British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   What will happen if the UK leave the EU? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/what-will-happen-if-uk-leave-eu-848052/)

Debra186 Dec 1st 2014 9:14 am

What will happen if the UK leave the EU?

People are getting concerned about this now. It's been discussed in various forums and some say it won't make much difference, especially for those of us who have permanent residence, because the measures that were in place before the UK joined the EU will still be in place, but others are clearly worried. There is even a facebook campaign for the position of EU expats to be heard https://www.facebook.com/groups/736433246438906/ Some of us can't even vote because of the fifteen year rule, which seems a bit unfair when this issue could affect us more than most.

What do you think? Do we need to worry? Should we all join this group and their campaign?

Fredbargate Dec 1st 2014 9:40 am

Re: What will happen if the UK leave the EU?

I will celebrate

bigglesworth Dec 1st 2014 10:14 am

It won't happen.
I have believed for some years that somewhere in Brussels there is a secret building.
In that building is a small secret room.
In that room are 28 safes.
In those safes are files on every prominent politician in the EU.
With photographs.

Fredbargate Dec 1st 2014 10:47 am

Originally Posted by bigglesworth (Post 11488950)
It won't happen.
I have believed for some years that somewhere in Brussels there is a secret building.
With photographs.

You should inform WikiLeaks ;)

EuroTrash Dec 1st 2014 11:12 am

Originally Posted by bigglesworth (Post 11488950)
It won't happen.
With photographs.

We're all safe then :lol:

EMR Dec 1st 2014 11:15 am

Originally Posted by Fredbargate (Post 11488928)
I will celebrate

You mean when Spain can do anything it likes with the border and you will have no one to complain to and who can do anything about it.

InVinoVeritas Dec 1st 2014 11:26 am

I'm sure France would secretly like the UK to leave the EU so they can kick out all the British expats, the majority of whom are retired and probably not contributing a great deal to the French economy on the understanding that the UK then kicks out the 400,000 French people living in London who are, in the main, high income earners working for French companies and paying no tax at all in France.

EuroTrash Dec 1st 2014 11:37 am

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11489000)
on the understanding that the UK then kicks out the 400,000 French people living in London who are, in the main, high income earners working for French companies and paying no tax at all in France.

And who I am sure are all far too busy getting on with their lives to worry about something that is unlikely to happen, and which if it does happen will have to be played by ear because how can anybody possibly know what will happen. I really see absolutely doodle squat zero zilch point in worrying about this, unless you happen to like worrying and can't find anything more immediate.

InVinoVeritas Dec 1st 2014 12:05 pm

But worrying is what we expats do best - must be the insecurity of leaving the national womb.

EuroTrash Dec 1st 2014 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas (Post 11489019)
But worrying is what we expats do best - must be the insecurity of leaving the national womb.

... without cutting the national umbilical cord.

Novocastrian Dec 1st 2014 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 11489025)
... without cutting the national umbilical cord.

Ooh, excellent!

InVinoVeritas Dec 1st 2014 1:09 pm

:thumb: Very philosophical for a Monday.

bigglesworth Dec 1st 2014 1:36 pm

The thread could of course also be changed around to "What will happen if the EU leaves the UK".

They certainly seem to want the UK to leave and I would have thought Junkers Grand Plan might well be the final straw

EuroTrash Dec 1st 2014 1:37 pm

IVV, did you look like John Wayne last week? I don't remember noticing...

Chatter Static Dec 1st 2014 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by EuroTrash (Post 11489004)
And who I am sure are all far too busy getting on with their lives to worry about something that is unlikely to happen, and which if it does happen will have to be played by ear because how can anybody possibly know what will happen. I really see absolutely doodle squat zero zilch point in worrying about this, unless you happen to like worrying and can't find anything more immediate.

To be fair the French residents in the UK and the British ones in France are a tiny pebble in the pond when it comes to nationwide revenue but a large portion of the French folk in London are creative professionals that wouldn't get a look'in in France and the UK allows you to diversify within your career more and have complete change of direction.