Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

What Broadband speeds do you get

What Broadband speeds do you get

Old Nov 27th 2010, 7:28 pm

Herman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud ofHerman has much to be proud of
Default What Broadband speeds do you get

We live in Le Vesinet, urban area west of Paris. Since getting an iPad I've started to use the Internet more for stuff like YouTube streaming. However, I've discovered that my connection is too slow to be able stream. Movies keep stalling. Just did a speediest and it's appalling, upload 0.88 Mbps and download 0.28Mbps. We pay Orange €30 per month for this!! So who do you use and what speeds do you get?
Old Nov 27th 2010, 8:39 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What Broadband speeds do you get

Originally Posted by Herman
We live in Le Vesinet, urban area west of Paris. Since getting an iPad I've started to use the Internet more for stuff like YouTube streaming. However, I've discovered that my connection is too slow to be able stream. Movies keep stalling. Just did a speediest and it's appalling, upload 0.88 Mbps and download 0.28Mbps. We pay Orange €30 per month for this!! So who do you use and what speeds do you get?
For rural France our speeds are pretty good,"Touch Wood" The contention ratios in Paris are going to be horrible. Meaning actual number of users to a shared amount of bandwidth. If all the users on a dslam download something at the same time it will result in poor download speeds. Service providers when selling you the service test the Gain and Impedance and Resistance of the line and this gives the maximum achievable download upload speeds they then try and sell you that service. Knowing full well you are unlikely to ever achieve it especially so in a city. You can try complaining document your speeds, There are methods that they can use to improve your speeds.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 1:00 pm
Correze, The Limousin

Chris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond reputeChris'nJulie has a reputation beyond repute

I use wimax for my connection to the outside world - can't get ADSL proper. It's generally pretty good, but dies occasionally. Luckily it's not dependent upon a telephone line.

Download speed around 2 Mbs fairly reliably, and upload 500-600 Kbs, no limitations whatsoever, no apparent contention, either, and about 50 Euros bi-monthly.

Chris
Old Nov 29th 2010, 10:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Palaja, near Carcassonne, Department of Aude, France
Roger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond reputeRoger O has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Herman
Orange too. 8 Megamax contract of which I get about 6.

You should have an Orange personal account page in their site.
If you go there you can get a free download of their own DSL test version.
You test your line and each test is registered at Orange. You can store your results in a file - do 3 or 4 during the day - and if you have a real problem (contracual promise not fulfilled!) you can give them on their helpdesk number the dates and times of your tests so they cannot avoid having any knowledge... and can retrieve them on their own database!

I did this two years ago and got a real upgrade by diversion via another switchbox "repartiteur" as our village can be served by either one and I had been on the "weaker" version!
Old Nov 29th 2010, 12:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

G-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond reputeG-J-B has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave, good to see you stayed in Paris.
I just tried speedtest.net and get a 70mb/s download (it's fast like you wouldn't believe) and 3.8mb/s upload. I'm with DARTY with a fibre optic connection - around 35 euros with TV and free phonecalls almost anywhere in the world. I'm trying to enjoy it whilst I can, because the new house we bought isn't much better than dial-up.

Last edited by G-J-B; Nov 29th 2010 at 12:44 pm.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 4:37 pm
Just Joined

G2Paris is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there. I've also just had a go with speedtest.net and get a 30mb/s download and 1mb/s upload, which is not too bad. I'm in the centre of Paris and subscribe with Numericable, though when we started it was called Noos. We pay about 30 euros a month and also have free phone calls.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 8:18 pm
Just Joined

Ade100 will become famous soon enoughAde100 will become famous soon enough

Just done my speedtest:

Last Result:
Download Speed: 2046 kbps (255.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 818 kbps (102.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

This is with a Freebox in Antibes. Seems ok to me but not as fast I used to get in Singapore