Reload this Page >

What do you do?

What do you do?

Old Aug 28th 2008, 3:16 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What do you do?

What do you do in France?

DH & I are looking to move to the South of France next summer - he is originally French but never worked in France - I am English and we have both only worked in the Middle East. We have our own business so we are looking to start something different in France ... but the question is what!

Any info you can share would be fabulous ... I am aware that I need to learn French but I am sure that will happen when I move (if not before) whether I want to or not!
Old Aug 28th 2008, 4:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you do?

Hi Beigey, nice to make your acquaintance.
If you've ran your own business before I'm sure you know the work involved. It would make a lot of sense to have a definite business plan before you make your move, and I think only you will know where your strengths lie. Certainly if you can corner a niche in the market you'll be fine. Can you not continue running the same business in France?

I never initially planned to come to France, but now I find myself here I continue to do what I did in the UK which is a mixture of website design, traditional art and photography. My client base is still largely UK and American, but I do have more French customers these days.
Old Aug 28th 2008, 5:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Collioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to beholdCollioure_Bee is a splendid one to behold

Welcome beigey. It's not easy finding work out here but if you push hard enough I am sure you can find it. I did and I am not exactly great with the language but the French seem to get a laugh out of me so that gets me by lol. I am a delivery driver for Chronopost who are a division of the UK's DPD formerly Parceline. They do work you hard but I'd rather work hard over here than the UK!
Good luck.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

themoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond reputethemoose has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there.
Worth learning a bit of the language before you start (or try to) the business. As for what to do........a hard one but cant you continue where you left off in the middle east?
Whatever you find i am sure you will have a most enjoyable time. Good luck
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

beigey is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your replies - the business we have in the middle east is pretty limited to the region and we don't love it enough to do it here even if it was possible! Will keep thinking - I have a basic foundation in french but will keep on learning! Main reasons for moving here apart from being a beautiful country is to start a family with my husband being French ... does anyone know if I should try to become a French National or is that not necessary for British Citizens with regards to social benefits (healthcare, education etc)?

Thanks for your invaluable help guys!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

It's a shame you can't migrate your business, but if your heart's not in it anyway. I would definitely think up something viable though or even put it into practice before moving here, as you wouldn't want to find yourself in the Seine without a paddle, so to speak.
I guess if you're a French national it's perhaps a little easier sorting out the necessary bits and pieces, but I'm not one, and am getting by okay (it's a slowwwwww process though! Especially trying to get that carte vitale).
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

TinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really niceTinaBee is just really nice

Originally Posted by beigey
... does anyone know if I should try to become a French National or is that not necessary for British Citizens with regards to social benefits (healthcare, education etc)?

Thanks for your invaluable help guys!
It is not necessary to become a French national. If you are a British (EU) citizen you will be entitled to the same social benefits as the French, except in the case that you don't work, in which case you will have to prove you can support yourself financially and take out private healthcare. French social benefits are based on contributions, i.e. you won't get anything until you have paid into the system. This applies to healthcare, unemployment benefit, sickness benefit, etc.

As far as I am aware, education is provided free for the children of all permanent residents.