Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What do you miss most?

What do you miss most?

Old Apr 7th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you miss most?

Hi Nibbler,
No problems!!
Have a nice day and enjoy life - though today is GREY and WET round here!!
Cheers,
Roger
Old Apr 9th 2009, 4:14 pm
Just Joined

littlemissnaughty is an unknown quantity at this point

sense of humour! The French just don't have the same sense as the Brits.

I also miss going out with my female & male friends.
All the French women are fiercely jealous & won't make new female friends for fear their husband may run off with the person!! & the men are not allowed female friends! Sad I know!
Old Apr 9th 2009, 6:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littlemissnaughty
sense of humour! The French just don't have the same sense as the Brits.

I also miss going out with my female & male friends.
All the French women are fiercely jealous & won't make new female friends for fear their husband may run off with the person!! & the men are not allowed female friends! Sad I know!
I agree about the sense of humour - but it's a case of vice versa too from the other side.

For the fist part,
Over the years I've been married to a French (bretonne) wife = since 1981 and lived in France = since 1994 I've learned to appreciate French humour (except people like Raymond Devos and others who slur and gulp their words). I like the French imitators such as Thierry le Luron, Laurent Gerra and Nicolas Canteloup - and the Magreb comics like Gad Elmaleh - but I don't like the "humour" of Coluche - though his work in founding the Resto du Coeur was a huge service to the French "less fortunates".

However, true that you won't find the likes of Tommy Cooper out there, nor the old Goons and the Two Ronnies (dates me!) though you can keep Benny Hill and his sort. This is also part of "integration". One can't understand or appreciate the local humour of any country without it - in a way, it's a kind of commitment to the place which becomes your home.

For the second part
This surprises me! I don't know in which region of France you live as you have no location in your profile, but I have never seen this type of reaction in the South of France - whether in Antibes-Nice, nor in Perpignan-Carcassonne. My wife Annaïck has always had both male and female friends and colleagues - and so have I. Many of them are not acquainted with the other spouse - but neither of us has ever been jealous of the other in that respect nor any other in our 29 years of marriage. We both have total freedom to go where we want, when we want and with whom we want, have never betrayed it and would both put our hands in the fire for each other, but so far it's never been necessary, nor will it, I'm 100% sure, ever will be.

Perhaps we're exceptional in that respect, but I never had that impression.

Last edited by Roger O; Apr 9th 2009 at 6:12 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2009, 11:30 am
Just Joined

littlemissnaughty is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Roger O
I agree about the sense of humour - but it's a case of vice versa too from the other side.

For the fist part,
Over the years I've been married to a French (bretonne) wife = since 1981 and lived in France = since 1994 I've learned to appreciate French humour (except people like Raymond Devos and others who slur and gulp their words). I like the French imitators such as Thierry le Luron, Laurent Gerra and Nicolas Canteloup - and the Magreb comics like Gad Elmaleh - but I don't like the "humour" of Coluche - though his work in founding the Resto du Coeur was a huge service to the French "less fortunates".

However, true that you won't find the likes of Tommy Cooper out there, nor the old Goons and the Two Ronnies (dates me!) though you can keep Benny Hill and his sort. This is also part of "integration". One can't understand or appreciate the local humour of any country without it - in a way, it's a kind of commitment to the place which becomes your home.

For the second part
This surprises me! I don't know in which region of France you live as you have no location in your profile, but I have never seen this type of reaction in the South of France - whether in Antibes-Nice, nor in Perpignan-Carcassonne. My wife Annaïck has always had both male and female friends and colleagues - and so have I. Many of them are not acquainted with the other spouse - but neither of us has ever been jealous of the other in that respect nor any other in our 29 years of marriage. We both have total freedom to go where we want, when we want and with whom we want, have never betrayed it and would both put our hands in the fire for each other, but so far it's never been necessary, nor will it, I'm 100% sure, ever will be.

Perhaps we're exceptional in that respect, but I never had that impression.
Benny Hill is a legend in many countries in the world.

Re my 2nd comments, I think you are lucky but not the norm! I miss going out my my friends from back in the UK, male & female & in large groups as well. In Annecy as well as many places I have been here, youngsters tend to spend 24/7 in couples! I have a girl friend who spends 24/7 with her boyfirend & each time I want to see her, he has to come along to!! It is so unhealthy, what do they find to talk about! recipe for disaster! I find women just don't like other women the way they do in the UK, they are hugely insecure & jealous, & they don't care about stealing someone's husband/partner in front of them, seen in a lot here. Guess that's why I find it hard to make male friends because I see them getting told off from taking to me!
Old Apr 10th 2009, 3:17 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by littlemissnaughty
Benny Hill is a legend in many countries in the world.

Re my 2nd comments, I think you are lucky but not the norm! I miss going out my my friends from back in the UK, male & female & in large groups as well. In Annecy as well as many places I have been here, youngsters tend to spend 24/7 in couples! I have a girl friend who spends 24/7 with her boyfirend & each time I want to see her, he has to come along to!! It is so unhealthy, what do they find to talk about! recipe for disaster! I find women just don't like other women the way they do in the UK, they are hugely insecure & jealous, & they don't care about stealing someone's husband/partner in front of them, seen in a lot here. Guess that's why I find it hard to make male friends because I see them getting told off from taking to me!
Window shopping is the norm in France, I guess it's your area that has the unhealthy approach as here it quite normal just to see one of a couple
Old Apr 10th 2009, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Annecy is too near Geneva!! The Swiss are more like that than the French!
Old Apr 11th 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Sorry nibbler but I am so glad we don't have the shop til you drop mindset out here. It can be a pain trying to organise my deliveries round closing times but I like that they still do that.

I miss good old fish and chips from Jacks in Bagshot or Ma Kelly's in Emsworth and Portchester. When I'm back I fill up on them every night just to get my fill lol.