Visa options

Old Feb 18th 2022, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Marleydog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visa options

Hi Everyone
So my story is my wife & I are both 60 & I recieve a Pension which more than covers the requirements for a French visa. I'm semi retired only work couple of days a week at most basically just to keep active.
We've looked at a property in France which we would like to move to permanently (currently in UK)
The property has a separate building currently used as a Gite, we would like to carry on with the Gite we don't expect to get rich with this I just am not ready to fully retire yet and just see it as a hobby project.
My question is what visa do we need? Someone suggested there is a self employed option I've also been told about a business visa as We're taking over a existing business but we are not relying on this to make a living.
Any help greatly appreciated
Old Feb 18th 2022, 3:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visa options

This is the visa wizard https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/...soin-d-un-visa
I think if you follow it through, it will give information on the full range of visa options.

Actually this same question has been asked several times since Brexit and I don't think any of us know the answer.

The general premise as I have always understood is that as an immigrant you need to have a clear status.
Either an applicant wants be economcally active in which case they need to convince the visa authorities that they have skills to offer that France needs, or a business idea that will open up new markets, or they will be making a major investment that will create employment and contribute significantly to the French economy. Basically it's a case of, what's in it for France? Ideally the person will be bringing something with them - skills that France is short of, a business idea in a new sector that France doesn't already have or wants to develop, something that will give an economic boost to their locality or raise France's profile internationally, kind of thing.

Or, the applicant will be economically inactive and has enough money to support themself, in which case they have to sign a sworn statement not to engage in any professional activity in France. France is perfectly happy for self supporting inactives to live here and enjoy France and have a nice retirement and pay their taxes, just like it's happy for investors and talented entrepreneurs to set up here and contribute to France's economy. What it doesn't want, is to let immigrants in who are going to tap into the economy and dilute it, taking jobs away from French or EU citizens or setting up their own businesses that are going to compete for market share with existing French businesses..

So the big question is, does France class running a gite as a professional activity, or not?
In some ways it does seem to be treated as a professional activity in that you need to apply for a siret number and you have legislation and regulations to comply with.
On the other hand, in terms of tax it is possible subject to certain conditions to declare gite revenue as "non professional income".
So if you've signed an undertaking not to engage in any professional activity, does that bar you from running a gite?
I don't know the answer.
My gut feeling is that the option to come to France to run a hobby business may have ended for Brits with freedom of movement. I say that partly because I have never come across any TCN who has immigrated here from the US, Australia etc and started a hobby business. Either they are in skilled jobs or running a high powered business, or they are fully retired. But maybe that's simply because wanting to run a gite is a Brit thing, and the last thing other nationalities want to do when they no longer need to work and they've retired to France to finally enjoy their well-earned retirement, is to start trying to wrap their heads round French business systems and work to give other people a good holiday.

Sorry that's probably not helpful, but if/when you find out, do come back and tell us!

Last edited by EuroTrash; Feb 18th 2022 at 3:08 pm.
Old Feb 19th 2022, 7:00 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
This is the visa wizard https://france-visas.gouv.fr/en/web/...soin-d-un-visa
I think if you follow it through, it will give information on the full range of visa options.

Actually this same question has been asked several times since Brexit and I don't think any of us know the answer.

The general premise as I have always understood is that as an immigrant you need to have a clear status.
Either an applicant wants be economcally active in which case they need to convince the visa authorities that they have skills to offer that France needs, or a business idea that will open up new markets, or they will be making a major investment that will create employment and contribute significantly to the French economy. Basically it's a case of, what's in it for France? Ideally the person will be bringing something with them - skills that France is short of, a business idea in a new sector that France doesn't already have or wants to develop, something that will give an economic boost to their locality or raise France's profile internationally, kind of thing.

Or, the applicant will be economically inactive and has enough money to support themself, in which case they have to sign a sworn statement not to engage in any professional activity in France. France is perfectly happy for self supporting inactives to live here and enjoy France and have a nice retirement and pay their taxes, just like it's happy for investors and talented entrepreneurs to set up here and contribute to France's economy. What it doesn't want, is to let immigrants in who are going to tap into the economy and dilute it, taking jobs away from French or EU citizens or setting up their own businesses that are going to compete for market share with existing French businesses..

So the big question is, does France class running a gite as a professional activity, or not?
In some ways it does seem to be treated as a professional activity in that you need to apply for a siret number and you have legislation and regulations to comply with.
On the other hand, in terms of tax it is possible subject to certain conditions to declare gite revenue as "non professional income".
So if you've signed an undertaking not to engage in any professional activity, does that bar you from running a gite?
I don't know the answer.
My gut feeling is that the option to come to France to run a hobby business may have ended for Brits with freedom of movement. I say that partly because I have never come across any TCN who has immigrated here from the US, Australia etc and started a hobby business. Either they are in skilled jobs or running a high powered business, or they are fully retired. But maybe that's simply because wanting to run a gite is a Brit thing, and the last thing other nationalities want to do when they no longer need to work and they've retired to France to finally enjoy their well-earned retirement, is to start trying to wrap their heads round French business systems and work to give other people a good holiday.

Sorry that's probably not helpful, but if/when you find out, do come back and tell us!

Can the Govt. link be made into a Sticky?
Old Feb 19th 2022, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu

Can the Govt. link be made into a Sticky?
I wonder if maybe we ought to review all the Stickies. I suspect Brexit will have made some of them obsolete.
Old Feb 19th 2022, 7:15 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I have made the link into a sticky. For goodness sake ET please stop reading my mind because I was about to ask whether a couple of you very knowledgeable people could review the stickies and tell me what needs to be changed or removed.

Rosemary
Old Feb 19th 2022, 7:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I do think it needs doing and I would offer but I'm supposedly busy with work right now, and if I start letting myself go down rabbit holes to check out whether stickies are still up to date I will start missing deadlines, I lack rigour and I'm easily distracted from work! But I should have time next month when this project will be put to bed, so I could help out then if you want, if there is still anything to be done.
Old Feb 19th 2022, 7:34 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EuroTrash
I do think it needs doing and I would offer but I'm supposedly busy with work right now, and if I start letting myself go down rabbit holes to check out whether stickies are still up to date I will start missing deadlines, I lack rigour and I'm easily distracted from work! But I should have time next month when this project will be put to bed, so I could help out then if you want, if there is still anything to be done.
That would be fine. Spring cleaning!!!!

Rosemary
Old Feb 19th 2022, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Listen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond reputeListen Very Carefully has a reputation beyond repute

IMO what the OP wants to do was perfectly viable Pre Brexit -in fact many expats did just that .However I cannot see how you can mix things up Either you have ample income to begin with or you need to make money in which case you need a business visa and running one gite will not give you ample income
So I think that you either need to go the whole hog and get an up and running full time business or just live off your pensions but as ET says this is a grey area
If you are concerned about not having enough to do then there are plenty of charities and other organisations you can join Each autumn covid permitting most towns run a open house where all the local groups get together where people can see what is on offer in terms of hobbies etc