Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Vegetarians in France

Vegetarians in France

Old Sep 13th 2017, 9:38 pm
JWL
Forum Regular

JWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond reputeJWL has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Vegetarians in France

Originally Posted by scot47
How many vegetarians are there in France ?

How many vegetarians in France visit restaurants ?
Yeah, but you don't really have to BE veggie to have at least a modicum of sense about what that means.

I'm not Muslim or Hindu, but I think I'd basically know what is OK/not OK for them to eat.
Old Sep 14th 2017, 8:12 am
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

That is an interesting question Scot 47. I know 3 true vegetarians who are French and several others who are pescatarians ie they eat fish but not meat.

That doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to visit a restaurant if they wish.

There are also more and more folk from all over the world who have or claim to have (don't get me on that particular soap box) special dietary requirements, gluten free, dairy-free etc. I just have to look at the difference in the shelves of my local suoermarket to realise thet they are being catered for - and retailers are jumping on that particular band wagon.

This however is good news for those with genuine food alergies and conditions such a coeliac disease
Old Sep 15th 2017, 12:09 am
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grannybunz
There are also more and more folk from all over the world who have or claim to have (don't get me on that particular soap box) special dietary requirements, gluten free, dairy-free etc. I just have to look at the difference in the shelves of my local suoermarket to realise thet they are being catered for - and retailers are jumping on that particular band wagon.

This however is good news for those with genuine food alergies and conditions such a coeliac disease
You can join me on the soap box GB!!

Didn't we have someone on here recently moaning about the lack of choice for them in hospital.
My son has coeliac disease and it makes my blood boil when people tell me that they choose to be gluten free. Then they go drink their decidedly not GF beer and tell me that there's so little in it that it doesn't matter. HUMPH!!!
Old Sep 15th 2017, 7:22 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
You can join me on the soap box GB!!

Didn't we have someone on here recently moaning about the lack of choice for them in hospital.
My son has coeliac disease and it makes my blood boil when people tell me that they choose to be gluten free. Then they go drink their decidedly not GF beer and tell me that there's so little in it that it doesn't matter. HUMPH!!!
I posted the thread about the problems for vegetarians in hospital, but I wasn't moaning! I was simply warning BE members of the issue, following a thread from a Moaning Minnie on another forum. I entirely agree that there's no reason why hospitals/canteens should cater for life-style diets, but medically justified and religious diets should be respected.
(P.S. i'm happy to say that my distant vegetarian daughters have taken my warning on board and can count on partners/friends for nourishment if the need arises.)