Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What rhymes with bankers?

Wikiposts

What rhymes with bankers?

Old Jan 24th 2013, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of
Default What rhymes with bankers?

Bonjour les braves!

I know we've had our rantarama on here about French banks, but this may be new and I would really appreciate some help.

My pension is payable from Sweden, where as some of you know I worked for 40 years. The pension is payable from 4 different sources, 2 from the State and 2 privately. The 2 from the State consist of a basic amount and a supplementary amount. The first is quite decent in size, the second is tiny. On both of these transactions I have been charged 22.90 Euros, hence a total of over 45 Euros a month or 540 Euros a year. The charges are called 'Commission d'emission' (9.00 Euros) and 'Commission de change' (13.90 Euros). Now this seems unreasonable to the point of stand and deliver. My question is whether all banks do the same (my bank is BNP) or is it worth shopping around and threatening BNP that we will change bank if they don't lower their charges. We have quite a large sum of money on deposit with them, but I don't know whether that carries any clout here in France.
Merci d'avance and in case I missed anybody 'Bonne Année et bonne santé!
Blackie
Old Jan 24th 2013, 11:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

loy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to allloy loy is a name known to all
Default Re: What rhymes with bankers?

I'm not quite sure I understand so forgive me.

But I transfer money into my French bank account from the UK every month. I pay nothing in France but I pay £27 in the UK. This is because I use a company not my bank to transfer the money to get a better rate.
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

here in Spain, I get my UK pension paid into my Spanish bank account in Euros by DWP. They get a very good rate (better than I can get) and there are no charges from them nor from my bank (it is a pensioners "no commissions" account)

last time I wanted to transfer money from Halifax (who are part of LTSB) they wanted £27 to make the transaction

hth
Old Jan 25th 2013, 12:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Peabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud ofPeabrain has much to be proud of

Hi,
When my father died I had the money that I'd inherited transferred to France through La Banque Postale. This was 9 years ago so things may have changed since, but when I looked at what my own bank, the Crédit Lyonnais, would have charged, and then at the Banque Postale's charges, the difference was enormous; the Banque Postale being dirt cheap. "There was no photo" as the French say. So try them.
PB
Old Jan 26th 2013, 6:58 am
Just Joined

cab47 is an unknown quantity at this point

french *ankers charge around 40 euro p/a fee for having a debit card
i was approached at le poste by this guy trying to sell their accounts / insurance etc and i said this was my main issue with my bank , so he said yes but card is insured if lost , which dosnt make any sense when its chip and pin to withdraw - cant see them paying out if someone steals my card and happens to guess my pin........................
RIPOFF
Old Jan 26th 2013, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

dankers
Old Jan 26th 2013, 9:35 am
PDN
Just Joined

PDN is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Blackladder
Bonjour les braves!

On both of these transactions I have been charged 22.90 Euros, hence a total of over 45 Euros a month or 540 Euros a year. The charges are called 'Commission d'emission' (9.00 Euros) and 'Commission de change' (13.90 Euros). Now this seems unreasonable to the point of stand and deliver.
Such fees are I think normal. UK banks charge around £25 to send to EU banks Could be worse, I have one client who pays me from outside the EU and the charges are around £25 at both the sending and receiving banks
Old Jan 27th 2013, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

White Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond reputeWhite Trash has a reputation beyond repute

I made a sillly mistake one day when making a purchase on ebay Germany. I didn't notice that the seller did not accept payment by PayPal. He sent me instead his bank details to make a direct transfer. The item I bought was under €5 but the cheapest method of transfer from the dreaded CA was about €25! Needless to say, this event and many others prompted my move to La Banque Postale. I have a card, easy access to cash into and out of my account anywhere in France, and can do my own bank to bank transfers FREE online. All this for onlh €30 a year in charges. One third of the fee with CA which was less functional.