Reload this Page >

Ways of maximising employment in France

Ways of maximising employment in France

Old Dec 20th 2020, 11:20 am
Just Joined

Sycamore123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ways of maximising employment in France

Hello

We are hoping to move to France in the next 4-5 years. Currently I am an accounting technician, and my partner manages a hotel.
I speak french to quite a high standard, and my partner doesn’t.
I have been doing a lot of research on moving to France as an accountant, and it does seem quite difficult- I am due to start my chartered qualification shortly, and am currently wondering if it is worth a career change in order to maximise my chance of finding a French employer? Are there any jobs in France that are very in demand, and therefore training in that area would help with obtaining a visa?
Alternatively, would we be better off saving and buying an existing business (my partner has managed shops and hotels before), and using that as a way of getting a visa (providing that is an option after Brexit)?

It’s been a dream to move to France for a long time- and I was very lulled in by CIMA and ACCA claiming to be global qualifications, however it does look like that doesn’t really extend to France!

Thank you for your help.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 1:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ways of maximising employment in France

One of the problems with Brexit is that many UK qualifications will no longer be recognised in the EU so we could suggest something and you train and then ...sorry not qualified....
I do have sympathy as you clearly want to do the right thing to achieve your goal but it may be worth waiting to see what if anything comes out of the last minute negotiations
However be aware that EU law only allows the employment of a non EU national only as a last resort
Old Dec 20th 2020, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Listen Very Carefully
One of the problems with Brexit is that many UK qualifications will no longer be recognised in the EU so we could suggest something and you train and then ...sorry not qualified....
I do have sympathy as you clearly want to do the right thing to achieve your goal but it may be worth waiting to see what if anything comes out of the last minute negotiations
However be aware that EU law only allows the employment of a non EU national only as a last resort
Thank you very much for your response- it’s much appreciated.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with LVC.
At present there is still confusion about what will happen after 1.1.21. It will take a while for the dust to settle from that, before embassies are set up and get clarity on what visas will be available and what the criteria will be.
If at the end of the day Brits are subjected to the exact same rules as other TCNs, I suppose us Brits will be looking to Americans, Australians etc to share advice with us because the issues that are new for Brits are issues that they've been grappling with for years.
FWIW I think the "buying a business" route to a visa involves seriously high investment and also a commitment to provide employment, so the more you can save up the better if that's what you're aiming for.
Old Dec 20th 2020, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I agree with LVC.
At present there is still confusion about what will happen after 1.1.21. It will take a while for the dust to settle from that, before embassies are set up and get clarity on what visas will be available and what the criteria will be.
If at the end of the day Brits are subjected to the exact same rules as other TCNs, I suppose us Brits will be looking to Americans, Australians etc to share advice with us because the issues that are new for Brits are issues that they've been grappling with for years.
FWIW I think the "buying a business" route to a visa involves seriously high investment and also a commitment to provide employment, so the more you can save up the better if that's what you're aiming for.
Thank you, that’s very helpful- I suppose wait and see is the best option then!
Old Dec 21st 2020, 4:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sycamore123
Hello

We are hoping to move to France in the next 4-5 years. Currently I am an accounting technician, and my partner manages a hotel.
I speak french to quite a high standard, and my partner doesn’t.
I have been doing a lot of research on moving to France as an accountant, and it does seem quite difficult- I am due to start my chartered qualification shortly, and am currently wondering if it is worth a career change in order to maximise my chance of finding a French employer? Are there any jobs in France that are very in demand, and therefore training in that area would help with obtaining a visa?
Alternatively, would we be better off saving and buying an existing business (my partner has managed shops and hotels before), and using that as a way of getting a visa (providing that is an option after Brexit)?

It’s been a dream to move to France for a long time- and I was very lulled in by CIMA and ACCA claiming to be global qualifications, however it does look like that doesn’t really extend to France!

