British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   France (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/)
-   -   Video Phone advice wanted (https://britishexpats.com/forum/france-76/video-phone-advice-wanted-910424/)

audio Mar 14th 2018 8:57 pm

Video Phone advice wanted

I would like to set up a phone/video link using Windows 10 and Sosh ADSL.

Help please?

Pulaski Mar 14th 2018 10:08 pm

Re: Video Phone advice wanted

Skype? :unsure:

audio Mar 15th 2018 9:55 am

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12462916)
Skype? :unsure:

Thanks Pulaski but I have heard some unfavourable reports

petitefrancaise Mar 15th 2018 5:50 pm

I use skype for work all the time. works fine but does rely upon a decent wifi service.
FB messenger?

Pulaski Mar 15th 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12463590)
I use skype for work all the time. works fine but does rely upon a decent wifi service. ...

It works perfectly on our wifi around the house - but wifi is down to the wifi base station - if you buy a cheap one it might give you problems but then you'd have no one to blame but yourself. I also use it on our desktop. No problems either way.

Originally Posted by audio (Post 12463198)

Such as? :unsure: ..... Skype has been the brand leader for home videophone service on computers, tablets and phones for a decade. What could you possibly have heard that you would dismiss it out of hand? .... And when it is free to download and free to use (to other Skype users), what do you have to lose by trying it? :confused:

petitefrancaise Mar 15th 2018 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12463716)
It works perfectly on our wifi around the house - but wifi is down to the wifi base station - if you buy a cheap one it might give you problems but then you'd have no one to blame but yourself. I also use it on our desktop. No problems either way.

Such as? :unsure: ..... Skype has been the brand leader for home videophone service on computers, tablets and phones for a decade. What could you possibly have heard that you would dismiss it out of hand? .... And when it is free to download and free to use (to other Skype users), what do you have to lose by trying it? :confused:

Nice.

I suppose it's way too obvious to say that both ends require good wifi connection?

FB messenger seems to work much more easily with fewer hiccups.

kimilseung Mar 15th 2018 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by audio (Post 12463198)

If you need something more then what about this:
Adobe web conferencing software

https://www.adobe.com/products/adobe...eeconnect.html

Pulaski Mar 15th 2018 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12463757)
.... I suppose it's way too obvious to say that both ends require good wifi connection?

FB messenger seems to work much more easily with fewer hiccups.

I suppose it's way too obvious to say that both ends require a Farcebook account. :unsure:

petitefrancaise Mar 15th 2018 11:59 pm

Google hangouts is another option but obviously requires a gmail account.

Just as an aside, I have a US google voice number which I don't use unless I'm in EU to make very cheap calls without having to upgrade my US mobile phone plan. Audio, if you have a US gmail account, you could also think about doing this. I don't think it is available to non-US gmail accounts though.

audio Mar 16th 2018 10:10 am

On another forum, there have been complaints of unreliability and software update issues with Skype
I need to have a business video link with the US so I want to avoid hiccups!

‘Go to Meeting’ and ‘00V00’ seem good for this purpose.

Thanks for your posts.

audio Mar 16th 2018 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 12463772)

Kimilseung

Just what I’m looking for, thank you.

uk_grenada Mar 16th 2018 10:15 pm

Apple users have FaceTime and the rest can use Facebook or WhatsApp. If you have an office 365 account you get free Skype time to pstn users and conferencing or anyone can do Skype to Skype.

Underlying issues are in 2 places, smallest piece of pipe in the link plus how smart is the codec or codecs it uses which are chargeable things themselves. For codecs FaceTime and Facebook have the best options, Skype is so so, whatsapp not wonderful...

kimilseung Mar 16th 2018 10:18 pm

If you are using it for business I recommend a pop-up style photography background and stand with a light or two too.
Eg https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/buy/C...7/N/3659994757