Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What exchange rate to use in tax form?

What exchange rate to use in tax form?

Old Apr 12th 2016, 5:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute
Default What exchange rate to use in tax form?

Am expecting my tax return to arrive any day now and am just wondering what exchange rate to use when declaring income received in the UK in 2015 in forms 2047 and 2042.
Do you normally include a little note to the tax people to let them know what rate you've used?
Old Apr 12th 2016, 6:44 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What exchange rate to use in tax form?

Originally Posted by Helen1964
Am expecting my tax return to arrive any day now and am just wondering what exchange rate to use when declaring income received in the UK in 2015 in forms 2047 and 2042.
Do you normally include a little note to the tax people to let them know what rate you've used?
Good question!
I think it's been answered in the past, but it didn't concern me. I've only got my tiny UK Pension to declare, and last year (after I discovered that it had to be declared despite the fact that it was taxed in the UK), I wrote a letter, since it didn't need to be converted into €€.
The same letter gave details of my no-interest English bank account, and I've noticed that they haven't pre-printed this info on this year's Declaration form. I conclude that it has to be indicated every year.....
Good luck with the annual chore, but, if all goes to plan, Déclarations (of French earned income at least), should soon be a thing of the past!
Old Apr 12th 2016, 7:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
The same letter gave details of my no-interest English bank account, and I've noticed that they haven't pre-printed this info on this year's Declaration form. I conclude that it has to be indicated every year.....
:
Yes, as far as I know you have to provide a list of your foreign accounts every year.
Old Apr 12th 2016, 9:52 am
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen1964
I think you'll have to contact your centre d'impots and ask them for "le taux moyen de change 2015" for GBP. It should be 1.38 or very near.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

The only reason you need an average figure from your local impots is to see if it works in your favour, otherwise your income is what you received in Euros on the date you received it, simple really

It's not necessary to mention the exchange rate you have used and you can use whatever you can justify if challenged.
Old Apr 13th 2016, 2:46 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
The only reason you need an average figure from your local impots is to see if it works in your favour, otherwise your income is what you received in Euros on the date you received it, simple really

It's not necessary to mention the exchange rate you have used and you can use whatever you can justify if challenged.
Well, it's the way you are supposed to do it but, if you prefer, put whatever numbers you like on your declaration, the revolution is just round the corner, after all
Old Apr 13th 2016, 3:09 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

This concerns UK Pensions or other income received in a French Bank in euros, but, on rereading #1, I noticed that the OP asked about income received in the UK.
A google search as per IVV's "Taux moyen..." gives 1.3768 on 8th May 2015. Out with the calculator!!
Old Apr 13th 2016, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

You can bet if you asked at two different tax offices in two departments you wouldn't get two answers the same
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

You can bet if you asked at two different tax offices in two departments you wouldn't get two answers the same
I was just about to thank you for the "challenge" post I &E and then you ruined it.
We have had both. Used our own (actual) rates, and been told (by the Tresor and our accountants) that there is an official rate of conversion established each year and you have to use that.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

You do and it posted every year on the Fisc's website ! No problems.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grannybunz
You do and it posted every year on the Fisc's website ! No problems.
Can you tell me where exactly I can find this rate? And what it is for the 2015 declaration?
Many thanks.

I managed to find on the Banque de France website the actual rates on the 3 different days that my UK bank paid me interest in 2015 but if there is a single official rate somewhere on the Fisc site, so much the better.
Old Apr 14th 2016, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

For income received in the UK in £, you just need to convert the amount received into Euros using the relevant daily rate provided on the Banque de France website, i.e. the date the income was paid into your UK bank account.

If you prefer the average rate, I sometimes use the following message in an email to the tax office:

Messieurs

Je vous écris pour vous demander si vous avez décidé du taux de change pour l'année
fiscale 2015 de GB£ en euros.

Je vous prie d’agreer, Messieurs, mes salutations distinguees.

They normally reply pretty quickly
Old Apr 14th 2016, 9:16 pm
Loving the mountains

howiet01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I'm hijacking the thread.....apologies in advance!
We have just received the 2047 form as my wife works for a UK registered company here in France(so she is paid into her UK bank account).
She now has a french tax number(numero fiscal) so am I correct in thinking she needs to fill out the 2047 so she will stop paying tax in the UK(because of the dual taxation agreement)?

ps when I went to the tax office last year they seemed more than happy that she worked for a UK company and was living in France!
Old Apr 15th 2016, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

Nectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really niceNectarine is just really nice

According to my accountan t the official exchange rate for 2015 is 1.32. Hope this helps.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by howiet01
Maybe I'm hijacking the thread.....apologies in advance!
We have just received the 2047 form as my wife works for a UK registered company here in France(so she is paid into her UK bank account).
She now has a french tax number(numero fiscal) so am I correct in thinking she needs to fill out the 2047 so she will stop paying tax in the UK(because of the dual taxation agreement)?

ps when I went to the tax office last year they seemed more than happy that she worked for a UK company and was living in France!
She can just declare income and tax paid in the UK on her french tax return.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.