Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

where is the best place to buy household appliances!

where is the best place to buy household appliances!

Old Feb 25th 2009, 5:58 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default where is the best place to buy household appliances!

Been to boulanger ... its ok but not a HUGE selection of stuff ... we are moving in to our house in a week as the tenants are leaving early!! Now I need to buy literally everything; kettle, toaster, microwave etc etc
Is there anywhere else to look? Want stuff that lasts but also doesn't cost the earth!
TIA
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:16 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: where is the best place to buy household appliances!

Originally Posted by beigey
Been to boulanger ... its ok but not a HUGE selection of stuff ... we are moving in to our house in a week as the tenants are leaving early!! Now I need to buy literally everything; kettle, toaster, microwave etc etc
Is there anywhere else to look? Want stuff that lasts but also doesn't cost the earth!
TIA
Try Destockage yellow fronted shop they sell end of line stuff, Products with obscure dents in and what have you. A lot cheaper than the main outlets. A lot of the stuff is new. Failing that we have used Carrefour or Planet Saturn.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks ka ora
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:11 pm

Le Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond reputeLe Chant has a reputation beyond repute

Try But! Conforama, even SuperU for white goods! Leclerc & Intermarché too - all decent quality and last well.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

blackduff is an unknown quantity at this point

In my area there's a store called " D'Class". This was the cheapest place to buy fridges, etc.. This was quite a bit cheaper. I'm not sure if this is elsewhere but in dept. 66 it's a good place to buy.

There's another place which sells fridges, etc. but their name is something like MTA or MDA. This is a national company and they have good prices too.

Blackduff
Old Feb 26th 2009, 4:20 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

Darty is the French part of Currys/Dixons. I doubt they are the "best" in terms of price but they seem to give reasonable 2 year warranties on many products and we found buying online and delivery simple, prompt and reliable. We bought a fridge, freezer, dishwasher, microwave and a kettle in one hit.
Old Feb 26th 2009, 6:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

I'd probably buy electrical goods from Darty... I'm not sure anywhere builds stuff to last these days. I mentioned on another thread that I have a vacuum that's 15 years old, freezer that's over 30. I also have a food mixer from the 1970's, and the plates and knifes/forks are all from this era. These days manufacturers deliberately build in a short life-expentancy.
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:38 am

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of

My French teacher told me that her father's fridge is 85 years old and still going strong!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 10:39 am

Or maybe that was her father. My language skills let me down sometimes!
Old Feb 27th 2009, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

Here's the company I mentioned ~ MDA. Here's the web site.

http://www.mda-electromenager.com/

Other posters have mentioned Darty and I am quite a fan of this company. They have a very good service apres-vente and that's worth something. There's another tip about Darty is that when you find a bargain somewhere and it's cheaper than the same product costs more at Darty, give them a ring. Normally they're going to call the place which is selling the product cheaper and then Darty will sell at the same price. I have bought several large items through this method. Then I get the SAV from Darty for the same price at Brand X's selling.

Good Shopping ~ don't remember that on-line has lots of places to buy large appliances. There's a national guarantee program and it works fine. I buy computer parts from this company but they're selling big appliances now too. This is www.rueducommerce.com. If this doesn't work, try this www.rueducommerce.fr. I have bought products from this company since before 2000.

Blackduff
Old Mar 4th 2009, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

jenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nicejenny and charlie is just really nice

Bonjour Blackduff,

I had a look at MDA - do they only give you a price when you phone them ? I am looking for a white/silvery induction hob, all the bells and whistles but there are no prices on the website any ideas ?

Many thanks,

Jenny and Charlie.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman
My French teacher told me that her father's fridge is 85 years old and still going strong!
Did they have fridges 85 years ago? I thought that was the day of the pantry, but I'm not expert in fridge history. I remember hearing about a 70 year old lightbulb that finally gave up the ghost a few years ago now. You'd think if they could invent things that lasted then, a few people might do the same now - it would be worth spending more if you knew you would not need to keep replacing everything, not to mention better on the environment.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Just did some research so I do stand corrected:

"Marcel Audiffren of France championed the idea of a refrigerating machine for cooling and preserving foods at home - The first unit was sold in 1911. Audiffren machines were expensive, selling for about $1,000 — about twice as much as the cost of an automobile at that time."

Maybe they had an original Marcel Audiffren! Might be worth a fair bit now.
Old Mar 4th 2009, 1:55 pm

I'll ask her. Wouldn't put it past her family - old money, properties everywhere. She teaches French as she likes it and "refuses to be a bourgeois capitalist pig like the rest of the family". (willing to sponge off them whilst living as a hippy in India for years and lets them "force" her to live in one of the family apartments in an upper class suburb of Paris though, obviously).
Old Mar 4th 2009, 2:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jenny and charlie
Bonjour Blackduff,

I had a look at MDA - do they only give you a price when you phone them ? I am looking for a white/silvery induction hob, all the bells and whistles but there are no prices on the website any ideas ?

Many thanks,

Jenny and Charlie.
I found the MDA store by accident and I hadn't checked with their national web site. I did say that MDA was the cheapest price for the Bosch fridge until I found another shop even cheaper.

I was very impressed with the MDA store. The people were very knowledgeable and had me ready to pay the cash but I found another store even cheaper (almost a 100 euros cheaper). The final store was called "D'Class" but I don't think that it is national. Here's a web site for this store.
http://www.dclassmenager.fr/
D'Class had normal prices and met the MDA prices. Then when I was ready to leave, they showed me their method of showing the "Real" price. It was about 10%~20% cheaper than the marked prices.

If you are near MDA or D'Class, I think it would be your worth to visit their shop.

We have another store near Perpignan called "Jerome". This place has a large amount of appliances which had small dents or scratches. They appear to have low prices but the particular Bosh which I wanted wasn't cheaper than the Comforama price. I had visited this store various times and they're never cheap.

Good with a nice hob with a good price.

Blackduff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.