Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What will happen if the UK leave the EU?

What will happen if the UK leave the EU?

Old Dec 1st 2014, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What will happen if the UK leave the EU?

Whatever happens things won't roll back to the way they were pre-EU.
Membership of the EU would be replaced by country to country treaties the same as happens for Tax Treaties not just in the EU but worldwide.
Scotland is generally in favour of remaining in the EU and an exit vote in England would almost certainly trigger another referendum regarding Scottish Independence.
It would be a total nightmare and would take several years to unravel EU membership and replace current rights with new rules.
I can't see Spain wanting to lose it's UK expats but perhaps other know better.
Old Dec 1st 2014, 2:18 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure you're right Cyrian and if UKIP were to win I think they would quickly realise that the immigration experienced by the UK has contributed to rather than detracted from the UK's recovery (although I still find it difficult to accept that hardly anyone on the London tube speaks English) and that therefore sending them home is cutting of one's own nose.

Speaking of Spain, they have the opposite problem with over half a million expats leaving last year and probably quite a few Spanish too so I doubt they will want this to get any worse
Old Dec 1st 2014, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

The Spanish situation is really strange. When we went back to Galicia in the summer, we were told that all the youngsters are leaving - for Germany, UK USA. And certainly a fair few of the expats we knew there have returned home. Several Spanish friends told us that the population had dropped by a million!
But unemployment is still 26 percent and youth unemployment 56. You do have to ask yourself how long any country can endure that.