Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What to offer on house purchase

What to offer on house purchase

Old Sep 5th 2021, 3:26 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What to offer on house purchase

I know that if you really like a place then you will happily pay the asking price…..
Thats what some people say but I prefer not to pay more than I need to!
we’re in France now and have found a place we like and will likely make an offer. All those “Place in the sun” shows I’ve seen I’ve NEVER noted somebody paying the asking price - sometimes as much as 20% below.
Obviously we need to be mindful we don’t insult the vendor but I’d be grateful if anyone has some advice from recent experience. Obviously the estate agents are giving us the usual “ it’s a very good price and we expect it to sell soon” spiel. Apologies if I upset anyone but estate agents do have a vested interest so their honesty is understandably suspect at the best of times, as would anyone’s in that circumstance!
thanks in advance.
Old Sep 5th 2021, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What to offer on house purchase

Quite honestly without seeing the house and the price and the likelihood of it selling, it is a how long is a piece of string question. Every situation is different, I think you have to play it by ear.
If you want to try and knock 20 per cent off, do that. You'll never know unless you try. I think the agent is bound to pass on any offer he receives.
The vendor may say No but they're unlikely to say P155 off and don't even think of coming back with a better offer.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Buying a house in France is all about price per square metre.
Have a look at this site as a guide to local sale prices.
French house prices
I use the map option to zoom into the area I want.
If you open any individual sold price then you find the square metre involved.
The prices vary a lot but it will give you an idea for the local prices.
It is possible that kitchen fittings and appliances are purchased separately and the actual sale price shown excludes these items.
HTH
Old Sep 7th 2021, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyrian
It is possible that kitchen fittings and appliances are purchased separately and the actual sale price shown excludes these items.
HTH
Actually I thought that was the norm.
Anecdotally, people take not only the light bulbs but even the light fittings and leave the wires dangling for the new owner to put their own light fittings up. Or maybe you can't do that any more.
On the other hand, the house I bought had previously been used as a holiday home and the seller didn't have any use for the furniture, and I had to insist on everything being cleared out. He would have far preferred to throw in everything including the bed, to save him the bother.
But yes, you need to clarify what's included.
Old Sep 7th 2021, 3:37 pm
Forum Regular

bazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond reputebazzer70 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Eurotrash and cyrian- I went to the site and found the actual plot with the house on but none of the houses in that area come up with a number and clicking on them doesn’t produce anything.
When I get home I should have more luck than on my iPad mini!
Old Sep 8th 2021, 7:53 am
Just Joined

Lesmullons is an unknown quantity at this point

Our experience of buying was about 5 years ago but there was a noticeable difference at the approach of French and English agents and of their sellers. It seemed to me that the local immobilier had a more fact based approach to arriving at an asking price whereas, in some instances, properties on the large UK centric sites were priced more artistically than scientifically. Also the vendors position is critical and for obvious reasons an empty property owned by. British person seemed much more negotiable. We settled on a property through a French agent and armed with evidence and quotes for work needed negotiated a price agreeable to both parties.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 10:50 am
Just Joined

mnick is an unknown quantity at this point

There was a nice detached house for sale in central France that took over four years to sell. The asking price started at about €110,000. It had dropped to about €77000 when I saw it. It was a lovely big house with quarter acre garden but I got cold feet due to the amount and price of work that was needed ( probable roof work, new electrics E15000, connect to mains etc). I also decided to concentrate on Normandie.

About a year later I saw it advertised for €45000 and according to DVF it sold in 2019 for €34000 (that did not include the agents fees). Someone got a bargain. I expect others are aware of similar situations. I suppose it all depends on the house, the location and the likely interest from locals as opposed to expats.

My experience is that the local Notaires in their second role as estate agents are often the most realistic when it comes to pricing.
Old Sep 9th 2021, 11:17 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mnick
There was a nice detached house for sale in central France that took over four years to sell. The asking price started at about €110,000. It had dropped to about €77000 when I saw it. It was a lovely big house with quarter acre garden but I got cold feet due to the amount and price of work that was needed ( probable roof work, new electrics E15000, connect to mains etc). I also decided to concentrate on Normandie.

About a year later I saw it advertised for €45000 and according to DVF it sold in 2019 for €34000 (that did not include the agents fees). Someone got a bargain. I expect others are aware of similar situations. I suppose it all depends on the house, the location and the likely interest from locals as opposed to expats.

My experience is that the local Notaires in their second role as estate agents are often the most realistic when it comes to pricing.