Thank you for your help.
Have you thought of checking out the vacancies pages of the international organizations based in France, specifically the OECD in Paris and the Council of Europe in Strasbourg?
No personal income tax and they take care of all the paperwork in terms of getting you - and your family members - residence permits. The salaries are good too.
Old Dec 21st 2020, 9:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

One of the problems with Brexit is that many UK qualifications will no longer be recognised in the EU
This doesn't appear to be true. Can you post evidence to your statement or are you just guessing?
Old Dec 21st 2020, 12:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malcom1970
This doesn't appear to be true. Can you post evidence to your statement or are you just guessing?
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info..._inst_en_0.pdf
p.17
As of 1 January 2021, the United Kingdom will no longer be covered by Union rules on the recognition of professional qualifications, and the recognition of qualifications obtained in EU Member States by the United Kingdom will be a matter of UK law. UK nationals, irrespective of where they acquired their qualifications, and EU citizens with qualifications acquired in the United Kingdom will need to have them recognised in the 18 relevant Member State on the basis of that country’s rules for third-country nationals and/or third-country qualifications as of the end of the transition period.

Seems quite clear...
Old Dec 21st 2020, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you ET for saving me some research
Brexit the gift that keeps on taking
And really this is what is so sad about Brexit It is denying a lot of young people the chance to broaden their horizons seek employment opportunities learn new skills and perhaps even find the love of their life Now all sadly reduced because of a mythical unicorn

Last edited by Listen Very Carefully; Dec 21st 2020 at 1:54 pm.
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 9:23 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat077 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
https://ec.europa.eu/info/sites/info..._inst_en_0.pdf
p.17
As of 1 January 2021, the United Kingdom will no longer be covered by Union rules on the recognition of professional qualifications, and the recognition of qualifications obtained in EU Member States by the United Kingdom will be a matter of UK law. UK nationals, irrespective of where they acquired their qualifications, and EU citizens with qualifications acquired in the United Kingdom will need to have them recognised in the 18 relevant Member State on the basis of that country’s rules for third-country nationals and/or third-country qualifications as of the end of the transition period.

Seems quite clear...
That doesn't mean qualifications will definitely recognised. It will be decided case by case by the host country. It's not the end of the world,
Old Dec 22nd 2020, 4:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by malcom1970
That doesn't mean qualifications will definitely recognised.
Not sure what you're saying, Should this read, "That doesn't mean qualifications will definiitely NOT BE recognised"?
No it's not the end of the world, but it is a potential obstacle for those that it affects.

Old Dec 23rd 2020, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Helen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond reputeHelen1964 has a reputation beyond repute

The OP could save themselves a lot of hassle regarding équivalence (which seems to have always been an issue in practice in France whether the country that issued the qualification is in the EU or not) by getting a job at the OECD or the CoE. These organisations aren’t subject to the usual French rules and are receptive to all sorts of qualifications. They have finance departments and payroll, so there’s always a demand for people with a background in accountancy.
And as I said, if they recuit you from outside France they’ll sort you out with a residence permit and - if you’re married - one for your spouse too.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 8:55 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

...Brexit It is denying a lot of young people the chance to broaden their horizons seek employment opportunities learn new skills and perhaps even find the love of their life
That is quite simply not true - a touch of paranoia, perhaps? Brits have been travelling to, working and living in, broadening their horizons in and finding romance in Europe for centuries. Just like millions of people from around the world - who have never benefited from EU status - are doing right now.
Old Dec 26th 2020, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Yes the rich have been travelling in Europe for centuries Ordinary people who need to work for a living will find it very difficult to move to the EU I have a pension so do not need to work
And do you think the UK scheme to replace Erasmus will actually be the same? Of course not
Old Dec 26th 2020, 9:27 am
On a grand tour

tooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond reputetooboocoo has a reputation beyond repute

Ordinary people who need to work for a living will find it very difficult to move to the EU - on what exactly do you base this sweeping, doom-laden statement?

Not sure of the relevance of Erasmus to this topic but why should a replacement scheme "actually be the same?"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.