Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > France
Reload this Page >

Utilities etc..

Utilities etc..

Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:32 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Utilities etc..

Originally Posted by HarvsUK
It took M. Google 0.36 seconds to come up with 09 69 36 39 00

Thank you for your response. This is exactly the number which I rang and which is entirely in French, hence my query to the forum.

Thanks again.
Then I apologise for wasting your time. Could you perhaps ask a neighbour or even someone at the mairie to dial it for you and click through the menus to reach the english speaking help line for you?

Old Jan 28th 2019, 12:54 pm
Just Joined

HarvsUK is an unknown quantity at this point

No issue at all, Thank you for trying to assist me. I shall indeed speak with the Mairie, it is just that we have a dose of English weather here at the moment, so I have been trying to not go out in it!
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You surely know someone who can help you do these things in French ! Relying on a site like this is not a stp into self-reliance. What next ? A request here to help you find a supermarket that sells Heinz Baked Beans ?

Last edited by scot47; Jan 28th 2019 at 1:23 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:23 pm
Just Joined

HarvsUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scot47
You surely know someone who can help you do these things in French !
Sadly not at the current time.
Old Jan 28th 2019, 1:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

grannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond reputegrannybunz has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you are feeling so isolated and am assuming that you really are out in the sicks with no neighbours? In this case, as long as you are not snowed in or unable to drive then really it's up to you to get to know a few people. There are all sorts of ways you could do this, from simple things like going to the nearest bar and introducing yourself, going to church if you are that way inclined even registering with a GP and having a chat with him or her. There may also be clubs or societies - chess, cards. art etc. These people probably won't come to you . You have to make the first move.
The mairie really is an important port of call. We are lucky to live in a very friendly hameau and we were made very welcome from the off - 25+ years ago but even so if the weather is really hot or really cold, as over 70s, we are called by the mairie to ask if we need anythin
Good luck but as my Geordie Granny used to say "Shy bairns get nowt"

Last edited by grannybunz; Jan 28th 2019 at 1:53 pm. Reason: Typos
Old Jan 28th 2019, 7:00 pm
Quien no sabe

Chatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond reputeChatter Static has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarvsUK
Hi, this is my first post. I just have bought a property in Maubourguet, SW France, and wish to get a broadband connection ASAP. I have tried to ring the Orange English speaking service, but it all appears to be in French, and as yet, my French is insufficient to be able to interact with the verbal menu system. Does anyone have a number which connects directly to the Orange English speaking service? Thanks in advance.

The NRA "exchange" is 65304MBG and is a dégroupage "Unbundled" exchange so your choices for providers for Haut Debit "Broadband are Orange, SFR, Free, Bouygues Telecom and OVH. Orange, Free and Bouygues have VDSL2 equipped Dslams so they will be the fastest providers depending on your proximity to the exchange.

Orange no longer sell landlines for new customers or connections you get Haut Debit "Broadband and phone service is provided via VOIP, landlines will be phased out as customers move etc etc