Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Victor Hugo, Vidocq etc

Victor Hugo, Vidocq etc

Old Nov 5th 2018, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Victor Hugo, Vidocq etc

For those fascinated by French history & literature, I thought this might be worth sharing.
Apart from possibly remembering the very attractive 500 franc/5NF French banknote, I'm sure that most of you know that Victor Hugo was one of the greatest and well-known of poets, novelists and dramatists. His Les Miserables, and The Hunchback of Notre-Dame will be familiar to many. I've been particularly looking forward to a new 4-part series starting this evening (Mon) on France 2 tv, dramatising the life of V. Hugo.

Also of note is a newly announced film, 'L'Empereur de Paris' / The Emperor of Paris. Action takes place in early nineteeth century Paris, the Arc de Triumphe is still under construction and the legendary, real-life convict turned detective Francois Vidocq is the talk of Paris. He became the founder and first director of the Surete Nationale and head of the first known private detective agency. He is considered by historians as being the father of modern criminology. There have been no shortages of French tv series based on Vidocq, and even several full-length feature films, but with Vincent Cassel playing the lead role on this ocasion, it's a film that I believe is worthy of mention, and one I don't want to miss in Dec.

Last edited by Tweedpipe; Nov 5th 2018 at 7:52 am.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond reputeEuroTrash has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victor Hugo, Vidocq etc

Thanks for the heads up on the film. I went to a very interesting lecture on Vidocq a while ago, what a fascinating character he was. I came home and meant to follow it up by reading some of his books, as you do, but of course I never did and now I've forgotten most of what I heard. But will definitely look out for the film.
Old Nov 5th 2018, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond reputeTweedpipe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Victor Hugo, Vidocq etc

Pleased that you found it of some interest.
I was reading that in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, there is a Vidocq Society, a members only, crime-solving club who meet once a month, paying an annual fee for the privilege. The members - selected by committee invitation only, are forensic professionals, homicide investigators, FBI profilers, coroners etc, who use their experience on cold-case investigations.
Crime chat over lunch.......Fascinating!