suggest "Jean de Florette" followed by "Manon des Sources" .
Originally Posted by BuckinghamshireBoy
+1
Well in that case it's compulsory to watch La gloire de mon père and Le château de ma mère too.
Old Jun 17th 2019, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Well in that case it's compulsory to watch La gloire de mon père and Le château de ma mère too.
Another Pagnol tale, in a similar vein as the above and very enjoyable is La Fille du Puisatier/The Well Digger's Daughter. Well worth watching for Pagnol and especially Daniel Auteuil fans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.