Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Where to go?????

Wikiposts

Where to go?????

Old Jan 23rd 2011, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice
Default Re: Where to go?????

Thanks for thoughts. I'll put Morocco on the list (which seems to be getting bigger ). I had thought of Morocco but have seen some very negative comments about it in places so would need to go and check it out, more so perhaps than France, the vast majority of which I'd probably generally be quite happy with, and having been there so much. I'd still rent there before buying though but it will take more perhaps for some countries to either make it to, or stay on, the list of possibilities than others.

I speak French already quite well and would like to take it to a fluent level. If I went to Spain or Italy, same there. Not so sure about Malay mind!!
Old Jan 29th 2011, 10:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Atilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really niceAtilla is just really nice

Well, bit further forward now. Malaysia is topping the list. Panama has also come onto the list. Malaysia though is a lot closer to other places (Thailand, China, Phillipines, even Australia). Panama is kind of stuck on it's own so it's more of an 'eggs in one basket' place I think.

France is still on the list, Carcassone/Languedoc are favourite, maybe Biarritz, even La Rochelle but too far north I think. I can't seem to find anywhere that immediately appeals about Spain at the moment and what with the eceonomic situation, water and land-grab issues in some place, halted developments and ghost towns that some tourist estates have become I'm just not sure it's a viable contender. I don't just want beer and sun and equally I'm not ready yet for rural tranquility.

I'll get there.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, as to central America, I would go for Costa Rica not Panama for multiple reasons, stability is one, climate is another, but top of my list would be the wildlife cos I'm a nature freak and Costa Rica is a Mecca for that!

As to the other, I'll reply to your PM as soon as I can get my wits together
in the next day or two!!
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

For a variety of reasons the attraction for Panama and that region is diminishing somewhat. Seems the more I read the less I like or find to like. OK it's easy to get a visa, the weather is OK, cost of living can be reasonable and there are some incentives tax/costs wise for retirees. While those things are all attractive considerations I'm not sure what Panama has to offer in terms of "big wins" over other places that may have those things also, even if to a lesser degree, but maybe more to offer on top, in some cases considerably more!!

Other places have easy visas (some perhaps better thought out), the EU (accept we don't need a visa but a visa is just a piece of paper entitling you to reside, in my case, for however long so it is a factor), lots of places have good weather, cost of living in other places I am considering is the same or cheaper and the tax/savings incentives are not a big pull, just a consideration or a bonus.

What concerns me in particular is that outside of Panama City (PC) it seems quite to very run down. The look of a lot of the properties doesn't appeal, or their surroundings in many cases, some of the neighbourhoods are very dodgy and again, aside from PC there seems to be a distinct lack of variety and little to do do. In places, and I know this can apply anywhere, it just seems downright dangerous to live and go out at certain times, with talks of people having gated properties, communities, sophisticated alarms and dogs inside and out that really creates an image of a life that I don't really want. There is also a high degree of corruption, con-artists and poor and antiquated services in some cases, which gets worse, rapidly, as you move outside PC.

I am sure everywhere has similar problems to some degree, even France (Cote d' Azur) and Malaysia, but it's the overall extent of this in Panama that's a concern, alongside the niggling question of just what HAS the place got to offer?? Indeed for some people on the forum the attraction seems to be going to live there to escape the US, live a bit more cheaply, and maybe attract a Latino girl who in al likelihood will (and there's nothing wrong with this) see you as secure prospect and/or a ticket out of the life she has there, an issue which is common to many Asian countries also. While I don't knock it it's not really what I want and I'm not sure Panama offers much else. I just wonder also how viable and attractive as a long term living prospect it will be. The other central American countries seem the same.

I am starting to thing that if the the Latino aspect of the country appeals I may as well go live in Spain which seems more developed, more stable (despite its current economic problems), with a better infrastructure and less hostile, mostly.

Last edited by Atilla; Jan 30th 2011 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

I would still have a look at Costa Rica - it's very special and never a "Noriega" in sight!!
http://www.costarica.com/
http://www.tourism.co.cr/
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/...es/1166587.stm
For decades Costa Rica has stood out for its stability and has benefited from the most developed welfare system in the region.

It has no standing army, and its citizens enjoy one of the highest life expectancy levels in the Western hemisphere and better living standards than their war-torn neighbours.
https://www.cia.gov/library/publicat...k/geos/cs.html
http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2019.htm

I have no vested interest in the country, but if I were younger and not established here, I would have go for it!!!

However, if Spain, then I would choose La Gomera (Canaries).
http://www.vista-lanzarote.com/la-gomera/index.html
Portugal, I would choose the town of Setùbal (Atlantic coast about 50-60km south south east of Lisbon)
http://www.travel-in-portugal.com/Setubal/

Confusing....
Old Jan 30th 2011, 11:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

I'll have a look. One thing I am sure though is that like I say, I'm not that ready for peace, tranquility or any kind of backwater or remote location or lifestyle yet. Wherever I go it will need some kind of buzz. OK I'd not want to be living smack in the middle of Panama City or Kuala Lumpur maybe but I'm thinking places like Penang, Antibes, Biarritz etc.

I'm not sure about the Canaries or small islands for long terms prospects. Too boxed in for me. There's loads of places to go if all I want is a bit more sun, relaxing all day and either eating at home or some quiet restaurant or bar at night. I'm just not that ready to live the life I might want to lead when I'm 70 yet.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

It's interesting to ask and to get feedback from other more experienced globetrotters, but you really need to visit many places to get a real flavour for their suitability.

I spent some time in Beirut a short time after the long period of hostilities, and prior to departure was dreading it, and opted to leave OH and young child behind - at least for the first 6 months I was there. Notwithstanding the chaotic state of the country, it was a marvellous experience, helped in the main by the wonderful treatment I was given everywhere, great warm-hearted people, and in the workplace their amazing ability to make what seemed liked miracles given the very limited resources/supplies of specialized material. It was a sad day when my work contract came to an end. Yes I could certainly have stayed there for several years.

Similarly a few years later based in Asia, I was tasked with making frequent liaison visits to the national airline in Vietnam. I didn't relish the idea of this either. Until the first visit. Once having learned the secret of how to cross the roads as a pedestrian, it became a magical place. Local people were wary but cautiously pleasant, food was great, and I loved the job - a different type of challenge indeed, and regular follow-up trips were made with pleasure. As a place to live? Why not! I would willingly have accepted a long term contract, but like many places, I guess it wouldn't be suitable for all.

So the point is, try as many places as possible to see if it suits you before before settling.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 4:42 am
BE Enthusiast

wetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nicewetwang is just really nice

I have a pal who was a BA captain. been everywhere, done everything and had the same dilemma. When the world is your oyster where do you live? For 3 years he lived on a yacht, staying in Majorca/Tenerife/Caribbean/USA followed by homes in Ireland, then Cyprus then in Oz then in Panama. Now he is looking at France as health care becomes an issue.
He is such a non-standard guy that he will never be satisfied as there are too many options and the Garden of Eden just doesn't exist. Everywhere has merits and de-merits so now he just wanders around the globe pitching his tent here and there until the grass appears greener elsewhere.
As Dorothy said 'There's no place like home' but you need to know where home is. Your heart has to know, not your head.
Old Jan 31st 2011, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Atilla
I'm thinking places like Penang, Antibes, Biarritz etc.
I lived there 9 years while working in Sophia Antipolis hitech park (Amadeus). Not cheap but plenty going on and easy to get away from it too for a quiet day. Antibes is definitely the best town between Cannes and Nice with a real atmosphere.