Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Weather in Loire Valley and Auvergne

Weather in Loire Valley and Auvergne

Old Oct 13th 2011, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

wasleys is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weather in Loire Valley and Auvergne

I trust you will excuse a somewhat off-topic thread but this seems likely to be a good place to get some advice.

My wife and I are beginning to plan a trip to the Loire Valley (around Tours) and Auvergne (Cantal) in which we will have gites and be after history, scenery, small towns/villages and a little very gentle walking.

One of the questions exercising our minds is whether to head for September 2012 or May 2013.

Average climate figures suggest there is not much to choose between those months, but is there any particular difference in the type of weather, visibility etc that the averages do not reflect?

May initially seemed more attractive (flowers, longer days) but it appears to have a series of public holidays: Labour Day, Victory Day, Ascension Day, Pentecost. Are those days marked by much upheaval in terms of heavier traffic, more tourists at sites etc?

Thanks,

Michael
Old Oct 14th 2011, 5:40 am

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Weather in Loire Valley and Auvergne

Originally Posted by wasleys
I trust you will excuse a somewhat off-topic thread but this seems likely to be a good place to get some advice.

My wife and I are beginning to plan a trip to the Loire Valley (around Tours) and Auvergne (Cantal) in which we will have gites and be after history, scenery, small towns/villages and a little very gentle walking.

One of the questions exercising our minds is whether to head for September 2012 or May 2013.

Average climate figures suggest there is not much to choose between those months, but is there any particular difference in the type of weather, visibility etc that the averages do not reflect?

May initially seemed more attractive (flowers, longer days) but it appears to have a series of public holidays: Labour Day, Victory Day, Ascension Day, Pentecost. Are those days marked by much upheaval in terms of heavier traffic, more tourists at sites etc?

Thanks,

Michael
Welcome to the forum, Personally I find Spring nicer than the wind in to Autumn. Not familiar with that area but here we have lots of spring and bank holiday markets as well.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:33 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Michael
Hi, welcome to the Forum!
You should avoid travelling over weekends when the public holidays fall on a Thursday, Friday, Monday or Tuesday. A lot of people take a day off to turn a normal weekend into a "bridge" or "viaduct" and visit places by car... There may be school holidays at the beginning of May, too (to be checked for both regions).
If I had to choose, I'd prefer September, after every one's got back from holiday and school has started.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

cyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond reputecyrian has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,

Michael
Hi
Both September and May can be delightful in the Loire valley.
The difference I find between the UK and the Loire is that the winters start later and spring begins earlier. i.e. winter is shorter.
Spring generally starts in March with lots of flowers in bloom and warm sunny days. Autumn continues into November and even December.
Therefore May and September easily fall within the better weather period.
This does not guarantee perfect weather and it can rain very heavily at any time.
The months you are considering will be fine for entry to the chateaux but I think that May would be better for the gardens like Villandry and Chambord and le prieuré de Saint Cosme.
You can also consider travelling down the Loire by bicycle see http://www.loireavelo.fr/

I am also familiar with the Auverne [Clermont ferrand] where the winters last longer then at Tours because of the volcanic mountains and the snow.

Hope you have a good trip.
Old Oct 14th 2011, 7:30 pm
Just Joined

wasleys is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks for helpful and friendly replies.

Looks like we're going to decide on September 2012, and who knows - maybe May 2013 too!

Michael
Old Apr 24th 2012, 10:29 am
Forum Regular

ChissayLuke is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, it looks like you have already made your decision, but for what it is worth, (and I can only speak for the Loire) I would definitely suggest May.
By September, the weather can be becoming quite Autumnal, and the season is definitely over, with less to do, and public gardens etc., becoming quite scuffed from a summer of wear and tear.
Whereas in May, everything is budding and gearing up for the season. All is fresh.