Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Where in France?

Where in France?

Old Mar 25th 2016, 5:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Where in France?

Originally Posted by Chatter Static
Everyone is entitle to a change of direction every now and again and if everyone lived a well planned and thought out life the place would be as dull as an old farts home.

Maybe you should move to Bournemouth Novo.

Purple rinse anyone?
Thank you CS, I needed cheering up and you just made me laugh
Old Mar 26th 2016, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Just to get back to the OP Andre de Vries and Micheal Streeter's book 'Buying a house in France' does dedicate about 100 pages to discussing the pros and cons of France Regions (the boundaries of which have subsequently been withdrawn). It does give a good idea of house prices, the economy, the weather, cuisine and culture. A good starting point perhaps?
Old Mar 27th 2016, 3:49 pm
Just Joined

butch1961 is an unknown quantity at this point

A Happy Easter to all of you.

To those of you who have offered support and guidance, you have my heartfelt thanks.

To those who offer negativity; I have already wasted enough words on you.
Old Mar 27th 2016, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

TextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond reputeTextualHealing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TextualHealing
Just to get back to the OP Andre de Vries and Micheal Streeter's book 'Buying a house in France' does dedicate about 100 pages to discussing the pros and cons of France Regions (the boundaries of which have subsequently been withdrawn). It does give a good idea of house prices, the economy, the weather, cuisine and culture. A good starting point perhaps?
Sorry 'withdrawn' should have read 'redrawn'. Damned predictive texting. And a happy Easter.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:11 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by butch1961

To those who offer negativity; I have already wasted enough words on you.
Good evening, to you all.

Never been to UK, but for some reason it appeals to me and my wife. I am aware that numerous trips are in the offing.

So far, we have narrowed it down to Cornwall, Northumberland, Essex or Pembrokeshire. I have read about the weather becoming unsettled the further north you go; but really need some guidance on areas within these.

All help gratefully accepted.

Novo & Millie.

<It's not negativity, just bewilderment>
Old Mar 28th 2016, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

Novo & Millie

Are you practising idiots, or do you both hold full certification.

I joined this forum for help and guidance.

If you cannot be constructive, why don't you crawl back in your hole!
Old Mar 28th 2016, 2:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Novo & Millie

Are you practising idiots, or do you both hold full certification.

I joined this forum for help and guidance.

If you cannot be constructive, why don't you crawl back in your hole!
We took lessons from a Master.

Here's some constructive advice: Sit down with your wife over cup of tea or a glass of wine and discuss what it is about the idea of living in France that sounds attractive to you both. Then post a question asking for suggestion as to where in France these things might be found. The choice of UK locations in our post was intended to illustrate something that you, living in the UK, would immediately recognise, namely that Essex has as much in common with Cornwall as Brittany has with Charente.
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

Novo & Ellie

Let's start again; shall we?

This is want we want:

Character Property
Minimum of 2 bedrooms
Garden – not too big
Central heating
Double glazing
Semi-rural
Not too warm in the summer
Not too cold in the winter
Renovated – little of nothing to do on it
Not too far from an airport
Not too closer to main town/city

Cheers
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novo & Ellie

Let's start again; shall we?

This is want we want:

Character Property
Minimum of 2 bedrooms
Garden – not too big
Central heating
Double glazing
Semi-rural
Not too warm in the summer
Not too cold in the winter
Renovated – little of nothing to do on it
Not too far from an airport
Not too closer to main town/city

Cheers
OK. Budget?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 3:54 pm
Just Joined

£200000
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:04 pm
Born again atheist

£200000
We have our French house in Calvados so that's where I first looked.

Long�re 3 pi�ces 100 m� Ventes immobili�res Calvados - leboncoin.fr

How about that one?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Cheers for this.

We had been told that we might Normandie, too cold?
Old Mar 28th 2016, 8:53 pm
Born again atheist

Cheers for this.

We had been told that we might Normandie, too cold?
Warmer than Brittany and less windy. We're usually in France in the spring and summer but we spent one winter there in 2013. Basically the winters are the same as in Bournemouth (although I haven't spent a winter in Bournemouth yet).
Old Mar 29th 2016, 6:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Normandy in winter is nowhere near as cold as the south of France in winter, and nowhere near as hot in summer. As a very general rule, the further south you go the more extreme the weather becomes. Most of the 'weather incidents' - hurricanes, tornados, floods etc - give Normandy a miss

Is it a fact that Normandy is warmer than Brittany? My impression is that it's not. Less windy, yes, although as it happens we had gale force winds here in Normandy yesterday.

But if what you're mostly interested is in sunshine and heat, then head south, young man.

You don't mention many requirements for your surroundings. Do you have interests that you will pursue, do you want golf or horse riding or hiking or theatres or a good library or a strong music tradition? Or a spa or a gym or even a shopping centre? Don't make the mistake that some make, and end up with the house of your dreams but as soon as you step outside your garden gate you feel you're in alien territory and there's nothing you can relate to. There's only so much pleasure you can get out of 'being', you also have to think about 'doing'. Otherwise your castle turns into a prison. Seen it happen so many times.

Happy hunting
Old Mar 29th 2016, 12:59 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by EuroTrash

Is it a fact that Normandy is warmer than Brittany?
I'd guess that the difference in the means is smaller than the standard deviation in either or both.

In other words they're much the same.

I prefer Normandy because I like cows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.