Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Where to watch french movies

Where to watch french movies

Old Apr 25th 2019, 10:32 pm
Forum Regular

Magukat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Where to watch french movies

We spend too much time trying to find any good & relatively recent(not interested in old french classics) french films to watch on Amazon & Netflix. So I'm looking for the alternative solutions that probably we are simply not aware of.
Can anyonle advise please:
1) Is there any streaming service in France to watch French movies ?
2) I can see on my Orange box that it's possible to subscribe to Canal+. Is it worth doing? Do they have only there own programms & films ?
3) Are there any TV channels/film production companies/film institute websites that provide access to their film DBs & allow to watch those films online.

Thank you
Old Apr 26th 2019, 7:49 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where to watch french movies

Originally Posted by Magukat
We spend too much time trying to find any good & relatively recent(not interested in old french classics) french films to watch on Amazon & Netflix. So I'm looking for the alternative solutions that probably we are simply not aware of.
2) I can see on my Orange box that it's possible to subscribe to Canal+. Is it worth doing? Do they have only there own programms & films ?
3) Are there any TV channels/film production companies/film institute websites that provide access to their film DBs & allow to watch those films online.

Thank you
Hi, can't help on the 1) and 3) fronts, but I've got French Satellite TV ("Canal", ex TPS), and Canal+ often urges me to subscribe, offering me a couple of months' free viewing. I've always declined, all the more so as I've taken out the "Cinema" option with Canal. Those channels don't show recent films, but if I couldn't wait to see a recent French film, I'd go to the cinéma.... From reading the TV Magazine, the proportion of recent French films proposed by Canal+ is very small and I wouldn't think it worthwhile for you to pay extra each month for so little.... Google "Programmes Canal+" to have an idea....
HTH
Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:23 am
M.O.V.E.D. !

Annetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond reputeAnnetje has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know how youtube works, but they seem to have French films.

https://www.senscritique.com/liste/F..._ou_VO/1252854

Last edited by Annetje; Apr 26th 2019 at 10:25 am.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 10:40 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
If you haven't watched it then I highly suggest "Jean de Florette" followed by "Manon des Sources" if you have ever lived in a French village and know how they love a proverbial game of risk with the land around them and the bickering that goes on with it it makes a entertaining watch at an easy pace.
Old Apr 26th 2019, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
You didn't state whether you have a preference for French films in VO or sub-titled.
I'm surprised that you state, "not interested in old french classics." Can we assume that you have seen all the old French classics (which would surprise me). If simply no interest whatesoever, imho you are doing yourself an injustice as there are so many French classics that I could mention that are a 'must-see'.
Many are not available on YTube due to copywrite issues, but with a bit of research one can find several that are. Have you seen the 50's film Les Diaboliques? One of Clouzot's most famous works, constantly under tension and psychologically violent, with superb actors. As a rule of thumb, any rating on IMDb over 7/10 is well worth watching, and Les Diaboliques is rated over 8/10, an exceptional score. And it's one that is still available on YTube.
I've been an ardent film fan for many years (including French), and if you wish I could mention some of my more recent favourites over the last 15 years or so.

Old Apr 26th 2019, 5:12 pm
Gloves off

BuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond reputeBuckinghamshireBoy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
If you haven't watched it then I highly suggest "Jean de Florette" followed by "Manon des Sources" if you have ever lived in a French village and know how they love a proverbial game of risk with the land around them and the bickering that goes on with it it makes a entertaining watch at an easy pace.
+1
Old Apr 26th 2019, 8:08 pm
Banned

Magmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond reputeMagmax has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Where to watch french movies

Good evening . For French Films i would recomend Arte channel.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 6:50 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Magmax

The only French film on Arte at prime-time this last week was "A Bout de Souffle", going back to the 60s, and a quick check on this week's programmes shows one French tele-film....
Old Apr 27th 2019, 7:39 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Can I ask what your logic is for wanting to watch french films?
Is it to improve your french or to improve your cultural knowledge of french life or other?
Old Apr 27th 2019, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

graham.miln is an unknown quantity at this point

If you were in Australia – or could connect to the Internet via Australia – you might want to look at SBS's French Connections collection. The national broadcaster offers streaming, modern, French languages movies on-demand.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Just clicking on the link that graham supplied, and fwiw I note that there are two of my 'Top-10' French films listed. Namely Delicatessen, and The City of Lost Children. For those who love really dark comedy, these are a 'must'. Also enjoyed 'La Vie en Rose'. Can't say the same for 'Victoria' which we unfortunately paid to see at our local cinema.
Old Apr 27th 2019, 6:06 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Just clicking on the link that graham supplied, and fwiw I note that there are two of my 'Top-10' French films listed. Namely Delicatessen, and The City of Lost Children. For those who love really dark comedy, these are a 'must'. Also enjoyed 'La Vie en Rose'. Can't say the same for 'Victoria' which we unfortunately paid to see at our local cinema.
Le Chef made me chuckle and Amélie is one of my favourite films
Old Apr 28th 2019, 12:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cyrian
Hi
Can I ask what your logic is for wanting to watch french films?
Is it to improve your french or to improve your cultural knowledge of french life or other?
Both actually. Learning French (thus better if the film is in french + fr (or english) subtitles) whilst watching some entertaining movie with an interesting plot

Last edited by Magukat; Apr 28th 2019 at 12:53 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Magmax

Thank you. Yes, my fav channel here too and France 3 has a lot of good documentaries
Unfortunately programms&movies there are catch-up on demand so if you don't watch if within a week or so you miss it.
(a bit like with BBC - the episodes of the documentaries are available for the limited time only)

It's an off-top , but maybe you know some subscription service that allows to access them any time later on ?

Last edited by Magukat; Apr 28th 2019 at 12:58 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2019, 12:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Annetje
I don't know how youtube works, but they seem to have French films.

https://www.senscritique.com/liste/F..._ou_VO/1252854
Thank you! Will give it a try

Last edited by Magukat; Apr 28th 2019 at 12:57 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.