Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Weird situation

Weird situation

Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Weird situation

Originally Posted by InVinoVeritas
I'm afraid the work culture in the UK is very different to France and a long way removed from how it was when most of us last worked there.

Have you seen the TV programme The Apprentice?
Nope never heard of it, what is it?

France is worse than the UK, here employers don't even bother to answer

At least I get answers from the british companies!

I hate the labour market in France, the bosses are so disrespectful, and even if you have the skills it's all about cronyism!
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough my impression was that French companies treat their employees far better than UK ones. Probably because French legislation gives them no choice. However I have to say that of all the companies I worked for in the UK, the one that had the best trained senior management, took its responsibilities as an employer most seriously and treated its staff best, was a French company (Total).
Old Dec 4th 2014, 7:21 pm
Hostage Negotiator

InVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond reputeInVinoVeritas has a reputation beyond repute

That's my experience too both as employee and then as employer. In France an employer is very much constrained by the employment legislation whereas in the UK he is much freer to do whatever he wants. My kids who are working in the UK dream of a 35 hour week, they regularly do 40+ hours and get no paid overtime.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:17 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
Funnily enough my impression was that French companies treat their employees far better than UK ones. Probably because French legislation gives them no choice. However I have to say that of all the companies I worked for in the UK, the one that had the best trained senior management, took its responsibilities as an employer most seriously and treated its staff best, was a French company (Total).
That's also what my english FIL always said. He'd worked for a range of organizations in both public and the private sector, but was best treated by Michelin.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

babyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond reputebabyposer has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know about working in a british company but they treat their potential staff way better.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
That's also what my english FIL always said. He'd worked for a range of organizations in both public and the private sector, but was best treated by Michelin.
Novo, if he was treated as well as you say, are you sure his boss's name wasn't Micheline?

Old Dec 5th 2014, 8:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Blackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud ofBlackladder has much to be proud of

I thought this fred was about starting our own, our very own, radio show!
(I want to be Ramblin Sid Rumpo)
Blackie
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute

Blackie,
Ah - Rambling Sid. That brings back belly-laughing memories. I still have a casette (remember those) of Kenneth Williams performing his 'folk songs'.

With apologies to BabyPoser for distabilising the thread, but this was too good to pass up.
Not only the humour, but his timing is superb!
Old Dec 5th 2014, 10:15 am
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

I think it depends on the company.
When I first joined my French owned employers some twenty five years ago, I was quite impressed with the attitude to staff. As I progressed through to the main board, I became increasingly horrified at the cavalier and cynical mind-set.
I eventually resigned when I was made aware of the VERY different accounting standards that could be legally employed to shift profits (and losses). With a consequent alteration in the ability to finance legal obligations.
That said, my son works for a large French multinational - Ludendo. The difference beween their staff management and that of the previous British owners is very positive. But he still works twice the hours of his colleagues in the French stores. Much of it unpaid. As an hourly rate for hours actually worked he is not that much over the minumum wage. And he is a junior to middle manager.
Old Dec 5th 2014, 1:57 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigglesworth
I think it depends on the company.
When I first joined my French owned employers some twenty five years ago, I was quite impressed with the attitude to staff. As I progressed through to the main board, I became increasingly horrified at the cavalier and cynical mind-set.
I eventually resigned when I was made aware of the VERY different accounting standards that could be legally employed to shift profits (and losses). With a consequent alteration in the ability to finance legal obligations.
Are you sure it wasn't a Luxemburg company?
Old Dec 5th 2014, 4:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Are you sure it wasn't a Luxemburg company?
Well there was certainly an "owe" in it.

(Sorry)
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
Blackie,
Ah - Rambling Sid. That brings back belly-laughing memories. I still have a casette (remember those) of Kenneth Williams performing his 'folk songs'.

With apologies to BabyPoser for distabilising the thread, but this was too good to pass up.
Not only the humour, but his timing is superb!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99IitWYZ0aU

No problem
Old Dec 5th 2014, 6:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ok so I got a reply today (please don't quote as I will edit later to delete this! don't want him to come accross this topic! yes, i'm a bit paranoid)

"Hi babyposer

I’m sorry about that I thought it was a bit less too – although there’s a quite a bit of duplication.

If it’s a problem, don’t worry just let me know.

Unfortunately there isn’t a budget for this as it’s a bit of legacy from an expired campaign.

Thanks

Mr Imnotanassholeinfact"
Old Dec 5th 2014, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

So what will you do now ????
Sounds to me a bit like 'I didn't bother looking at it before I sent it to you, we don't really need it done because it's been hanging around for ages and it's out of date, but since you speak French and you have nothing better to do and you want me to give you a job, it seemed a good opportunity to get something done for nothing. So I dug this old thing out.'
I've taken a dislike to Mr IMNAASHIF, can you tell?
Old Dec 5th 2014, 9:39 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Babyposer,
is this guy going to be your boss? You write at the beginning that he is a "recruiter" for the company. He's obviously not HR or he wouldn't be sending you this.

Have you actually been offered the job?

If you haven't, then I would telephone them (not email) and say that I'd be happy to do it if you're going to give me the job.

In many small companies you end up doing all kinds of things that may not be what you are hired to do, I generally think it's ok since you learn lots and get more experience.

Good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.