Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What is Needed Now to Enter France from UK?

What is Needed Now to Enter France from UK?

Old May 19th 2021, 6:57 am
Just Joined

Sunny_Days is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What is Needed Now to Enter France from UK?

We are returning to France next week through the tunnel for a stay of less than 90 days to attend to some urgent matters at our second home.

Having scoured the various websites, my understanding is that the French border authorities will require to see:
- proof of a negative PCR test in the preceding 72 hours
- a completed health declaration form
But nothing else, i.e. in our circumstances, documentation about Covid vaccinations; an Attetstation d'Acceuil or anything else are not needed.

Have I got that right?

As far as the UK authorities are concerned when leaving the UK, the positions is less clear. They advise against travel to an amber country like France, but do not prohibit it. Eurotunnel say you must have proof that your trip is essential and not vacational, but I don't see that on government websites.

Does anyone know what the requirements, if any, really are?

Last edited by Sunny_Days; May 19th 2021 at 7:00 am. Reason: Correction
Old May 19th 2021, 7:43 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Needed Now to Enter France from UK?

Originally Posted by Sunny_Days
We are returning to France next week through the tunnel for a stay of less than 90 days to attend to some urgent matters at our second home.

Having scoured the various websites, my understanding is that the French border authorities will require to see:
- proof of a negative PCR test in the preceding 72 hours
- a completed health declaration form
But nothing else, i.e. in our circumstances, documentation about Covid vaccinations; an Attetstation d'Acceuil or anything else are not needed.

Have I got that right?

As far as the UK authorities are concerned when leaving the UK, the positions is less clear. They advise against travel to an amber country like France, but do not prohibit it. Eurotunnel say you must have proof that your trip is essential and not vacational, but I don't see that on government websites.

Does anyone know what the requirements, if any, really are?

I hardly dare reply to your query since the unresolved mystery about the Attestation d'Accueil in another thread , but the following recent, but undated, official site
https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actual...e-voyage#from8
gives the Attestation de Déplacement which might be worth filling in, even though UK citizens seem to be exempt. The operative word "impérieux" is open to interpretation and you might have to explain the essential nature of your travel at the Border, with justification that you own the property.
Best to carry signed copies of both Attestations, to be on the safe side...

The good news is that, as of today, the curfew starts at 21h00 and restaurant/café terraces are now open, together with non-essential shops, cinemas, theatres, museums, etc.... But we're not completely out of confinement yet....
Old May 19th 2021, 9:34 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

You need to check if your EHIC/GHIC cards are valid and/or your travel insurance is valid if travel to France is contra indicated by the foreign office.
Old May 19th 2021, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure if you still have to sign a déclaration sur l'honneur that you'll self isolate on arrival and take a test after 7 days before ending your self isolation.
What worries me most is, what will be required when returning from France to the UK. As a minimum it'll be a few hundred quid for the rip off tests that you have to book and pay for in advance of travelling in order to be allowed in, and if France goes onto the red list while you're away, it'll be hotel quarantine at a cost of upwards of £1k per person.

By the way your list of required documents didn't mention a valid passport. Border control will likely want to see that as well
Old May 19th 2021, 1:45 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

The UK cannot stop you from leaving any longer. I would wait for the EU decision tomorrow regarding reopening their borders for information on what you need to do to enter France.
Old May 19th 2021, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

And you will need 6 months on your passport
Old May 19th 2021, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
And you will need 6 months on your passport
You will need 6 months remaining on your passport counting from the date of issue and not the expiry date.
I renewed our passports this month - it took about 10 days - because they would have expired in September ( 6 months remaining) as far a France is concerned.
Old May 20th 2021, 2:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

And do not forget that France is on the Amber list of the UK so you will have isolate at home for 10 days and take tests You will obviously need to satisfy the French immigration that your journey is necessary and it would appear that you may need to show proof of two vaccinations
Old May 20th 2021, 5:35 pm
Just Joined

notgrampa is an unknown quantity at this point

With the confusion about requirements based on the virus and its restrictions "vaguely" interpreted by governments on both sides of La Manche combined with Brexit leads me to consider that we have a total FUBAR situation !
Old May 21st 2021, 5:11 am
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by notgrampa
we have a total FUBAR situation !
Business as normal then….